What percentage of somali people marry out?

Familjen Khan Säger Till Blattar Där När Det Är Läggdags
one direction laughing GIF

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Not even close. I don't know where you guys live where 1 in 5 somali marriages are interracial. More like 5% imo
I live in Canada bro i think its the most average of interracial marriages in the world imo.

No matter the ethnicity its too liberal here, everybody mixes. I would say the guys are more tho from my experience

I live in Canada bro i think its the most average of interracial marriages in the world imo.

No matter the ethnicity its too liberal here, everybody mixes. I would say the guys are more tho from my experience
what percentage would you estimate it at?

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
what percentage would you estimate it at?
Just an estimation for somali id say 10%, the post above i was talking the general population not just somalis. In canada from south asians to whites to latins to whatever you'll see them dating anyone.

For somalis tho id say marriage is 10%, dating however is more. People f*ck around alot here

Not THAT common, it's frowned upon and you'll be seen as kind of a joke if you do.

However love is love imo as long as they're Muslim feel free to marry them

Any estimates?

It is very uncommon and Somali men marry out at a slightly higher rate than Somali women.

These are the stats i could find:

In Norway : 5.4% of Somali men marry out and only 1.1% of Somali women marry out according to this: Who Do Immigrants in Norway Marry

A very small percentage of both men and women with backgrounds from Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka married a Norwegian person in 2004. Additionally, among Vietnamese men, only 1 per cent married a Norwegian. The percentage who found a Norwegian partner without an immigrant background was much higher among Vietnamese women (23 per cent).

In America: 17% of Somali men marry out and 14% of Somali women marry out. Somalis have the lowest outmarriage rates in America it is even lower than Yemeni

Overall, Arab Americans continue to exhibit high rates of intermarriage. In 2007-11, 74% of Arab men and 69% of Arab women had non-Arab spouses. These high rates of intermarriage, however, mask some degree of differentiation across different ancestries. The great majority of Lebanese men and women out-marry (87% and 85% respectively), with Syrians, Algerians and Moroccans also showing high rates. The lowest rates of outmarriage are found among Yemenis and Somalis (below 25% for both sexes). Women exhibit comparable but slightly lower rates of intermarriage across ancestries.

It is difficult to find stats on Somalis in the UK because they take census by nationality and lump them all under the umbrella of ''Black African'' until recently. and same goes for Canada. But i think the results would be similar overall.

Last edited:
Marrying out is never going to be common for either gender, it goes beyond culture frowning on it. Like the above study in America i have shown and they have updated that study anually and the stats on Somalis don't really budge much.

Somalis are Darkskinned Africans and Muslims and that makes it much more unlikely for us to marry out more in the west. That study i showed above AbdiGaalDon's comments said this:

A further line of reasoning stresses the role of skin color, particularly in societies marked by racial hierarchies. Arabs tend to be of similar skin color as most Americans, so that attitudes toward Arab American intermarriage may be expected to be generally favorable. On the other hand, Somalis and Yemenis tend to be darker-skinned, which leads us to expect lower out-marriage rates for these ancestry groups in particular. Such potential barriers to assimilation may have been compounded by the fears that many Americans expressed about Arabs in the wake of the events of 9/1

Somalis even on this thread love to exaggerate and make stuff up. But the simple fact that we take notice every time a Somali marries out, and make big deal out of it. Shows how uncommon it actually is in reality.

I mean look at how you guys made a big deal when i posted this one Holland Somali rapper had a white dutch baby mama https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...usic-industry-in-holland.122656/#post-3099351

Yall went ape sh*t over this one Somali guy having a baby with a white woman and theorizing around mixed children. If it was more common that would never happen.

Last edited:
It is very uncommon and Somali men marry out at a slightly higher rate than Somali women.

These are the stats i could find:

In Norway : 5.4% of Somali men marry out and only 1.1% of Somali women marry out according to this: Who Do Immigrants in Norway Marry

In America: 17% of Somali men marry out and 14% of Somali women marry out. Somalis have the lowest outmarriage rates in America it is even lower than Yemeni

It is difficult to find stats on Somalis in the UK because they take census by nationality and lump them all under the umbrella of ''Black African'' until recently. and same goes for Canada. But i think the results would be similar overall.

