What are some unspoken rules of behaviour in Somalia?

Don't talk too much, just observe the locals. Somalis in general observe you like a hawk. They already know something is different about you. Don't open your mouth and prove them right.

If you are there for a few months, this will give you the opportunity to adapt and pick up the local customs. Also dress like the locals as much as you can. Once you are comfortable, then slowly start making small talk and build your way up from there. That is my advice to you.

Source: My Somali is fluent, and I can act like any regular reer Mudug, so I know what I am talking about. Also born in Somalia and been there many times since, albeit grew up in the UK.
Took me a while to learn it, it was difficult at first but then I just slowly adjusted to it. Its as if it just happened naturally.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
There are plenty of women that wear pants in Somalia. For instance women police officers or women in Somalia military. This whole Burco pants thing is blown out of proportions. Its probably someone behind it that make it seem Somalia is unsafe for women in all form.
Yeah I’ve seen somali women wearing pants in Somali Galbeed, especially Jigjiga. Nobody cares.

Reer Galkayco here, although born and bred abroad.
1. No English or other foreign language otherwise you’ll get haggled at the markets
2. Don’t walk around with your phone or purse visible, I know some qurbajoog guy was getting a trim and I saw one of those IDP bantu kids run into the barbershop and steal his iPhone mid trim, luckily for him the locals apprehended the kid and returned the phone
3. Be polite and astute, observe your surroundings, and keep good posture when walking, no sassywalk no suspect activity etc.
4. Don’t go jogging, you’ve pretty much blown your cover. No one in Somalia jogs.
Only the real 1s kno bout it 🤫

Y’all… I know they would see right through me and my well-hydrated *diaspora face
:snoop:

This thread was intended to figure out some of the social cues of Somali society…
For example: In Canada, it’s expected everyone faces towards the door in the elevator after a little cadaan nod/tight smile combo or asking how are you to a stranger and only expecting “great” or “couldn’t be better” regardless of your actual situation… things like; which side of the escalator you should stand on, what constitutes as topics to discuss among strangers etc etc. Something you wouldn’t expect a newcomer or a foreigner to understand from the get go

Thanks for the pointers tho!

Do not oppose the local politician or try to unseat him, no matter how laandheer ur family is you will pay the price. My uncle learnt it the hard way in Kismayo back in 2014. When 8 moryaans with ak 47 threatened him to resign and leave the city by night.

Reer Galkayco here, although born and bred abroad.
1. No English or other foreign language otherwise you’ll get haggled at the markets
2. Don’t walk around with your phone or purse visible, I know some qurbajoog guy was getting a trim and I saw one of those IDP bantu kids run into the barbershop and steal his iPhone mid trim, luckily for him the locals apprehended the kid and returned the phone
3. Be polite and astute, observe your surroundings, and keep good posture when walking, no sassywalk no suspect activity etc.
4. Don’t go jogging, you’ve pretty much blown your cover. No one in Somalia jogs.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Trending