Was there a single more important event in Horn of Africa history than the Great Oromo Migration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Yusuf ibn Ahmad al-Kawnayn was not Dir, he wasn't Somali he was an actual Arab, he introduced Arabian black tailed sheep to Somalia. He was descended from Hasan ibn Ali and his genealogy has been repurposed for the Isaaq Arabian genealogy.

Oh and Yusuf ibn Ahmad al-Kawnayn lived many centuries after the Walashma dynasty was founded. Based on his genealogy, he lived around the year 1550. Him being the Walashma ancestor is chronologically impossible.

Wardiiq claim him but his Hasani genealogy is well known.

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I do indeed. One point that people should keep in mind is that al-Kawneyn had no children. It even says so on his grave.

The link between al-Kawneyn and Aw Barkhaadle is not proven by the way, and evidence points to two individuals who have become historically confused.
Also Yusuf ibn Ahmad al-Kawnayn was not Dir, he wasn't Somali he was an actual Arab, he introduced Arabian black tailed sheep to Somalia. He was descended from Hasan ibn Ali and his genealogy has been repurposed for the Isaaq Arabian genealogy.

Evidence please? Nobody writes random things on the grave unless it's their name, date and the Shahada.

The founder and the ancestor of the Walashma Dynasty was Sheikh Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn. It's even on the Somali traditions and Somalis themselves would've known if he never had kids, you're speaking out of your ass on this one. Read this source below.

XbEBcBLzStucZ5_rywf12g.png

Yes, he was Somali. I just posted a source, a medieval Harari historian stated he was a native local Somali from Zeila and his tribe was Dir. It's mentioned on the Harar manuscripts. Go look it up. As for Isaaq, many accounts indicate Shaykh Yusuf al Kownayn and Shaykh Isaaq were contemporaries, nothing more and nothing less.

By the way, Yusuf ibn Ahmad al-Kawnayn is Aw barkhadle. His Somali name is just Arabized in some books because he was an outstanding scholar and saint of his time. We have Shri Lanka scripts telling us he was a dark tall man from Zeila. Heck, when Ibn Battuta visited the Maldive islands, he mentioned Aw Barkhadle and he said he was from the Bilad-Al Berber race, a medieval reference to describe Somalis at that time. I literally have all these sources, I can show you them if you want?

Last edited:
No thanks I tried that last time with you and we had a 10 page argument where you refused to accept any of my sources and kept quoting the same essay over and over.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
No thanks I tried that last time with you and we had a 10 page argument where you refused to accept any of my sources and kept quoting the same essay over and over.

So basically you don't have the source because you're a liar? Most of your sources were linkless and only few of them mentioned the destruction of Barawa but not conquering it, but I'm not talking about that though. Either you, I debunked you when you said Zeila, Mogadishu and the coastal cities were majority foreign and Somalis were not coastal people when in fact, all of it was predominantly Somali.

Here is a source where it states Mogadishu, Zeila, Berbera, Merca, Barawa and other coastal Somali cities were predominantly inhabited by Somalis. It even says the coastal areas were predominantly Somalis.

NUUsht0TSGWR1NPc-ewHIw.png

But lets add some context to this, maybe we can get some insight on one of these coastal towns?

upload_2018-6-20_0-46-58-png.47916

So all these coastal towns between Ras Hafun and Merca were all primarily inhabited by Somalis, the locals:hmm:

"-and it consistutes a very important testimony to the early Somali occupancy of the whole region"
:umad:

Here is a source where it says Zeila and Berbera was also indeed Somali majority.

JXGWL1IBQY6Y3RITGmWwcw.png

Link: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...cAhUKKMAKHbGtCUQQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

You've lied countless times so don't get mad just because I refute them. I've provided other sources about Aw Barkhadle, I suggest you read the Harar Manuscripts which backs up my testimony. He's a Harari medieval scholar called Shiekh Abi-Bakr Al Alawi and he states in his book that Aw Barkhadle was a native local Somali man from Zeila hailing from the Dir tribe and he was the founder and ancestor of Walashma Dynasty.

