What’s the deal with Tutsi? Are Tutsi people related to Cushitic or Berber people?

Apollo

VIP
Yup it’s probably that one, what’s it’s origin?

Probably some lineage that entered Africa via the Sinai and then entered the early Cushitic populations.

About U6a.. it is found in Kenyans, consistently (when they test over a 100 of them), but not in Somalis. Always found that weird.

U6a has been in Africa longer than U3a has been.

@Som

Prehistoric South Cushites are closest to Central Ethiopians. They split from them in the Ethiopian highlands and then slowly moved from there into the Great Lakes area.

Somalis have slightly different genetics and where we precisely lived between 2,000 BCE-500 BCE is unknown, but it definitely wasn't highland Ethiopia. Somewhere in the arid parts of the Horn probably. The South Cushites probably didn't live in Somalia.

What is the reason for the height difference and lifestyle? Central ethiopians are to my knowledge subsistence farmers and not generally tall while south cushitics where pastoralist and tall. What could explain the difference?

Apollo

VIP
What is the reason for the height difference and lifestyle? Central ethiopians are to my knowledge subsistence farmers and not generally tall while south cushitics where pastoralist and tall. What could explain the difference?

The height difference is exaggerated. Likely the ancestors of modern-day Ethiopians mixed further with local Ethiopian hunter-gatherers and then later on with comparatively short Yemenis. So that is a partial explanation There is also almost 2,000 years of evolution between when South Cushites left Ethiopia and started mixing with Nilotes and Bantus.

Som

VIP
The title of this thread made me think of the ties of Berbers and South Cushites and then my mind went to mtDNA U6a.

@The alchemist I have noticed that Somalis do not have any U6a (none in the large 23andMe database, also not in the various studies). Meanwhile Ethiopians have it and so do SC admixed Kenyans and Tanzanians (seen U6a detected there).

It hints at different Cushitic migrations.
How can 23 and me detect such an ancient admixture among tutsi? I thought 23 and me results only go back to 500 years ago roughly. If tutsi get ethiopian in their results does it mean they have recent ancestry (500 years ago max) from Ethiopia?

Apollo

VIP
How can 23 and me detect such an ancient admixture among tutsi? I thought 23 and me results only go back to 500 years ago roughly. If tutsi get ethiopian in their results does it mean they have recent ancestry (500 years ago max) from Ethiopia?

It only goes back to a few centuries if they have reference groups that are close to you.

For example, they don't have a Malagasy component. So Malagasies on 23andMe get Niger-Congo and Austronesian even though their admixture happened 1,000 years ago.

The reference samples in 23andMe's Southeast Africa component are more Niger-Congo than the Tutsi, so the rest goes into the Ethiopia and Sudan component.

The height difference is exaggerated. Likely the ancestors of modern-day Ethiopians mixed further with local Ethiopian hunter-gatherers and then later on with comparatively short Yemenis. So that is a partial explanation There is also almost 2,000 years of evolution between when South Cushites left Ethiopia and started mixing with Nilotes and Bantus.
Who are Tutsi's the the most closely related to in Ethiopia? Which ethnicity?

A lot of older generation Somalis see Tutsi's as Somalis who took their cattle too far.

Apollo

VIP
Who are Tutsi's the the most closely related to in Ethiopia? Which ethnicity?

A lot of older generation Somalis see Tutsi's as Somalis who took their cattle too far.

They are not related to modern Ethiopians. South Cushites left Ethiopia a few millennia ago. So they are ancestrally more similar to various Ethiopian groups than to Somalis. This is why Tutsis get Ethiopian on 23andMe and not Somali.

Tutsis have nothing to do with Somalis besides extremely distant (multi thousand year) Cushitic ties.

The title of this thread made me think of the ties of Berbers and South Cushites and then my mind went to mtDNA U6a.

@The alchemist I have noticed that Somalis do not have any U6a (none in the large 23andMe database, also not in the various studies). Meanwhile Ethiopians have it and so do SC admixed Kenyans and Tanzanians (seen U6a detected there).

It hints at different Cushitic migrations.

I saw a relative female somali who got Mtdna U6a2a. Her ancestory composition is 100% somali.

This is becoming old, we do this about every month or so. Tutsis simplified are southern cushites with nilo admixture and small bantu blood that speak a bantu language.

There is likely a caste correlated Cushitic admixture rate, low ranking clan peoples will have a lower Cushitic average then someone of Kagame's clan

Trending