What books are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about this thread. Ive been reading Seneca's Letters from a Stoic.

LETTER II
Judging from what you tell me and from what I hear, I feel that you show great promise. You do not tear from place to place and unsettle yourself with one move after another. Restlessness of that sort is symptomatic of a sick mind. Nothing, to my way of thinking, is a better proof of a well ordered mind than a man‟s ability to stop just where he is and pass some time in his own company.

Be careful, however, that there is no element of discursiveness and desultoriness about this reading you refer to, this reading of many different authors and books of every description. You should be extending your stay among writers whose genius is unquestionable, deriving constant nourishment from them if you wish to gain anything from your reading that will find a lasting place in your mind. To be everywhere is to be nowhere. People who spend their whole life travelling abroad end up having plenty of places where they can find hospitality but no real friendships. The same must needs be the case with people who never set about acquiring an intimate acquaintanceship with any one great writer, but skip from one to another, paying flying visits to them all. Food that is vomited up as soon as it is eaten is not assimilated into the body and does not do one any good; nothing hinders a cure so much as frequent changes of treatment; a wound will not heal over if it is being made the subject of experiments with different ointments; a plant which is frequently moved never grows strong. Nothing is so useful that it can be of any service in the mere passing. A multitude of books only gets in one‟s way. So if you are unable to read all the books in your possession, you have enough when you have all the books you are able to read. And if you say, „But I feel like opening different books at different times‟, my answer will be this: tasting one dish after another is the sign of a fussy stomach, and where the foods are dissimilar and diverse in range they lead to contamination of the system, not nutrition. So always read well-tried authors, and if at any moment you find yourself wanting a change from a particular author, go back to ones you have read before.

Each day, too, acquire something which will help you to face poverty, or death, and other ills as well. After running over a lot of different thoughts, pick out one to be digested thoroughly that day. This is what I do myself; out of the many bits I have been reading I, lay hold of one. My thought for today is something which I found in Epicurus (yes, I actually make a practice of going over to the enemy‟s camp – by way of reconnaissance, not as a deserter!). „A cheerful poverty,‟ he says, „is an honourable state.‟ But if it is cheerful it is not poverty at all. It is not the man who has too little who is poor, but the one who hankers after more. What difference does it make how much there is laid away in a man‟s safe or in his barns, how many head of stock he grazes or how much capital he puts out at interest, if he is always after what is another‟s and only counts what he has yet to get, never what he has already. You ask what is the proper limit to a person‟s wealth? First, having what is essential, and second, having what is enough.

51dc3mIpbkL.jpg
Totally unrelated on this topoic but, I did some intermittent fasting after reading the post about fat xalimo's. May Allah reward you for the tip. I did the 16h fast and eating healthy for a week and I haven't felt this good and energetic in forever. I will soon start with the 20h fast for atleast 3days in the week and 16h fast the other days while including workouts. In sha Allaah

Totally unrelated on this topoic but, I did some intermittent fasting after reading the post about fat xalimo's. May Allah reward you for the tip. I did the 16h fast and eating healthy for a week and I haven't felt this good and energetic in forever. I will soon start with the 20h fast for atleast 3days in the week and 16h fast the other days while including workouts. In sha Allaah

Good to hear, those feelings get better and better the longer you continue, I don't do breakfast and stop eating 3 hours before sleep (better sleep quality with lucid dreams), which is intermittent every day not eating before lunch, I can't even focus as well when I break this.

Try to turn some of those days into fasts to get the spiritual rewards as well, I do it with Monday/Thursdays and to make it harder since sunset is shortening, I stop eating several hours the night before (to make it 20 hours by the time I break the fast)

The Prophets advice for weight loss after diet was to go for "fast walks" which is now being promoted as better then "jogging" for weight loss but was foretold 1400 years ago to us.

