What language is the closest to Somali?

Apollo

VIP
Toss up between Reerdinle and Afar

It's definitely Rendille. Some Somalis don't like this fact because of their strange culture. :lol:

They were essentially Somalis who split from Somalis right before Islam and then culturally adopted Samburu/Maasai customs around the Middle Ages up to today.

Even as reer dhaqan celis I can understand Rendille clips, while I don't understand anything from Afar besides the few Arabic loanwords.

Oromo is also closer to Somali than Afar, but barely and is way more distant than Rendille-Somali split (~2,000-1,500 years ago). The Afar/Oromo-Somali split is more around 4,000-3,000 years ago.

PS. Rendille is a dying language. Many of them are outright language shifting towards Samburu and/or Kenyan English & Swahili.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
@Apollo speak for yourself, when I watch Journal Afar ( Afar Djibouti news) I understand half of it.

Afaan Oroomo is too diverse, the closest to Somali is the dialect spoken in Hararghe regions.

Rendille is it even another language, its like a dialect of Somali. I would not include that.

Apollo

VIP
@Apollo speak for yourself, when I watch Journal Afar ( Afar Djibouti news) I understand half of it.

Afaan Oroomo is too diverse, the closest to Somali is the dialect spoken in Hararghe regions.

Rendille is it even another language, its like a dialect of Somali. I would not include that.

Oromo is not that close to Somali though.

It is on the same level as difference between Irish (Gaelic) and Italian.

Somali is an old ass language without close linguistic relatives besides Rendille (they broke off somewhere between 500 BCE and 500 CE).

Germanic languages (like English, Norwegian, German, Dutch etc) are closer to each other than Somali is to any other language.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
Oromo is not that close to Somali though.

It is on the same level as difference between Irish (Gaelic) and Italian.

Somali is an old ass language without close linguistic relatives besides Rendille (they broke off somewhere between 500 BCE and 500 CE).

Germanic languages (like English, Norwegian, German, Dutch etc) are closer to each other than Somali is to any other language.

You could keep reading those gaalo linguistic books, and agree with what the whiteman says about our beautiful languages, I just go by what I understand and hear. What they say is not gospel.

Apollo

VIP
You could keep reading those gaalo linguistic books, and agree with what the whiteman says about our beautiful languages, I just go by what I understand and hear. What they say is not gospel.

Most linguists are lefty types with no biases. Be realistic, these people spent decades studying that stuff, they know their shit better than we do.

Proto-Germanic was spoken as late as 200 CE, while proto-Lowland East Cushitic is ~4,000 years old.

Lowland East Cushitic is almost as old as Indo-European itself.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
Most of them lefty types with no bias. Be realistic, these people spent decades studying that stuff, they know their shit better than we do.

Proto-Germanic was spoken as late as 200 CE, while proto-Lowland East Cushitic is ~4,000 years old.

Lowland East Cushitic is almost as old as Indo-European itself.

I don't care about what a non cushitic speaker says about our languages, its just their opinion and theory not fact.

Learn to think for yourself :pachah1: All I'm saying.

Apollo

VIP
I don't care about what a non cushitic speaker says about our languages, its just their opinion and theory not fact.

Learn to think for yourself :pachah1: All I'm saying.

Name Horner linguists, there are almost none. If there are some, they only study their own language and not those of others.

For now, we have to go by what European linguists have to say.

It's definitely Rendille. Some Somalis don't like this fact because of their strange culture. :lol:

They were essentially Somalis who split from Somalis right before Islam and then culturally adopted Samburu/Maasai customs around the Middle Ages up to today.

Even as reer dhaqan celis I can understand Rendille clips, while I don't understand anything from Afar besides the few Arabic loanwords.

Oromo is also closer to Somali than Afar, but barely and is way more distant than Rendille-Somali split (~2,000-1,500 years ago). The Afar/Oromo-Somali split is more around 4,000-3,000 years ago.

PS. Rendille is a dying language. Many of them are outright language shifting towards Samburu and/or Kenyan English & Swahili.
The split is way larger. I'm guessing 10,000 years unless you still believe the Omo Tana Hypothesis. The cave paintings predate the supposed migration into the North of the Horn by a few thousand years max. But you'll probably claim they're not made by somalis I'm guessing.

My guess is as good as yours until we get some proper archeology going in Somalia and the rest of East Africa.

I think we split off from Afars/Sidamos 10,000 years ago to become the proto somalis and some of us split off.

Apollo

VIP
The split is way larger. I'm guessing 10,000 years unless you still believe the Omo Tana Hypothesis. The cave paintings predate the supposed migration into the North of the Horn by a few thousand years max. But you'll probably claim they're not made by somalis I'm guessing.

My guess is as good as yours until we get some proper archeology going in Somalia and the rest of East Africa.

I think we split off from Afars/Sidamos 10,000 years ago to become the proto somalis and some of us split off.

Stop the trolling, Cushitic is only around 6,000 years itself.

Trending