Was Zeila originally afar?

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
Also, we need to stop looking for the name ‘Somali’ as evidence of our presence or lack of evidence. Huge swathes of our history involved polities and individuals that would be considered Somali in a modern context but did not refer to themselves as such. We were known by many names, but colonialist writers put an emphasis on a single one, the modern one and excluded a vast chunk of our history as a result.

Stop playing by those rules, they were put in place for a reason.

Hamzza

VIP
Ibn battuta said the barbars inhabit from mogadishu to Zeila, Then later spoke about the inhabitants of zeila being dark skinned and stuff,
Isn't that an evidence of somalis inhabiting the region?
Berber is I think a more general term and refers to both Somalis and Afars. Danakil's are Dark skinned they herd Camels and the fat tailed sheep, they lived in Zeyla as late as the last decade of the 19th century.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
In the 1600s the judges in zeila were hawiye and ibn Battuta did state that zeila was a city of Barbara (somali) in the 1300s

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Berber is I think a more general term and refers to both Somalis and Afars. Danakil's are Dark skinned they herd Camels and the fat tailed sheep, they lived in Zeyla as late as the last decade of the 19th century.
If it was referring to afars too, it would add till the region of bab el mandab, right?
Barbars was only used for somalis, danakils for afars

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Screenshot_20230830-141721_Chrome.jpg

Hamzza

VIP
If it was referring to afars too, it would add till the region of bab el mandab, right?
Barbars was only used for somalis, danakils for afars
Mogadishu is not the limit of the Somali country, is it? Are you ready to sacrifice Marka and others for this? I think the author was just giving us a general idea about the people who live between the two towns he visited.

Or better, the names Mogadishu and Zeyla were historically used to describe regions much larger than the towns themselves. So when Ibn Battuta says their country is called Zeyla he is referring to the whole northwestern coast plus a chunk of Eastern Ethiopia, which of course includes Afar territory.

Garaad diinle

 
We ought to stop entertaining online trolls who go around hoteping anything and everything there is. This guy on twitter or "x" is a well know somali hater and i once saw him and his fellow somali haters claiming land as far as berbera and borama.

I've noticed that usually somalis who pedal these claims tend to be cringy self hating arab simping hoteps who tend to fetishizing arabnimo. You'll see them cosplaying arabs and screaming ana carab and carb are the superior race clearly going against the very teaching of islam. They might as well scream ya carb similar to how the shia scream ya ahlul al-bayt.

You don't really need to look that far to find sources mentioning somalis living in zeila case and point look at ibn battuta an eye witness who described the inhabitants of zaylac as being black berbers and even included them alongside mogadishu the only two cites his travelled to on the somali coast as part of the coast of berber. Another eye witness who also described the inhabitant of zeila as berbers and also included them in the land of berber can be found in the account of al-yaquti. If you wanna go even older than this you'll find al-idrisi who included zaylac as part of the land of berber. A better question would be is there any arabic account describing the inhabitant of zaylac as danakil or afar?

Somalis didn't only live in zaylac but beyond that all the way to the ghoubbet. The ugaas of issa was said to have regiend over lands as far north as the ghoubbet. Afars where nowhere near zaylac meanwhile tadjoura was paying tribute to zaylac until the latter half of the 19th century.

The french treaty signed between the somalis and the french described the extend of the somali presence on the coast of djibouti and it even wrote down the names of various somali cheifes residing on these coasts in the 19th century. Here is what it:

7jkp8h3.jpg

Last edited:
We ought to stop entertaining online trolls who go around hoteping anything and everything there is. This guy on twitter or "x" is a well know somali hater and i once saw him and his fellow somali haters claiming land as far as berbera and borama.

I've noticed that usually somalis who pedal these claims tend to be cringy self hating arab simping hoteps who tend to fetishizing arabnimo. You'll see them cosplaying arabs and screaming ana carab and carb are the superior race clearly going against the very teaching of islam. They might as well scream ya carb similar to how the shia scream ya ahlul al-bayt.