No diary (including eggs,cheese butter), no meat and absolutely no oil, meat should be a luxury meal once every couple of weeks at best, but I would avoid it entirely because of all the steroids, hormones, chemicals and a lot of the meats are just glued together by a chemical toxic process (especially lamb shank/shoulder basically anything you get on a bone)

They feed these animals that naturally eat grass, grain which is not something they eat, to make it worse it's GMO grain which a study done on lab rats made them all infertile in the third generation (50% reduction in the second), the cattle get horrifically sick as a result and they pump them with a cocktail of steroids and antibiotics to keep them alive, that's essentially what you are eating with the meat, cheese, milk etc.

The mistake every Somali household makes is to use oil for healthy foods like bariis, baasto or even salads with the lunatic policy of frying everything with oil, this fattens you up very quickly hardening your arteries, back in the days oil was used by the people to survive frequent famines because it fattens you up very quickly.

That's because in famine as you deplete your glucose levels your body stops burning it's natural energy which is glucose in favour of fat (ketosis), which is an unnatural state (hence why people feel horrible on low carb diets and can never stick to it)

This is what's hands down making our mothers obese followed by daily consumption of diary and meat, they are preparing their bodies for famines.

The olive bottles you see today are all fake synthetic derivatives, real olive oil perishes very quickly and is incredibly expensive not even sold in Europe, it perishes before it gets there, it's the same story with all other oils, none of it is natural to the human body, unless a famine is coming and your anorexic stay away from it.

Last edited:
Good to hear, those feelings get better and better the longer you continue, I don't do breakfast and stop eating 3 hours before sleep (better sleep quality with lucid dreams), which is intermittent every day not eating before lunch, I can't even focus as well when I break this.

Try to turn some of those days into fasts to get the spiritual rewards as well, I do it with Monday/Thursdays and to make it harder since sunset is shortening, I stop eating several hours the night before (to make it 20 hours by the time I break the fast)

The Prophets advice for weight loss after diet was to go for "fast walks" which is now being promoted as better then "jogging" for weight loss but was foretold 1400 years ago to us.

No diary (including eggs,cheese butter), no meat and absolutely no oil, meat should be a luxury meal once every couple of weeks at best, but I would avoid it entirely because of all the steroids, hormones, chemicals and a lot of the meats are just glued together by a chemical toxic process (especially lamb shank/shoulder basically anything you get on a bone)

They feed these animals that naturally eat grass, grain which is not something they eat, to make it worse it's GMO grain which a study done on lab rats made them all infertile in the third generation (50% reduction in the second), the cattle get horrifically sick as a result and they pump them with a cocktail of steroids and antibiotics to keep them alive, that's essentially what you are eating with the meat, cheese, milk etc.

The mistake every Somali household makes is to use oil for healthy foods like bariis, baasto or even salads with the lunatic policy of frying everything with oil, this fattens you up very quickly hardening your arteries, back in the days oil was used by the people to survive frequent famines because it fattens you up very quickly.

That's because in famine as you deplete your glucose levels your body stops burning it's natural energy which is glucose in favour of fat (ketosis), which is an unnatural state (hence why people feel horrible on low carb diets and can never stick to it)

This is what's hands down making our mothers obese followed by daily consumption of diary and meat, they are preparing their bodies for famines.

The olive bottles you see today are all fake synthetic derivatives, real olive oil perishes very quickly and is incredibly expensive not even sold in Europe, it perishes before it gets there, it's the same story with all other oils, none of it is natural to the human body, unless a famine is coming and your anorexic stay away from it.

JazakAllahoe khairan. I do still eat yogurt though. Ill quit that one as well. in sha Allaah. Meat in europe does not contain as much hormones as meat in the USA. But I agree with you it should be consumed as a luxury product once in a while. And about the oils what about coconut oil?

JazakAllahoe khairan. I do still eat yogurt though. Ill quit that one as well. in sha Allaah. Meat in europe does not contain as much hormones as meat in the USA. But I agree with you it should be consumed as a luxury product once in a while. And about the oils what about coconut oil?