Last edited:
@James Dahl

How big of a part did Afar play in the Adal war? Did they have any important figures? How much do you know about that ethnic group?

The Afar were important allies of the Habesh kingdom and they played a significant role in the destruction of Adal. Adal itself, the area around Awsa oasis, was taken by the Danakil in the 17th century from the last successor state to Adal, the Imamate of Awsa.

The Afars have expanded very far to the south from their original homeland, they originally lived only in the northern half of what is now Afar territory, and held no territories south of Awsa oasis. What is now the southern half of Afar lands was originally inhabited by the ancestors of the Argobba, the Gabala people, and various Somali clans, and there was an important Gabala kingdom here and important Somali regions called Mora and Adal, all of which have been conquered by Afars in the last 300 years.

Many Somali and Gabala clans have been over the centuries assimilated into Afar clans. According to historical accounts of Mora, it was inhabited primarily by "Jeberti" (Darod) and today there is a large Afar subclan who live in what is now Mora who are of Darod descent.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
The Afar were important allies of the Habesh kingdom and they played a significant role in the destruction of Adal. Adal itself, the area around Awsa oasis, was taken by the Danakil in the 17th century from the last successor state to Adal, the Imamate of Awsa.

The Afars have expanded very far to the south from their original homeland, they originally lived only in the northern half of what is now Afar territory, and held no territories south of Awsa oasis. What is now the southern half of Afar lands was originally inhabited by the ancestors of the Argobba, the Gabala people, and various Somali clans, and there was an important Gabala kingdom here and important Somali regions called Mora and Adal, all of which have been conquered by Afars in the last 300 years.

Many Somali and Gabala clans have been over the centuries assimilated into Afar clans. According to historical accounts of Mora, it was inhabited primarily by "Jeberti" (Darod) and today there is a large Afar subclan who live in what is now Mora who are of Darod descent.

Wow! Very fascinating. Afar's been crying about Ciise Somalis stealing their land but this is the reality :ohhh:

Yeah Afars and Oromos were the big winners in the collapse of Adal and the Habesha Empire.

Two of the Darod descended Afar clans are called Daheimela and Welwelu. Welwelu sounds like it could be from Wilinwili, the royal clan of Adal. Since they named their state Adal perhaps Awsa Oasis (the center of the Adal region) was the center of their clan, despite the royal capital being far away at Dakkar.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Wow! Very fascinating. Afar's been crying about Ciise Somalis stealing their land but this is the reality :ohhh:

Most Somalis that suffer from assimilation was Dir. Oromo expansion was the main fall down of Adal Sultanate.

This is the medieval map back in Northern Somalia and Ethiopia that's when Oromos were never present at that time and Afar mainly lived on the red sea the north desert areas.

LpAQox-GQVCufKSvUhV4Nw.png

Historically, Awash river used to be settled by Somalis.

"The Somalis, principally the Dir clan used to inhabit the Awash River. The Afars were mostly concentrated in the Red Sea and the Lake Abbe while Somalis during the medieval times inhabited Awash river which was back then called "Webiga Dir" named after its tribe. After the weakening of Adal Sultanate, the Somalis left Awash river and allowed Afars to settle in Awash river to serve as a buffer zone between the Somalis and Abyssinians."

Source: Hollywood: Tsehai Publishers & Distributors. page. 124.

As you said, Issa is only re-conquering their lands.

Dawaro was also Somali and learn more from here: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/dawaro-sultanate.45733/

The Afar people, are a fascinating people. Let me tell you a little of what I have researched:

There are actually two tribes that make up the Afar people, the Qacfar and the Ankaali. The Qacfar are descended from Xadhalmaaxis Cabdallah Mocadh Qacfar Mocadh Cafra. Xadhalmaaxis is the founder of the Qacfar nation. He married the daughter of the Ankaali king and the Ankaali play the role of Dir in the Daarood origin story, or Hawiye in the Ajuuraan origin story. The Ankaali are an ancient people.

