What is the value of the Somali clans?

Do your Clan help or provide value to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Inshallah we will have unification and peace. The tribe relevancy helps me figure out my ancestors easier. But I’m not obsessed and won’t hate you due to it.

Qabil served it purpose when we knew so little of the world and threats it held.

Today it's used to exploit us. The taxes from the oil tankers passing through our waters could've paid for berbera with somalis having the lion's share. Instead we fight over crumbs called aid.

That's interesting. I have a more mixed view of qabil. Some of them have been highly resourceful. Others not so much. However I base my assessments of people more on how they present themselves character wise rather than their affiliations or genetic closeness.
Of course it all depends on the individual but some communities/clans are more collectivist and help each other out more like Isaaq's and MJ's whereas others are more prone to xaasidnimo and infighting. The dhaqan isn't the same across the board though there are exceptions as well.

It does give you a sense of community. In Ramadan time alot of the people in my town who are of a specific clan are invited to houses to eat.

Personally , i am somali first.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Qabiil is wonderful when it comes to business building. And if you are from a business sub sub clan you might aswell use it to your advantage if you know what I am saying.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
+ good connections for buying land back home

- they’ll only contact you when you need to pay Qaadhaanta

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
No it adds no value to me , my clan elders would ridicule me because I started to befriend my tribal adversaries and beyond the world is a bigger place and theres no place for this pathetic bullshit it's one of the main reasons why our people are backwards clanism hinders progression and unity
Clanism endorses corruption nepotism it feeds ignorance and breeds hatred

as someone in Africa it's important to have ties with your qabiil or else you are going to be a laangaab that's the problem
qabiil affiliate is not a choice that affiliation will come to you wether yoy like or not
it's hard to leave youll just have to endure their petty bullshit because you don'the want to be viewed for the rest of your life as that disowned fella that stigma alone will disintigrate you since we are a clan based society

Trending

Latest posts