All oils should be avoided, it fattens you up very quickly so your body could survive the reoccurring famines, unless your in the third world and your trying to survive a famine leave it, it clogs your arteries, coconut oil is worse because it's solid at room temperature (hence clogging)

I used to have a lot of that coconut oil garbage and gained ridiculous weight very fast until I quit all oils, I was gaining even with intense exercise.

All oils should be avoided, it fattens you up very quickly so your body could survive the reoccurring famines, unless your in the third world and your trying to survive a famine leave it, it clogs your arteries, coconut oil is worse because it's solid at room temperature (hence clogging)

I used to have a lot of that coconut oil garbage and gained ridiculous weight very fast until I quit all oils, I was gaining even with intense exercise.

Lool explaines alot, haha. So would you recommend a vegan lifestyle then?

Lool explaines alot, haha. So would you recommend a vegan lifestyle then?

I don't like to use that term but yes, it's mostly heavy on starch, I go by the rule 80% starch a day and the other 20% divided between fruits/non veg starch and legumes.

Usually with the vegan diet there is an obsession with raw fruits/veggies etc not enough emphasis on starch staples which are actually very cheap and quick to make, I spend a lot less money on this diet feeling 100x better.

Below is a reference point and the guy that pushes the starch solution, I would avoid 'soy' since all of them are GMO increasing oestrogen levels in people.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/...all-program/steps-to-recovery/starch-staples/

This is the diet humanity throughout history eat when they were all lean, healthy, strong. The starch I use regularly is sweet potatoes, sweet-corn on the cob, barley, rice, couscous none of them cooked in oil with different kinds of beans.

In Somalia before the introduction of oil in suugo, it was Sorghum and Beans, the latter is what makes you very strong, notice how in the regions in Somalia cambuulo is not eaten, they are all extremely skinny and look weak.

The Bantu's in Somalia heavily eat just beans more so then the locals with millet as their grain of choice, hence why they are all built so strong and lean with so much energy to burn, they carry out all the construction works.

Last edited:

Gbyallmeans

Yuusuf direed Founding Father of Ahlu-naar

Walaal does the lifestyle you have suggested also reduce excessive sweating, because i want to suggest/redirect it to someone i care to this diet you fore-mentioned.

Walaal does the lifestyle you have suggested also reduce excessive sweating, because i want to suggest/redirect it to someone i care to this diet you fore-mentioned.

Yes, excessive sweating is the bodies way of releasing all the toxicity overload and onslaughts on the body. The days I used to eat a high meat, dairy and oil diet, I used to sweat excessively as well but this all went away in 2 weeks after I quit (takes a while for the body to detox, faster if you exercise intensely)

The excessive sweat is the body notifying you to stop what your doing, people loose this ability after some time when they don't react to it, even worse they suppress it with antiperspirant chemicals, it's a double whammy death sentence sxb

Gbyallmeans

Yes, excessive sweating is the bodies way of releasing all the toxicity overload and onslaughts on the body. The days I used to eat a high meat, dairy and oil diet, I used to sweat excessively as well but this all went away in 2 weeks after I quit (takes a while for the body to detox, faster if you exercise intensely)

The excessive sweat is the body notifying you to stop what your doing, people loose this ability after some time when they don't react to it, even worse they suppress it with antiperspirant chemicals, it's a double whammy death sentence sxb

The sweat is highly noticeable with mainly his head,hand and feet, the man eats 2 the saxan with a bread and also huge drink of powdered flavour type.

He's kinda overweight, so how long before do you think until change will occur from the sweating if hes stops his poor diet?

The sweat is highly noticeable with mainly his head,hand and feet, the man eats 2 the saxan with a bread and also huge drink of powdered flavour type.

He's kinda overweight, so how long before do you think until change will occur from the sweating if hes stops his poor diet?