You don't really need to look that far to find sources mentioning somalis living in zeila case and point look at ibn battuta an eye witness who described the inhabitants of zaylac as being black berbers and even included them alongside mogadishu the only two cites his travelled to on the somali coast as part of the coast of berber. Another eye witness who also described the inhabitant of zeila as berbers and also included them in the land of berber can be found in the account of al-yaquti. If you wanna go even older than this you'll find al-idrisi who included zaylac as part of the land of berber. A better question would be is there any arabic account describing the inhabitant of zaylac as danakil or afar?

Somalis didn't only live in zaylac but beyond that all the way to the ghoubbet. The ugaas of issa was said to have regiend over lands as far north as the ghoubbet. Afars where nowhere near zaylac meanwhile tadjoura was paying tribute to zaylac until the latter half of the 19th century.

The french treaty signed between the somalis and the french described the extend of the somali presence on the coast of djibouti and it even wrote down the names of various somali cheifes residing on these coasts in the 19th century. Here is what it:
7jkp8h3.jpg
I don't know why this guy @Al Adnani loves to meat ride afars so much heres a map of zeila under ottomans from 1790-1809 I don't see afars anywhere
Screenshot_20230907-065900_Chrome.jpg

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Mogadishu is not the limit of the Somali country, is it? Are you ready to sacrifice Marka and others for this? I think the author was just giving us a general idea about the people who live between the two towns he visited.

Or better, the names Mogadishu and Zeyla were historically used to describe regions much larger than the towns themselves. So when Ibn Battuta says their country is called Zeyla he is referring to the whole northwestern coast plus a chunk of Eastern Ethiopia, which of course includes Afar territory.
Ibn battuta referred to a city when he said Zeila tho not a region, also somali inhabited lands ends at al juba? Ibn battuta didn't visit it to know most likely i believe

Do you have a source of afar inhabited lands being's referred to as Barbar?
The general name for horn of africa was Al habesha in al habesha was Barbar
I'm yet to come across sources claim afar inhabited lands as barbar infact many geographical separated it and call it Dakkal or danakil

Som

VIP
Afars probably had a presence in sella but mostly during Ottoman times. In the 1800s Zeila and some ottoman controlled areas of Eritrea , Djibouti and Somalia had an Afar governor. This doesn't mean that Zeila was an Afar city though. It's a preposterous claim.
View attachment 292144
"As for the region beyond Sawakin until Bad al-Mandab, they belonged to a Black race called Danakil, as well as the areas from Bab al-Mandab til Zeila”.
Stop bullshitting. Untill Zeila doesn't mean it includes Zeila. Also which year is this source from?

Som

VIP
Arab sources are very clear even indicating Somali words used in Zeila
Historian Al-Umari in his study in the 1340s about the history of Awdal, the medieval state in western and northern parts of historical Somalia and some related areas, Al-Umari of Cairo states that in the land of Zayla’ (Awdal) “they cultivate two times annually by seasonal rains … The rainfall for the winter is called ‘Bil’ and rainfall for the ‘summer’ is called ‘Karam’ in the language of the people of Zayla’ [Awdali Somalis].”

Som

VIP

I think we are giving too much weight on these descriptions. Most Arab geographers never actually visited the cities they talk about and mostly relied on reports from actual travellers like Ibn Battuta. Also is possible they didn't see much difference between somalis and afars

