What did you study in University and what do you specialize in now

induction

Nothing is true; everything is permitted
Nice. I'm trying to up my math only taking calc 2 rught now and plan on taking linear algebra/calc 3 over the summer. What should I do afterwards as a compsci undergrad?
nice, another cs major. as a maths student i am kinda biased but i'd recommend taking a course on graph theory afterwards cuz graphs are used a lot in cs. then maybe take a intro to proofs course (if you havent already). i started out as just cs but switched to cs+math after taking a course that had proofs in it cuz i loved it so much. also look into courses on machine learning, especially ones that are for math students. also since you took linear algebra, a course in computer vision would be kinda interesting. lmk if you want recommendations more on the math side

johnsepei5

Head of Somalia freemasonry branch
Do you need a degree to work as a programmer,most companies in the west don’t focus on degrees as I hear

Ayyyy. I graduated last year. See a lot of Somali people getting into tech.
Check out somalis in tech on Linkedin.

My dad tried to force me to become a doctor because my uncle is one but I kept getting a D- in biology so he just lost hope. Kinda made me feel bad about it tbh.

Everyone is good at something. To me, Biology was heavy on memory and light on Logic so I couldn't do it. Failed the lab twice. On the other Hand, same year, I was second best in the Chemistry class and the professor recommended that I pursue chemistry as a major. He sent his recommendation to our home address because he couldn't find me after the Finals in College. He was that eager to let me know. I went a different direction and did Electronics and Nano-technology. Had been fun ever since doing what I am good at.

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
I’m about to study Econ. My brother studied Mech Eng and ended up working for Raytheon. You should have seen the ruckus it caused between my dad and him at the time

induction

Do you need a degree to work as a programmer,most companies in the west don’t focus on degrees as I hear
probably not. a cs degree isn't a programming degree, but rather a degree on computer science. So, you will take many very theory heavy courses that you will never use in your work. but i think having the degree shows people you aren't a fraud ig?

Roronoa Zoro

Right-hand Man
probably not. a cs degree isn't a programming degree, but rather a degree on computer science. So, you will take many very theory heavy courses that you will never use in your work. but i think having the degree shows people you aren't a fraud ig?
That's how I feel right now, these courses and exams are kicking my dabada when I won't even need half what of I learned in the future. :lawd:

induction

That's how I feel right now, these courses and exams are kicking my dabada when I won't even need half what of I learned in the future. :lawd:
what exams lol? automata theory? dreading and also kinda looking forward to that course

Roronoa Zoro

Right-hand Man
what exams lol? automata theory? dreading and also kinda looking forward to that course
Yeah automata theory and notations. The course is very interesting though, saaxib. I urge anybody to go into cs or learn some cyber security to keep up your sleeve for the future.

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
Just go to community college , get practical experience and get paid 10x more than your peers studying in University.

Only exclusion is med.

It helps a lot if you have a degree and it also depends on which sector you go into (some require you to have degrees). But from my experience, programmers without degrees tend to be very smart borderline geniuses.

I’m about to study Econ. My brother studied Mech Eng and ended up working for Raytheon. You should have seen the ruckus it caused between my dad and him at the time

Have you thought about the job prospects for a minority Econ Majors? Assuming you live in the US. Your white peers will have more lucrative jobs than you.

If you are spending four years at University and getting into debt, and you are capable in math and science, it is better for a minority person to do science/liberal majors in Engineering. Health related degrees are also good.

I typed your question into google search. The answer seems NO. But there are things you need to have or do to make good money as programmer without degree.

1676911337919.png

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
you're better off going to community college and then transferring and getting a degree later

You can land econ jobs with any basic degree that's not econ specific.

Trending