We have a horrible leeching culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not investment money but tea money. It helps them forget about their situation for a couple of days. This money ain't enough to change their lives.

I'd rather be the person giving than asking Alhamdulillah.

XamarWeeaboo

You expected something here didn't you?!?!?
This is true, but what can we do, there is a culture of qabil buissness/work and since the war has started many people have been displace. If some sense of "peace" is achieved in the souther reagons of the country, then we will see less money going to the family back home.
Ultimately, I believe that Somalis should fore go the centuries old tradition of being lazy and start to do something, apply for work and do the best that you can, after all, we're not all going to be doctors.

I know what you mean. they spend all day on social media. You you go on WhatsApp, they’ll be online at any time, and they have maids too. I’m all for helping the poor, but this culture of “dad la biilaayo” is setting us back in the diaspora and not helping them either. It would be better to have a clan network thing where the money is collected and used on various things to help build the society up rather than handicapping it further.

@roble

You can’t imagine how many families rely on diaspora remittances and many are luckier than those in the west, but for how long? For example, my Abti is the only one left in Somalia from his immediate family and all his brothers and sisters are in the diaspora. They each send him a couple of hundred dollars each month. He kept marrying and divorcing. At the last count, he had over 30 kids, lived in a villa and drove a four wheel drive/SUV & never worked a day in his life. What happens to him and his children when this generation who send him remittances die? How will they survive? Governments (regional or federal) should plan ahead for the mass deterioration of the economic conditions of many who were previously deemed self sufficient. Once the old generation dies, many who rely on remittances for their survival will struggle. This will only create more insecurity due to the increased competition for depleting resources. They should train these kids now with new skills to seek employment rather than becoming useless parasites and might join militias to rob others and cause further chaos. Remittances won’t last that long and sooner than later they will cease, therefore the best help these people can get is teaching them good work skills and ethics for their future and others security sakes..

Tukraq

VIP
Remittance companies are a huge reason for Somalias economy

But honestly we have a disgusting cultural norm were its basically accepted and respectable to have a family member to leech off.

How is anyone meant to build a life for themselves when you constantly have to share so much money with people who are unwilling to help themselves?

Don’t get me wrong, I know there are genuinely people back home who try their hardest to scrape by but I also know that when I’ve visited in the past there’s this lack of shame that I’m taken a back by each time

Asking someone for something of theirs they obviously use on a regular basis, catching them off guard and making them uncomfortable is gross Trying to guilt someone into giving you a phone, laptop etc is gross

Don’t get me wrong, helping each other is in our nature. It’s in the core of us and it’s a beautiful thing but The laziness however that’s been nurtured by the remittance and welfare culture is a low point for us I don’t see us progressing until we move past it.
wake up and smell the coffee, even countries 10 times better than Somalia only earn a dollar a day, if it weren't for remittance and foreign aid we would be finished, 80 percent of the world lives on less than 10 dollars a day or 3,600 a year, poverty in most of the world won't go away just because people don't work hard enough:westbrookwtf:, anyways we are luck to live in the richest countries In the world like America where even the worst jobs can net you 30,000 a year flipping burgers, so the point is we need to stop the Scrooge act and actually help out more:ufdup: kulaha parasite:what: what a selfish way of thinking

@roble

You can’t imagine how many families rely on diaspora remittances and many are luckier than those in the west, but for how long? For example, my Abti is the only one left in Somalia from his immediate family and all his brothers and sisters are in the diaspora. They each send him a couple of hundred dollars each month. He kept marrying and divorcing. At the last count, he had over 30 kids, lived in a villa and drove a four wheel drive/SUV & never worked a day in his life. What happens to him and his children when this generation who send him remittances die? How will they survive? Governments (regional or federal) should plan ahead for the mass deterioration of the economic conditions of many who were previously deemed self sufficient. Once the old generation dies, many who rely on remittances for their survival will struggle. This will only create more insecurity due to the competition for meagre resources. They should train the kids with new skills to seek employment rather than becoming useless parasites who will join militias and are willing to rob others. Remittances won’t last that long and sooner than later they will cease, therefore the best help these people can get is teaching them good work skills and ethics for their future and others security sakes..

Let me try to be fair here, the fact is more than half the people dont get any help from outside. those who do r mostly families, you find spoiled ones here and there but few and far between.
agree govt has to plan but theres no govt responsible enough, they just for thmslvs and in robbing spree,so forget thm in the near future.
so long theres no big projects that can hire tens of 1000s theres not much hope, people will keep emigrating. most of the land is desert and cant sustain a rising population, few subsistence farming and thats it.
i often argue with people here about the many children, and once one told me we need more people to defend ourselves againest 100M wetbacks keep comn(ethiopians). wow that was a valid point.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
When our parents generation die out, so will the remittances. Say wallahi generation aint sendin shid.

Tukraq

VIP
When our parents generation die out, so will the remittances. Say wallahi generation aint sendin shid.
If that happens it’s over for somalia tbh unless the oil can save us:bell: atleast remittances stopped some of the bleeding, peace and hard work wont get us anywhere if we’re being honest, countries doing far better than Somali still live on a Dollar a day, less than 10 dollars a day for 80 percent of the world:gucciwhat:
Just sending your fam 4000 a year puts them on par with that:nahgirl:we can’t let our generation be greedy while those back home die out:kodaksmiley:

@roble

Breeding more only means condemning these people in perpetual mass poverty that they couldn’t escape and more Somalis being wiped out during famine. Forget about Somali nationalism, that’s dead and has been buried. Check when every clan enclave has a new “president” his first visit is to Ethiopia to pay homage and reaffirm his loyalty towards Addis Ababa. We should join them because we will never beat them. We need half the size of the current population if we are capable of training them and empowering them with new skills to help themselves and the country. Somalia is currently the world’s only place where hundreds of thousands of people, mainly children perish every couple of years due to famine. Let’s make sure that we can feed the current population and not breed more.