He need to ditch the antiperspirant and buy the natural deodorants, duration really depends on his activity and how bad his case is, if he gets very active with exercise (no antiperspirant or natural deodorant used for a week) it will ensure maximum perspiration all over the body flushing everything out quickly, you begin to notice the differences on a daily basis.

It took me about 2 weeks of this and as a result not only did I produce 80% less, but 90% of the smell of it went away because I quit all the toxic foods that were producing this in the first place. I was around 230 pounds back then and very sick.

Gbyallmeans

He need to ditch the antiperspirant and buy the natural deodorants, duration really depends on his activity and how bad his case is, if he gets very active with exercise (no antiperspirant or natural deodorant used for a week) it will ensure maximum perspiration all over the body flushing everything out quickly, you begin to notice the differences on a daily basis.

It took me about 2 weeks of this and as a result not only did I produce 80% less, but 90% of the smell of it went away because I quit all the toxic foods that were producing this in the first place. I was around 230 pounds back then and very sick.

Walaal list for me the toxic foods that cause poor dietary and excessive sweating, does by example bread and rice (Somali style) consist of those toxic foods, i really would like to also start following your diet of the sunnah so please tell us about the diet again in summary much appreciated inquiste:dzmxmmb::nvjpqts:

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
I forgot about this thread. Ive been reading Seneca's Letters from a Stoic.

LETTER II
Judging from what you tell me and from what I hear, I feel that you show great promise. You do not tear from place to place and unsettle yourself with one move after another. Restlessness of that sort is symptomatic of a sick mind. Nothing, to my way of thinking, is a better proof of a well ordered mind than a man‟s ability to stop just where he is and pass some time in his own company.

Be careful, however, that there is no element of discursiveness and desultoriness about this reading you refer to, this reading of many different authors and books of every description. You should be extending your stay among writers whose genius is unquestionable, deriving constant nourishment from them if you wish to gain anything from your reading that will find a lasting place in your mind. To be everywhere is to be nowhere. People who spend their whole life travelling abroad end up having plenty of places where they can find hospitality but no real friendships. The same must needs be the case with people who never set about acquiring an intimate acquaintanceship with any one great writer, but skip from one to another, paying flying visits to them all. Food that is vomited up as soon as it is eaten is not assimilated into the body and does not do one any good; nothing hinders a cure so much as frequent changes of treatment; a wound will not heal over if it is being made the subject of experiments with different ointments; a plant which is frequently moved never grows strong. Nothing is so useful that it can be of any service in the mere passing. A multitude of books only gets in one‟s way. So if you are unable to read all the books in your possession, you have enough when you have all the books you are able to read. And if you say, „But I feel like opening different books at different times‟, my answer will be this: tasting one dish after another is the sign of a fussy stomach, and where the foods are dissimilar and diverse in range they lead to contamination of the system, not nutrition. So always read well-tried authors, and if at any moment you find yourself wanting a change from a particular author, go back to ones you have read before.

Each day, too, acquire something which will help you to face poverty, or death, and other ills as well. After running over a lot of different thoughts, pick out one to be digested thoroughly that day. This is what I do myself; out of the many bits I have been reading I, lay hold of one. My thought for today is something which I found in Epicurus (yes, I actually make a practice of going over to the enemy‟s camp – by way of reconnaissance, not as a deserter!). „A cheerful poverty,‟ he says, „is an honourable state.‟ But if it is cheerful it is not poverty at all. It is not the man who has too little who is poor, but the one who hankers after more. What difference does it make how much there is laid away in a man‟s safe or in his barns, how many head of stock he grazes or how much capital he puts out at interest, if he is always after what is another‟s and only counts what he has yet to get, never what he has already. You ask what is the proper limit to a person‟s wealth? First, having what is essential, and second, having what is enough.

Seneca? He was the one that was forced to kill himself by emperor Nero, his former student.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
heat-cover-image.jpg

This book and The Mighty and Slam by Dean Myers. I never get tired of reading them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending