What’s your hair type

Somali genetics are random who gives a f*ck about hair type and shit, embrace your hair type regardless of whether it's a Korean BowlCut or a Regular Afro. I love the diversity of hair textures Somali people have that's what make us unique.

Nafiso Qalanjo

𝖂𝖊'𝖗𝖊 𝖌𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖜𝖆𝖗 𝖇𝖆𝖇𝖞!
I got 3c/4a, but I have sibling who got 3b/3a. I took a DNA test and got zero Bantu blood in me. Ethnic Somalis hair varies. The people who say Somalis only have curly hair are capping.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Genetics are weird, and you’re not alone if you have Bantu DNA, or any other African ethnicity. It’s virtually impossible to not have something in the mix, any one of those ancient ancestors genes could decide to show up.

I have typical Somali hair 3b 3c I never know which one. But I was given such a complex about my hair growing up (oddly enough by my Hooyo who has 4c hair herself). I grew up hating it and not knowing what to do with it.

If there’s anything I would say to any Somali or black sister it’s - love your hair. Love and embrace all of its untamed curliness, it’s truly beautiful x

Most mainstream Somalis unless they are recently mixed do not have Bantu admixture. 23andme alone has shown this. And even then it will likely not impact curl pattern all that much. A person having more coarse or afrotextured hair among Somalis can happen at random. No Somali has 4C hair sis. Perhaps you are confusing it for 4A. The range is 2A-4A with most being type 3s.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Most mainstream Somalis unless they are recently mixed do not have Bantu admixture. 23andme alone has shown this. And even then it will likely not impact curl pattern all that much. A person having more coarse or afrotextured hair among Somalis can happen at random. No Somali has 4C hair sis. Perhaps you are confusing it for 4A. The range is 2A-4A with most being type 3s.

That’s true sis, sometimes a person doesn’t have Bantu/African DNA. My Hooyo’s DNA has literally zero other African mixture. And her earliest female ancestor was asian.

I’m quite curious do old genes not show up then? You mentioned it doesn’t matter if it’s very old.

I think recent mixture would probably show up in curl pattern, only because I see when whites and blacks have kids the kid could have white skin and blue eyes but the hair is almost always Afro.

I’m genuinely curious why only Somalis seem to have such a stark variety of hair textures. I wonder why we don’t see this phenomenon in other groups. In 1 single Somali family you can get from type 2 to type 4 hair.

salma saluuni

For the thrill💃🏽
Some of you guys think 4c hair is just exclusive to bantus and Somalis don’t have it. Very few Somalis have it.

That’s true sis, sometimes a person doesn’t have Bantu/African DNA. My Hooyo’s DNA has literally zero other African mixture. And her earliest female ancestor was asian.

I’m quite curious do old genes not show up then? You mentioned it doesn’t matter if it’s very old.

I think recent mixture would probably show up in curl pattern, only because I see when whites and blacks have kids the kid could have white skin and blue eyes but the hair is almost always Afro.

I’m genuinely curious why only Somalis seem to have such a stark variety of hair textures. I wonder why we don’t see this phenomenon in other groups. In 1 single Somali family you can get from type 2 to type 4 hair.

Its genetics, just like Somali skin color, Because we have many ancient different
Somali Mothers, as evident in our mtDNA Haplogroups.

Last edited:
We need to say Alxamdililaah rabil Caalimiin , on average we have timo fiican.

Even wadanka dariska don't have timo jileec.

Natives from Sanaag have the waviest hair among Somalis.

/Suugo Science.
I think Straight/Wavy Hair is more or less evenly distributed amongst all the regions; you'll find a very small minority of folks in all regions with such hair type. There's no real reason to just suggest North-East Somalia has the highest concentration of that Hair type tbh.

Besides, Straight/Wavy is extremely rare in all the regions. The Black Man's[Afro] hair reigns supreme amongst Somalis.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
I think Straight/Wavy Hair is more or less evenly distributed amongst all the regions. There's no real reason to just suggest North-East Somalia has the highest concentration of that Hair type tbh.

Besides, Straight/Wavy is extremely rare in all the regions. The Black Man's[Afro hair] hair reigns supreme amongst Somalis.

I think there are meaningful differences between regions. I saw lots of pseudo-South Indian looking people (due to their hair) in the Northeast while far fewer in certain other regions I won't name to avoid people getting butthurt.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Natives from Sanaag have the waviest hair among Somalis.

/Suugo Science.
That sounds like suugo science disguised as qabil :icon lol:

Jokes aside I think you might be right about that, I felt like I made that random connection in my head too while I was there. Who knows tbh.
I think Straight/Wavy Hair is more or less evenly distributed amongst all the regions; you'll find a very small minority of folks in all regions with such hair type. There's no real reason to just suggest North-East Somalia has the highest concentration of that Hair type tbh.

Besides, Straight/Wavy is extremely rare in all the regions. The Black Man's[Afro] hair reigns supreme amongst Somalis.
Sometimes I wonder if you're Somali, the way you try pin phenotypes and features is beyond me.

How the hell do afros reign supreme

I think there are meaningful differences between regions. I saw lots of pseudo-South Indian looking people (due to their hair) in the Northeast while far fewer in certain other regions I won't name to avoid people getting butthurt.
I remember mistaking a Somali dude for a Tutsi/Rwandese because of his hair type lmao. He had a combination of Afro hair & somewhat slender madow facial features.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
@SOMALI GENERAL

In Ireland and Scotland they have lots of red hair, while in England, Belgium, Holland etc it is far lower. Maybe some regional differences like that exist in the Horn as well.

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
I'm guessing you have type 4? It's a beautiful hair texture

Mine is 3c. It looks like this.
1602179552047.png