What was the reason for the muslims of ethiopia fighting alongside us in the Adal war ?

CALMONE20###

Roots in Somaliland + Somali Region ✝️
The Afar,hadiya ,hararis amongst many others voluntarily joined Axmed Gurey's army to help us .Was there an encroachment into their land by the Ethiopian kingdoms? What is the background behind this?

The Afar,hadiya ,hararis amongst many others voluntarily joined Axmed Gurey's army to help us .Was there an encroachment into their land by the Ethiopian kingdoms? What is the background behind this?
The Christians were oppressing everyone and demanding tax. They would raid the muslim regions that didn't comply. Eventually they burnt zeila to the ground and imam Ahmed rose up an army and attacked the Ethiopian empire and they lost there imperial status from the years of war but eventually they absorbed all those regions over time forming modern day Ethiopia but back then they weren't apart of Ethiopia but there own separate kingdoms however most of them were tributary states.

This vid goes into more detail

The Awdal Sultanate was multi-ethnic. Although Somalis made up the majority of its ruling class & population the other Muslim ethnicities such as the Hararis were a integral part of the state.

To answer your question tho, the Abyssinian Monarchy & the Muslim Sultanates had amicable relations at first but hostilities formed over the control of trade routes/taxation. The Monarchy would force tribute from the Muslim Sultanates & raid those that didn't comply into submission. This is what eventually lead to the campaigns of Imam Ahmed against Abyssinia.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
The Awdal Sultanate was multi-ethnic. Although Somalis made up the majority of its ruling class & population the other Muslim ethnicities such as the Hararis were a integral part of the state.

To answer your question tho, the Abyssinian Monarchy & the Muslim Sultanates had amicable relations at first but hostilities formed over the control of trade routes/taxation. The Monarchy would force tribute from the Muslim Sultanates & raid those that didn't comply into submission. This is what eventually lead to the campaigns of Imam Ahmed against Abyssinia.
Tbh i don't buy into an Islamic Caliphate where Somalis would be a tiny minority to all the MENA people.
I would prefer a Muslim empire in the Horn like Ahmed Gurey probably envisioned.
I wonder what would happen if we put ethnic and clan disputes to the side and built An Islamic empire of all Cushites in the horn.

The harari/harla are the founders of the adal sultanate alongside somalis, many sultans were harla as were soldiers and emirs, they are adalites themselves and the sultanate was multiethnic. The afar did not fight with Imam Ahmed and are not mentioned in futh al habash by my knowledge. The hadiya had their own sultanate which was conquered by the Ethiopians so they asked Adal for support.

The harari/harla are the founders of the adal sultanate alongside somalis, many sultans were harla as were soldiers and emirs, they are adalites themselves and the sultanate was multiethnic. The afar did not fight with Imam Ahmed and are not mentioned in futh al habash by my knowledge. The hadiya had their own sultanate which was conquered by the Ethiopians so they asked Adal for support.
Afars didn't exist around the Adal borders during that time. After Adal collapsed they invaded the Dir valley from the Danakiil depression kicking out the Gurgurga Harla Karanle and Habar Maqdi Samaroon that dwelled in the area, renaming it to the Awash Valley.

Before Afars invaded, Somalis in the Dir Valley used to border Amharas. Isn't that crazy to think of? 😂 polar opposites ethnicities living side by side. 16th century east Africa was a interesting place.

CALMONE20###

Afars didn't exist around the Adal borders during that time. After Adal collapsed they invaded the Dir valley from the Danakiil depression kicking out the Gurgurga Harla Karanle and Habar Maqdi Samaroon that dwelled in the area, renaming it to the Awash Valley.

Before Afars invaded, Somalis in the Dir Valley used to border Amharas. Isn't that crazy to think of? 😂 polar opposites ethnicities living side by side. 16th century east Africa was a interesting place.
That's crazy. If we bordered Amharas we'd probably become a Harar 2.0.

That's crazy. If we bordered Amharas we'd probably become a Harar 2.0.
It might become a reality soon. Ciise have been slowly retaking the Awash from Afars for the last 200 years. That's the main reason for the conflicts in Siti. Afars see the lands Ciise dwell in as their tradional territory.

CALMONE20###

It might become a reality soon. Ciise have been slowly retaking the Awash from Afars for the last 200 years. That's the main reason for the conflicts in Siti. Afars see the lands Ciise dwell in as their tradional territory.
Speaking of Afars,how do you guys view Amharas historically. Did Afars have sultanates?

Speaking of Afars,how do you guys view Amharas historically. Did Afars have sultanates?
I'm a fake Afar lol I can't cap during ramadan 😂 lakiin I know a few things about their history.

They did have a sultanate called the Aussa Sultanate that was established after the collapse of Adal. They flourished from the early 17th century until 1936 when they were conqured by mussolini's fascist army. Their territory was claimed by the Habeshas and internationally recognized as such but was never controlled by them. The Afars were defacto independent similar to the Somaliland - Somalia situation today.

Afars don't view Amharas positively. They had an indepdence movement in the 70's that was crushed by the Derg.

CALMONE20###

@CALMONE20### @Danakiil @reer_ugaas_hussein

Afars are spoken of in Ethiopian records as helping Amdatseyon in a campaign beyond the Awash(presumably against the Somalis and Harla people) & being allied with Emperor Baeda Maryam I in the 15th century.

-Ethiopian borderlands by Pankhurst
Aren't Afars Muslim. Why were they helping Amda Seyon,especially when the guy was killing ethiopian muslims.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
The actual question would be « why did Somalis joined the struggle »

Any evidence that Somalis made up the majority ? Some of you people need to stop recycling whatever you read online that is not cited.

Aren't Afars Muslim. Why were they helping Amda Seyon,especially when the guy was killing ethiopian muslims.
Because they are coons. My bad in my initial comment on afar at the end I messed up they're suck ups to Amharas but beef Tigrinyas HARD. Apparently for over 800 years according to some Afar elders :dead: they were gladly assisting in the genocide of Tigrayans a year ago.

CALMONE20###

Because they are coons. My bad in my initial comment on afar at the end I messed up they're suck ups to Amharas but beef Tigrinyas HARD. Apparently for over 800 years according to some Afar elders :dead: they were gladly assisting in the genocide of Tigrayans a year ago.
What's the reason for the conflict with Tigrayans?

The actual question would be « why did Somalis joined the struggle »

Any evidence that Somalis made up the majority ? Some of you people need to stop recycling whatever you read online that is not cited.
Here's the genealogy of Reer Harla, a subclan of Darood assimilated by Afar after their conquest of the Dir Valley.

Screenshot_20230325-154045_OneDrive.jpg

And here's the source: islhornafr.eu/ReportAwsa2017.pdf