Marrying out is never going to be common for either gender, it goes beyond culture frowning on it. Like the above study in America i have shown and they have updated that study anually and the stats on Somalis don't really budge much.

Somalis are Darkskinned Africans and Muslims and that makes it much more unlikely for us to marry out more in the west. That study i showed above AbdiGaalDon's comments said this:

Somalis even on this thread love to exaggerate and make stuff up. But the simple fact that we take notice every time a Somali marries out, and make big deal out of it. Shows how uncommon it actually is in reality.

I mean look at how you guys made a big deal when i posted this one Holland Somali rapper had a white dutch baby mama https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...usic-industry-in-holland.122656/#post-3099351

Yall went ape sh*t over this one Somali guy having a baby with a white woman and theorizing around mixed children. If it was more common that would never happen.

Stats for americans might be even smaller. America looks at nationality, not ethnicity or language.

So somali from Kenya or Ethiopia marrying each other or a someone from Somalia would be registered as marrying out.

I think stats for muricans would be same as norwegians. Especially as those stats reflect on our parents generation and those who came recently from Somalia. They are very insular group of people.

Somalis, especially those born or raised in the west will marry out more. This is why we can see more interracial marriages across social media and real life. Granted this is extremely overblown.

The number would still be small. I would speculate that 5-10% will marry out maybe slightly more. Most groups marry each other and that will be the case for us.

Stats for americans might be even smaller. America looks at nationality, not ethnicity or language.

So somali from Kenya or Ethiopia marrying each other or a someone from Somalia would be registered as marrying out.

I think stats for muricans would be same as norwegians. Especially as those stats reflect on our parents generation and those who came recently from Somalia. They are very insular group of people.

Somalis, especially those born or raised in the west will marry out more. This is why we can see more interracial marriages across social media and real life. Granted this is extremely overblown.

The number would still be small. I would speculate that 5-10% will marry out maybe slightly more. Most groups marry each other and that will be the case for us.

In the norwegian stats they include Somalis born and raised in Norway and its 7.0% for Men and 3.4%for women. So it is only a 2% increase.

American stats are really low , for example compare it to Arabs who marry out 87% born in America and 58% foreign born. The overral Somalis who marry out is extremely love because both the native born and the foreing born marry out a very low rate.

We don't see many interracial marriages in real life, The stories you hear from Somalis are all anecdotal and when wedding season comes around is always Somalis marrying other Somalis. You always hear ajanabis comment on or complain about how Somalis usallly don't marrry foreingers and social media is very misleading because most of it is anecdotal, it be like a town with 10k Somali population, all of them except for 1 marries inside and that 1 person who marries out rushes to spam it all over Social media. It makes it seem more common than it actually is.

Social media in many ways also shows how uncommon it is because if it was, people would be used to it and not really make a big deal out of it. See how other ethnicities that marry out more don't make a controversy out of it.

Last edited:

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
In the norwegian stats they include Somalis born and raised in Norway and its 7.0% for Men and 3.4%for women. So it is only a 2% increase.

American stats are really low , for example compare it to Arabs who marry out 87% born in America and 58% foreign born. The overral Somalis who marry out is extremely love because both the native born and the foreing born marry out a very low rate.

We don't see many interracial marriages in real life, The stories you hear from Somalis are all anecdotal and when wedding season comes around is always Somalis marrying other Somalis. You always hear ajanabis comment on or complain about how Somalis usallly don't marrry foreingers and social media is very misleading because most of it is anecdotal, it be like a town with 10k Somali population, all of them except for 1 marries inside and that 1 person who marries out rushes to spam it all over Social media. It makes it seem more common than it actually is.

Social media in many ways also shows how uncommon it is because if it was, people would be used to it and not really make a big deal out of it. See how other ethnicities that marry out more don't make a controversy out of it.
You right social media especially Instagram and TikTok does make it seem more than it is. From the constant vids on these platforms you would think it’s a lot. Probably isn’t you right

You right social media especially Instagram and TikTok does make it seem more than it is. From the constant vids on these platforms you would think it’s a lot. Probably isn’t you right

Even on social media i see most often Somali couples and weddings but they don't attract the same level of attention and controversy, because it is normal , common and boring.

Trending

Latest posts