What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a redundant question because most of you are spotty little midgets without pubic undergrowth, but to the few adults here, what advice would you give. Here's mine.

Dear Young Bidaarle,

1) Don't worry about looks too much. That's for homosexuals. It's unmanly to spend forty minutes doing your hair like some feminized, sissified, pansified skirt clutching little . Take pride in your rugged looks. Would have saved me a lotta anxiety growing up.

2) Don't worry about being cool. Life is not a popularity contest. If you really wanna be cool, jump into a fridge freezer.

3) Don't be a fanatic in your political beliefs. You may be wrong, and you certainly will be wrong about some things. No party, ideology, or movement has a monopoly on truth. Accept that great men have belonged to political factions not your own.

4) Don't confuse religion with tribalism. If any wadaad teaches you to hate other human beings who are different from you on account of theological differences, he's a con artist who should be hanged. God is not a Muslim, an Arab, or a Salafi. He's above that nonsense. Actually, God is not even a "he". These are flawed human concepts. Accept that most people on this pale blue planet are good people, whatever their religion, sect, or creed. This piece of advice would have saved me years of hanging around with extremists and hating the world.

5) Don't listen to hip hop. It's trash. Try jazz and the blues. That's real soul music.

6) It's okay if you don't reach your career target at the same time as your classmates. You have different backgrounds and life experiences. Do things at your own pace.

7) Don't hold on to grudges. As somebody once said, hating somebody is like holding a red hot coal in your hand so you can throw it at your enemy. Put negative people behind you as quickly as you can. They've not earned the right to dwell rent free in your brain. Happy thoughts, always happy thoughts.

8) Masturbation is healthy, but if you're beating the sausage three times a day, you have a problem.

9) Learn to study ideas differing from yours from their original source without hatred. Actively seek out newspapers, books, and blogs that oppose your political, social, economic, and philosophical outlook. Do not depend on people who share your mindset to accurately represent opposing views. They always simplify and distort, consciously or unconsciously. Mostly, it is unconscious bias. If the ideas in question are false, you will gain by it by discovering anew why you are right. If it is right, you exchange error for truth.

How about you?

Take it for granted that 40% of your cherished beliefs at any given time are either wholly or partially wrong. No organism with a tonne of shit in their gut is special enough to be error free.

-Be kind to others (badly needed in high school)
-Not everything has an answer
-I still struggle with this one: Sometimes failure is okay

-Be kind to others (badly needed in high school)
-Not everything has an answer
-I still struggle with this one: Sometimes failure is okay
What do you have in mind when you say that not everything has an answer?

Yes, failure is indeed okay. You know the saying: if you fail at first, fail better next time.

just a few personal questions I've had over the years
I quite agree. I believe that some things are elusive. They have no solution. For example, I'm against pregnant women smoking, but I would not ban it, because that would mean locking up pregnant women. There is no answer to the problem. Much of life is like that. People assume that everything must have a solution. Sometimes it doesn't.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
Ok fine. I used to get horrible haircuts when I was a kid. I'd slap my younger self across the head anytime I got such a haircut. I also used to wear sagging pants and wear baggy clothes. I'd go back and give myself a good talking to.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
You must have had a sheltered life. Niggas like me did some crazy shit. I have three baby mommas chasing me for child support, and that's just in New Zealand. No wonder you're soft.
I also have many baby mommas but I don't regret that. I brought important humans into this world and know they're happily contributing to this world, all thanks to me. I just don't know where they are.

Ok fine. I used to get horrible haircuts when I was a kid. I'd slap my younger self across the head anytime I got such a haircut. I also used to wear sagging pants and wear baggy clothes. I'd go back and give myself a good talking to.
I never went to a professional barber till I was 23. My mom cut my hair for me. And the worst thing is, she was pretty good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.