The Qacfar patriarch Xadhalmaaxis his four sons make up the four main clans of Qacfar: Mooday, Adaacal, Sambol-Lakcoli and Uluctan. Based on the length of their lineage this happened only in the last 700 years, but they have very aggressively adopted conquered people.

@James Dahl

Why would Afar side with the Habesha kingdom if they were muslim? Were they muslim back then?

For various reasons the Qacfar and Adal were enemies, so it's a "enemy of my enemy" sort of thing. Probably started over competition for grazing or water.

A lot of Muslims fought on the side of the Habesha king, he had a lot of Muslim vassals.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
For various reasons the Qacfar and Adal were enemies, so it's a "enemy of my enemy" sort of thing. Probably started over competition for grazing or water.

A lot of Muslims fought on the side of the Habesha king, he had a lot of Muslim vassals.

Makes sense.

So who were on the side of Adal? Besides Somali and the assimilated Xarla, what other ethnic group? For Somalis, what clans/subclans specifically took part, and who played the biggest role?

Makes sense.

So who were on the side of Adal? Besides Somali and the assimilated Xarla, what other ethnic group? For Somalis, what clans/subclans specifically took part, and who played the biggest role?

The actual Sultanate of Adal was a highly feudal state with many clans who either owed fealty or were vaguely associated with Adal. The Sultan himself wielded limited power and held his own resources, but when called up en masse the whole Sultanate could field a large army. Adal was actually somewhat weaker than its predecessor Ifat, which held much more territory and had many more subjects and allies.

The greatest army ever assembled by the Muslims was the one that faced Amde Seyon at the Battle of Das, where Amde Seyon fought 16 kingdoms and soldiers from 181 different regions. This force dwarfed the army assembled by Ahmed Gurey, but it fought Amde Seyon, the greatest conqueror in the history of the Horn of Africa and it was defeated.

Ahmed Gurey assembled a smaller coalition drawn from fewer regions but he faced a much more incompetent opponent in Lebna Dengel and he enjoyed technological superiority with advanced firearms and cannons.

The list of armies that joined Ahmed Gurey is described in the Futux al-Xabasha and it isn't all that long, unlike the Battle of Das with the endless litany of Muslim regions and kingdoms, Ahmed Gurey's allies and subjects were quite limited, and he had to rely on his wits and skill as a commander to win victories.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
The greatest army ever assembled by the Muslims was the one that faced Amde Seyon at the Battle of Das, where Amde Seyon fought 16 kingdoms and soldiers from 181 different regions. This force dwarfed the army assembled by Ahmed Gurey, but it fought Amde Seyon, the greatest conqueror in the history of the Horn of Africa and it was defeated.

:faysalwtf:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
The Afar people, are a fascinating people. Let me tell you a little of what I have researched:

There are actually two tribes that make up the Afar people, the Qacfar and the Ankaali. The Qacfar are descended from Xadhalmaaxis Cabdallah Mocadh Qacfar Mocadh Cafra. Xadhalmaaxis is the founder of the Qacfar nation. He married the daughter of the Ankaali king and the Ankaali play the role of Dir in the Daarood origin story, or Hawiye in the Ajuuraan origin story. The Ankaali are an ancient people.

The Qacfar patriarch Xadhalmaaxis his four sons make up the four main clans of Qacfar: Mooday, Adaacal, Sambol-Lakcoli and Uluctan. Based on the length of their lineage this happened only in the last 700 years, but they have very aggressively adopted conquered people.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland

I heard that Afar people i distant Somalis and if you look into their clan family tree they come back to Somalis, any truth to this? :cosbyhmm:
Btw i would like to assimilated the Afar people into the Somalis...

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP

Do you have any sources? I want to read morr about this.
You are making some wild claims here and still no source.

If what you say is true, how come he's so much less famous and feared than Ahmed Gurey?

Status
Not open for further replies.