What are some unspoken rules of behaviour in Somalia?

I know there are more glaring no-gos in Somalia ie apparently wearing pants as a woman (in Burco?) - but what are other smaller details that might give away that you are not raised in Somalia and is an expectation for the average person?

I know there are more glaring no-gos in Somalia ie apparently wearing pants as a woman (in Burco?) - but what are other smaller details that might give away that you are not raised in Somalia and is an expectation for the average person?
There are plenty of women that wear pants in Somalia. For instance women police officers or women in Somalia military. This whole Burco pants thing is blown out of proportions. Its probably someone behind it that make it seem Somalia is unsafe for women in all form.

I got weird stares when I wore shorts in hargeisa before
But you have to think about it's islamically also when it's time for prayer will you have time to go home and go change or is it better for everyone just to dress properly for prayer. I think that why people may have looked at you funny

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Never wear camouflage clothes and people were also discouraged not to wear 3/4 trousers with sandles since alshabab mostly wore those

I got weird stares when I wore shorts in hargeisa before
My uncle rolled down the window of his car while we were driving in Hargeisa to tell this random 8 yr old boy playing soccer to go change his shorts. He might just be the reason you and the rest of the ‘shorts-wearing’ crowd can’t catch a break
:mjlol:

Kamaal

Sidii roon Raba og
I know for sure it's a no, no for guys to wear jewelries like necklace and bracelets. Tattoos and face piercing will get you killed.

For girls I would say avoid wearing yoga pants and too much makeup.

Bernie Madoff

Afhayeenka SL
VIP
My uncle rolled down the window of his car while we were driving in Hargeisa to tell this random 8 yr old boy playing soccer to go change his shorts. He might just be the reason you and the rest of the ‘shorts-wearing’ crowd can’t catch a break
:mjlol:
Loooool even my hoyoo for some reason would hate on me or brothers for wearing shorts. I would get roasted for My legs tho. Getting called mijo baasto really hurt me :mjcry:

Wearing the somalia addidas tracksuit or somalia bracelets in SL
BiS94PZS_400x400.jpg

Don't talk too much, just observe the locals. Somalis in general observe you like a hawk. They already know something is different about you. Don't open your mouth and prove them right.

If you are there for a few months, this will give you the opportunity to adapt and pick up the local customs. Also dress like the locals as much as you can. Once you are comfortable, then slowly start making small talk and build your way up from there. That is my advice to you.

Source: My Somali is fluent, and I can act like any regular reer Mudug, so I know what I am talking about. Also born in Somalia and been there many times since, albeit grew up in the UK.

Reer Galkayco here, although born and bred abroad.
1. No English or other foreign language otherwise you’ll get haggled at the markets
2. Don’t walk around with your phone or purse visible, I know some qurbajoog guy was getting a trim and I saw one of those IDP bantu kids run into the barbershop and steal his iPhone mid trim, luckily for him the locals apprehended the kid and returned the phone
3. Be polite and astute, observe your surroundings, and keep good posture when walking, no sassywalk no suspect activity etc.
4. Don’t go jogging, you’ve pretty much blown your cover. No one in Somalia jogs.

Mudug_gyal

بما يرضي الله Feminist
Forget about trying to blend in, they can tell you’re reer diaspora just by the way you walk lmaoo
Also don’t look men in the eye, had more marriage proposals than times my eyes blinking:deadosama:not making eye contact still didnt work tho. Even when i wore niqab!