@roble

Breeding more only means condemning these people in perpetual mass poverty that they couldn’t escape and more Somalis being wiped out during famine. Forget about Somali nationalism, that’s dead and has been buried. Check when every clan enclave has a new “president” his first visit is to Ethiopia to pay homage and reaffirm his loyalty towards Addis Ababa. We should join them because we will never beat them. We need half the size of the current population if we are capable of training them and empowering them with new skills to help themselves and the country. Somalia is currently the world’s only place where hundreds of thousands of people, mainly children perish every couple of years due to famine. Let’s make sure that we can feed the current population and not breed more.

not that i disagree, was just pointing the thinking out there.

warya aussie would like to emigrate to australia with my family.

@roble

Australia is now giving more emphasis to the migration of skilled labour and in particular young skilled migrants from the Anglophone countries. There are many working visas/jobs available online, apply for them. It all depends on the visa that you are granted, but in most of those visas and the government’s spin in transforming Australia’s new migration program, you and your family won’t be eligible for welfare, Medicare, public housing and higher education for five years, but the kids are allowed to study in public primary and high schools for free. Check them in advance, Furthermore, you might be sent to a certain location or a regional area and expected to work there for the duration of five years. I hope your name is not Mohamed or Abdi (unless you are a surgeon) because the new immigration policy was intended not to target them. But I’ve seen professional African Americans and black British people and their families granted such visas.

@roble

You can’t imagine how many families rely on diaspora remittances and many are luckier than those in the west, but for how long? For example, my Abti is the only one left in Somalia from his immediate family and all his brothers and sisters are in the diaspora. They each send him a couple of hundred dollars each month. He kept marrying and divorcing. At the last count, he had over 30 kids, lived in a villa and drove a four wheel drive/SUV & never worked a day in his life. What happens to him and his children when this generation who send him remittances die? How will they survive? Governments (regional or federal) should plan ahead for the mass deterioration of the economic conditions of many who were previously deemed self sufficient. Once the old generation dies, many who rely on remittances for their survival will struggle. This will only create more insecurity due to the competition for meagre resources. They should train the kids with new skills to seek employment rather than becoming useless parasites who will join militias and are willing to rob others. Remittances won’t last that long and sooner than later they will cease, therefore the best help these people can get is teaching them good work skills and ethics for their future and others security sakes..
What happens when millenials grow older and their parents become old and don't send remittances to their relatives back home?

Doesn't sound good :francis:

What happens when millenials grow older and their parents become old and don't send remittances to their relatives back home?

Doesn't sound good :francis:

@nine

That’s the 6 million dollar question. The problem is the lack of comprehension of many Somalis about their religion. Illaah baa risiqiyaa is the usual answer, but Allah gave them strength and brains to look after themselves and why did the mother bird has to leave her nest in harsher weathers in search for food? To feed her babies. God could’ve showered her and her babies with seeds, but gave her the skills to do it by herself. I have the misfortune of witnessing some Somali friends arguing with some Indonesian friends about this topic and a heated argument ensued. We lack work ethics. Full stop.

@roble

Australia is now giving more emphasis to the migration of skilled labour and in particular young skilled migrants from the Anglophone countries. There are many working visas/jobs available online, apply for them. It all depends on the visa that you are granted, but in most of those visas and the government’s spin in transforming Australia’s new migration program, you and your family won’t be eligible for welfare, Medicare, public housing and higher education for five years, but the kids are allowed to study in public primary and high schools for free. Check them in advance, Furthermore, you might be sent to a certain location or a regional area and expected to work there for the duration of five years. I hope your name is not Mohamed or Abdi (unless you are a surgeon) because the new immigration policy was intended not to target them. But I’ve seen professional African Americans and black British people and their families granted such visas.

thnx rather stay put at home than goin thru all that mess.

thnx rather stay put at home than goin thru all that mess.

@roble

Get a short term employment contract and check it for yourself (only if the family circumstances allows you to do so) and maybe in the long term, it will be beneficial and good for the whole family and worthwhile going through this hectic process. Which country do you reside?

I said that because I’ve been to Europe and North America and I highly recommend Somali families with children are better off to relocate to Australia.

A first world and no snow, better public education, less racism and a better fair-go country for all.

@roble

Get a short term employment contract and check it for yourself (only if the family circumstances allows you to do so) and maybe in the long term, it will be beneficial and good for the whole family and worthwhile going through this hectic process. Which country do you reside?

live in hargeisa, actually have us passport but theres no embassy here,have to travel to nairobi with the family and that cost hell money,airfare,lodging ,waiting period for the dna etc which can take a year.
right now am betting on selling some land which at this moment worth not much as its bit far from town. almost decided to stay here. bought comfortable house couple years ago and 2 cabs working for me but doesnt cover all the expenses, guess be ok if i can manage to make extra $800.
am not professional so nothing look forward to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts