What did you study in University and what do you specialize in now

Also, I heard that cyclotron particle accelerators are outdated and no longer used since they’re not as effective as current particle accelerators. What exactly do you do with them?

Ours are modern and we use two types in different sites. GE and Eclipse models. We have the Eclipse. I am the person responsible for its maintenance and upkeep. It has RF generators, Magnets, Electrodes/Dees, Two Types of Vacuum Pumps - Diffusion and Alcatel, Iron Source, Hydrogen Gas for providing the Particles or Beams, Nitrogen Gas. O18 Water Isotopes that are bombarded by the Beam/Particle to produce an FDG(type of Sugar that gets injected into patients with Cancer so the cells illuminate in the body then killed with Chemotherapy etc.).

I am electromechanics sp by profession, so I am responsible for fixing machine problems. The kind of a guy the managers, operators, and engineers call to come in and fix their machine problems when they occur during operations/manufacturing.

I also install machines on site when purchased by the company or by the research facility. I connect cooling water to them, electricity, all types of process gases, build the gas lines that carry these process gases to the machine, put the entire machine together as they usually come in disassembled.

Just some of my job responsibilities. When everything/machines are working, I am sitting in my office doing as I please. When something is broken, too busy to sometimes take a phone call or eat.

Last edited:

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
did an mba in community economic development and now i work in consulting for nonprofit, also big on crypto do a few projects there
I never see you post in the crypto thread ser, what projects you working on?

heey, thats soo cool. taking ring&field theory rn and its super interesting. do u think the math helped in you programming career or was it a waste of time?
I never was really career oriented and just did what I enjoyed. I actually wanted to do a PhD, but after my master's I got burned out and in terms of income/career it wouldn't help you that much anyway.

Most companies see your math degree more as proof you are not an idiot, so there is less risk for them.

In terms of the degree, like with STEM in general, people get too hung up with programming languages/etc, but it's mostly just problem-solving/absorbing information fast, which a STEM degree sets you up for especially maths.

i graduated in comsci now I'm a ethical hacker / pentester.

You make good money I assume. Two young adults in our house have the same major. One gradauted a year ago and makes 3k a paycheck(bi-weekly). He doesn't know what to do with the money, so we have been trying to get him to spend it LOL. Kids these days,

We hope to marry him off in a year or two miskiinka. He is the home-stay type, doesn't go partying, never spent a night out of home, no Balwad, good kid but he doesn't know how to talk to girls unfortunately. Typical Geek. His mom thinks girls will strip him of his money LOL.