What are your fav. male or female Somali names.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Never give your daughter the name Aisha or Fatma. they will grow up with a man mind, unfeminine, really causing them unnecessary chaos. Give girls feminine name to assure them they will be feminine.

Yes, names are very important. It pre-determines the personality of the girl.

For example Khadija. Will be a strong minded girl, who is fiercely independent. Just like Aisha & Fatma

Gives girl names like Sahra/Sahro, Ubax. Uudgon, Saredo, Sumeya, Idil etc etc

No Basra. she will look like a reer xamar, diaana creme splashed/ doobo Caad Caadka vixen

Last edited:

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
What up with Somali diaspora giving their kids unique names
Doesn’t everyone want unique names though? Isn’t that one of the criteria for naming your children?

You’d generally want a unique, simple, meaningful name with a good ring to it. Not a random generic name.

Doesn’t everyone want unique names though? Isn’t that one of the criteria for naming your children?

You’d generally want a unique, simple, meaningful name with a good ring to it. Not a random generic name.
No I don't like unique names. Well known and historic are better. There's a reason royal families reuse names.

MadMullah99

Boqor of Boqors. The man your wife fantasises of.
I would like to add that all these names are not Somali and should not be referred to as such even though Somalis do use them.

a much better title is “what are your favourite Arab names“

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
No I don't like unique names. Well known and historic are better. There's a reason royal families reuse names.
That’s not very smart, royals reuse the names of their forefathers and previous kings and queens.

they don’t use the names of some random other people that they hear a lot. Not to mention it’d be boring and stupid for all somali kids to be named 10 names over and over and over again.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
I would like to add that all these names are not Somali and should not be referred to as such even though Somalis do use them.

a much better title is “what are your favourite Arab names“
Plenty of arab names are also somali names. Just because they have arab origin doesn’t mean they’re not somali names. It’s already in somali culture and these names have been used for centuries.

So Aisha is a somali name and arab name. Just like how luke is an english, and baltic name. Just like how patel is an urdu and hindi name.

That’s not very smart, royals reuse the names of their forefathers and previous kings and queens.

they don’t use the names of some random other people that they hear a lot. Not to mention it’d be boring and stupid for all somali kids to be named 10 names over and over and over again.
But they are. Some names are more popular than others. How many Somalis are called Muhammad? That's a common name but it's also noble name and gives you respect.

African Americans have unique names. Should we be like them?

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
But they are. Some names are more popular than others. How many Somalis are called Muhammad? That's a common name but it's also noble name and gives you respect.

African Americans have unique names. Should we be like them?
I’m not saying name every child a unique name, but don’t name every child a generic name.

If you name ALL your kids Abdi, Maxamed, Axmed, Marian, Aisha. Then that’s pretty boring imo, even though all the names I mentioned are very good ones (except abdi)

and what’s with the last point? Literally every culture has unique names, why’d you single out AAs? Should we polarize AAs and do everything they don’t?

I’m not saying name every child a unique name, but don’t name every child a generic name.

If you name ALL your kids Abdi, Maxamed, Axmed, Marian, Aisha. Then that’s pretty boring imo, even though all the names I mentioned are very good ones (except abdi)

and what’s with the last point? Literally every culture has unique names, why’d you single out AAs? Should we polarize AAs and do everything they don’t?
AA have names like traquavious. I'm using them as an extreme example.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
AA have names like traquavious. I'm using them as an extreme example.
yeah but their unique names are ratchet. There are many beautiful names outside of the known ones, and who knows. You can create new well-known names.

Like how many people know of the name “Falis”?

MadMullah99

Plenty of arab names are also somali names. Just because they have arab origin doesn’t mean they’re not somali names. It’s already in somali culture and these names have been used for centuries.

So Aisha is a somali name and arab name. Just like how luke is an english, and baltic name. Just like how patel is an urdu and hindi name.
That does not make any sense.

Any country simply cannot copy/appropriate a name to the point it becomes their name; the origin of the name will forever hold weight and be the Only defining aspect of it.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Meh I prefer tradition
unique names are tradition. They’re just not as well known, naming my son Wacays is just as traditional as Farax.

I also think Wacays is a better name than farax.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
That does not make any sense.

Any country simply cannot copy/appropriate a name to the point it becomes their name; the origin of the name will forever hold weight and be the Only defining aspect of it.
Yes, they can.

Go learn anthropology man. Other cultures can appropriate and assimilate any tradition let alone a name into their culture.

It’s called sharing and influencing cultures.

MadMullah99

Yes, they can.

Go learn anthropology man. Other cultures can appropriate and assimilate any tradition let alone a name into their culture.

It’s called sharing and influencing cultures.
If that is the case walaal. Tell me a few names which The Arabs have adopted from us.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
If that is the case walaal. Tell me a few names which The Arabs have adopted from us.
I’m sure there are yemeni names that have taken from somali culture, but I don’t think somali culture has influenced arab culture as a whole.

Like I said, go learn anthropology. Larger and more influential civilizations can pass down and influence smaller civilizations.

Just like the british influenced the baltics but the baltics didn’t influence the british. How hard of a concept is that?

Trending