I don't know why this guy @Al Adnani loves to meat ride afars so much heres a map of zeila under ottomans from 1790-1809 I don't see afars anywhere
View attachment 292221
“Indeed the first French to have set foot in Tadjourah, dates from December 27, 1709. Indeed after several stops in Aden, the French commercial vessels guided by Arab pilots from the Red Sea were heading towards the Gulf of Tadjourah. On January 3, 1710, passing between the island of Moucha and the coast of Tadjourah, they entered the "Society for Colonial and Maritime Studies, article 2, 1876 75 Tadjoura Bay. A large boat aboard which was an envoy of the Sultan of Tadjoura, Mohamed Dini was going ahead of them. This emissary sent them the letter of protection, in the name of the king of Adal and Zeyla: "We let you know that you have security and guarantee entirely in this port of Tadjourah to make water and wood, and we will give you a raban to introduce you to the city where you wish to stay. If you want to go to the port of Zeila it is the closest to the point where you were currently. We are people of good faith and we believe in God and his prophet. You have the safety of God and the safety of Sultan Mohamed, son of Sultan Dini”, on January 6, 1710, the commercial friendship treaty was signed between Sultan Mahammad Dini and Captain De La Merveille, commander of the French ships. The sultan undertakes to have the coffee imported from Ethiopia stored in Tadjoura with camels and to sell it only to the French¹¹. The captain of the Merveille undertakes for his part to pay 3% of customs duties on all goods purchased and embarked at the port of Tadjourah”.

An Afar man was ruling Zeila in 1708, almost a century before the map you just provided lol

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpeg
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 56

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP

7jkp8h3.jpg
The last part is what I was trying to say to the Ana carab in my previous post.

Why do we have so many ethnics on the horn claiming all sorts of shit from somalis.
Somalis never claim Ethiopian or sudanese history at all. You'll never see somalis claiming a Christian kingdom yet these orthodox amhara are claiming Adal even though the Adalites wanted to wipe out Christianity and burned down their ancestors churches. You'll never see a somali claiming Axum or D'mt.

But these ethnics have a fetish of hoteping Anything Somali. From Mogadishu to Zelia to Gurey, Adal, Ajuuran.
Everything well known about somali history I always see some random ethnic in Ethiopia claiming it as theirs. Pathetic people.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
View attachment 292221
Issa controlled that land and put the afars on the fronteirs on ropes.

The population of zelia and Berbera was probably more than the afar population 😂

Desert dwellers living on a volcano have never expanded onto Ciise lands let alone a civilised city like Zelia.

Som

VIP
“Indeed the first French to have set foot in Tadjourah, dates from December 27, 1709. Indeed after several stops in Aden, the French commercial vessels guided by Arab pilots from the Red Sea were heading towards the Gulf of Tadjourah. On January 3, 1710, passing between the island of Moucha and the coast of Tadjourah, they entered the "Society for Colonial and Maritime Studies, article 2, 1876 75 Tadjoura Bay. A large boat aboard which was an envoy of the Sultan of Tadjoura, Mohamed Dini was going ahead of them. This emissary sent them the letter of protection, in the name of the king of Adal and Zeyla: "We let you know that you have security and guarantee entirely in this port of Tadjourah to make water and wood, and we will give you a raban to introduce you to the city where you wish to stay. If you want to go to the port of Zeila it is the closest to the point where you were currently. We are people of good faith and we believe in God and his prophet. You have the safety of God and the safety of Sultan Mohamed, son of Sultan Dini”, on January 6, 1710, the commercial friendship treaty was signed between Sultan Mahammad Dini and Captain De La Merveille, commander of the French ships. The sultan undertakes to have the coffee imported from Ethiopia stored in Tadjoura with camels and to sell it only to the French¹¹. The captain of the Merveille undertakes for his part to pay 3% of customs duties on all goods purchased and embarked at the port of Tadjourah”.

An Afar man was ruling Zeila in 1708, almost a century before the map you just provided lol
This doesn't prove anything other than your ignorance. Djibouti and Zeila were both under nominal ottoman vassalage, one Afar governor doesn't prove Zeila was an Afar city.

Som

VIP
Brothers, the tweet has few views and likes. We Somalis should stop commenting any BS we se online about us, they do it to make us react and spread their anti Somali views.

Trending