Was there a single more important event in Horn of Africa history than the Great Oromo Migration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Afar were important allies of the Habesh kingdom and they played a significant role in the destruction of Adal. Adal itself, the area around Awsa oasis, was taken by the Danakil in the 17th century from the last successor state to Adal, the Imamate of Awsa.

The Afars have expanded very far to the south from their original homeland, they originally lived only in the northern half of what is now Afar territory, and held no territories south of Awsa oasis. What is now the southern half of Afar lands was originally inhabited by the ancestors of the Argobba, the Gabala people, and various Somali clans, and there was an important Gabala kingdom here and important Somali regions called Mora and Adal, all of which have been conquered by Afars in the last 300 years.

Many Somali and Gabala clans have been over the centuries assimilated into Afar clans. According to historical accounts of Mora, it was inhabited primarily by "Jeberti" (Darod) and today there is a large Afar subclan who live in what is now Mora who are of Darod descent.
We wuz kangz

VIP
I see. Interesting.

Have you done research on the Ciise - Afar conflict and history? I read that the latter claim Ciise to be paternally Afar but who at some point started speaking and identifying as Somali.
The genealogy of the whole Dir clan is weird to be honest. Having researched the clan system I believe the original clan system of Somalis was not like it is today, and was more akin to the Rendille clan system where there are a mixture of lineages, moeities and confederations, which over time has been streamlined into the modern Somali clan system and moeities and confederacy names have become ancestors in the abtirsi recitation.

This is why subclans of the same clan do not have the same number of fathers, as some subclans are older than others. Dir clans, almost universally, have short lineages. Gadabursi for instance counts about 25 generations to Dir, compared to 40 for Abgaal Hawiye for instance.

I believe that the Dir clan was originally a different tribe that lived to the west of other Somali tribes, and when the Somali kingdom broke up around 1150 and Somalis moved west, Dir people were incorporated into the Somali nation and were added to Irir Samaale, in the same manner that Xarla was added to Daarood later on. Around this time Daarood split from the Sagaalka Samaale to make a stand alone tribe and there are few traces left of their original connection to the Sagaalka Samaale, the new origin story for Daarood incorporates their dominance over Dir and explains it.

Stop defaming us. We're the original somalis and assimilated the rest of these oromo rats.

Sources on this so called kingdom breaking up in 1150?

Interesting. I personally never heard it before. Ahmed Gurey being Karanle and Amir Nuur being Marehan are popular but Ifat being Ogaden is new.

Ahmed gurey was abaskuul Jidwaq Absame stop making things up brother, kulaha ahmed gurey was karanley minority

and yes amir nuur was marehan, but ahmed gurey was his abti, not his adeeer,

t this day in ddsi karanley claims mohamed zubeer as protection from other ethnic groups and somali tribes so they use our name as defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts