Was the 13th century Fakhruddin masjid built with a Central Asian architectural style?

I was reading a book 'Exploring the Old Stone Town of Mogadishu' by Nuredin Hagi Scikei

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I came across an interesting section regarding the Fakhruddin masajid in Xamar Weyne being a little sophisticated than the other masjids in the area.

Firstly, he referenced an earlier study by E. Lambourn, in that Fakhruddin masajid's finishes were made of Cambay marble from Gujarat on top of it's coarse coral structure rather than fine fossilized coral the other masjids used.

ZxgJWnk.jpg

W4ihti7.jpg

More interestingly, he pointed out the motifs and mihrab on top of the mosque were very similar to the 12th century Chasma Ayub mausoleum in Bukhara, Uzebkistan.

pabkT4v.jpg

eriVmde.jpg

h6Lm1sb.jpg

@Hamzza @killerxsmoke @Garaad diinle

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
I was reading a book 'Exploring the Old Stone Town of Mogadishu' by Nuredin Hagi Scikei

I came across an interesting section regarding the Fakhruddin masajid in Xamar Weyne being a little sophisticated than the other masjids in the area.

Firstly, he referenced an earlier study by E. Lambourn, in that Fakhruddin masajid's finishes were made of Cambay marble from Gujarat on top of it's coarse coral structure rather than fine fossilized coral the other masjids used.

ZxgJWnk.jpg

W4ihti7.jpg

More interestingly, he pointed out the motifs and mihrab on top of the mosque were very similar to the 12th century Chasma Ayub mausoleum in Bukhara, Uzebkistan.

pabkT4v.jpg

eriVmde.jpg

h6Lm1sb.jpg

Yes this was most likely created by a guy from gujarat
1676927490051.png

The picture below is from gujarat, as you can see the thing in middle is similar to the one in gujarat. In the past we were trading with gujarat alot, In the 16th century, Duarte barbosa noted that many ships from the Kingdom of cambaya sailed to Mogadishu with cloths and spices for which they in return received gold, wax and ivory. The kingdom of cambaya is in Gujarat btw
figure-fig1_Q320.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-161340_eBoox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-161340_eBoox.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 57
We build budling in the western stile in Mogadishu today. Turkish architects, Somali architects, and arab architects but those identities aren't shown as much. The truth is that builders and artists look towards development and copy it. In that era central asia was ideal an our ancestors copied them. Were there central Asians in Mogadishu? Yes but they're very likely 1% of the population. Trade and the silk road made things like this possible.

Garaad diinle

 

ZxgJWnk.jpg

W4ihti7.jpg

pabkT4v.jpg

eriVmde.jpg

h6Lm1sb.jpg

Really interesting. Several mosques were built around that time in mogadishu which clearly points to a very rich city. Not long after the mosque were built ibn battuta travelled to mogadhishu and described it as infinite in size clearly points to a golden age for trade in that time. It makes sense that mogadishu was importing luxury goods for construction as far east as india but still it's unbelievable.

I remember reading how gujaraties were trading with mogadisho when the portuguese arrived which attest to the strong relationship between somalia and india. I also remember that darning the british raj a census was conducted in gujurat where somali traders were also counted.

vo8JwLF.png

There is even gujrati shia who use to live in mogadishu. My family was friends with one of these hind families in mogadishu that use to sell gold jewelries.

I wonder if other traders from lands further east also traded with mogadishu i mean they found kiliwan coins in australia so we know traders from the far east did trade in east africa.

Last edited:
Really interesting. Several mosques were built around that time in mogadishu which clearly points to a very rich city. Not long after the mosque were built ibn battuta travelled to mogadhishu and described it as infinite in size clearly points to a golden age for trade in that time. It makes sense that mogadishu was importing luxury goods for construction as far east as india but still it's unbelievable.

I remember reading how gujaraties were trading with mogadisho when the portuguese arrived which attest to the strong relationship between somalia and india. I also remember that darning the british raj a census was conducted in gujurat where somali traders were also counted.

vo8JwLF.png

There is even gujrati shia who use to live in mogadishu. My family was friends with one of these hind families in mogadishu that use to sell gold jewelries.

I wonder if other traders from lands further east also traded with mogadishu i mean they found kiliwan coins in australia so we know traders from the far east did trade in east africa.
Isn’t there a subtribe in Burco who originate from India? They look like light skin Somalis now but their abtiris is Hindi. They’re protected by the Habr Jeclo qabil.

Garaad diinle

 
Isn’t there a subtribe in Burco who originate from India? They look like light skin Somalis now but their abtiris is Hindi. They’re protected by the Habr Jeclo qabil.
As far as i know there were always indian traders found on the somali coast that were called banyanis. These banyanis were mentioned by the british colonial powers and i think they were also mentioned by the greeks 2000 years ago.

I read a while back how a number of somalis on the coast claim to have incorporated some indians traders into their clan. There is some in zaylac, some in berbera, some among the warsangali, reer bari and southern somalia. We know for sure that indians were found as far inland as harar so i wouldn't be surprised if they were also found in burco.

Here is some indian somalis that's been in somalia for more than 150 years. He's been to burco hargeysa and berbera. They look somewhat like reer xamar.

Here is some other indian somalis that's been in somalia for 200 years found in mogadishu.

Surprisingly some indian somalis still maintained some sort of connection to india while somalis despite being mentioned by the british raj as being traders in india and some even setteled in india most of them became unrecognizable indian citizens. Here you'll see hareri interviewing one somali indian familiy that's been in india for roughly a hundred year.

As far as i know there were always indian traders found on the somali coast that were called banyanis. These banyanis were mentioned by the british colonial powers and i think they were also mentioned by the greeks 2000 years ago.

I read a while back how a number of somalis on the coast claim to have incorporated some indians traders into their clan. There is some in zaylac, some in berbera, some among the warsangali, reer bari and southern somalia. We know for sure that indians were found as far inland as harar so i wouldn't be surprised if they were also found in burco.

Here is some indian somalis that's been in somalia for more than 150 years. He's been to burco hargeysa and berbera. They look somewhat like reer xamar.

Here is some other indian somalis that's been in somalia for 200 years found in mogadishu.

Surprisingly some indian somalis still maintained some sort of connection to india while somalis despite being mentioned by the british raj as being traders in india and some even setteled in india most of them became unrecognizable indian citizens. Here you'll see hareri interviewing one somali indian familiy that's been in india for roughly a hundred year.

Interesting. I need to find the video about the ones in Somaliland. They look proper Somali. Only difference is higher frequency of lighter skin. They had an event for them there and it was on YouTube. They looked like typical Northern Somalis but with Indian origins.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Interesting. I need to find the video about the ones in Somaliland. They look proper Somali. Only difference is higher frequency of lighter skin. They had an event for them there and it was on YouTube. They looked like typical Northern Somalis but with Indian origins.
This warsangali sultan is half indian, his mother is the one that is indian
220px-Sultan_Mohamoud_Ali_Shire_2.jpg

Som

VIP

Indians in Somalia were a huge community so they could maintain their culture. I don't think the Somali community in India was that big and it was mostly men. Indiana in somali brought their whole families

Som

VIP
Yes this was most likely created by a guy from gujarat
View attachment 255589

The picture below is from gujarat, as you can see the thing in middle is similar to the one in gujarat. In the past we were trading with gujarat alot, In the 16th century, Duarte barbosa noted that many ships from the Kingdom of cambaya sailed to Mogadishu with cloths and spices for which they in return received gold, wax and ivory. The kingdom of cambaya is in Gujarat btw
View attachment 255590
Speculation. Fakr Addin mosque predates Duarte Barbosa accounts by 2 centuries. In the early era of Mogadishu most foreigners were Arabs and persians

Som

VIP

ZxgJWnk.jpg

W4ihti7.jpg

pabkT4v.jpg

eriVmde.jpg

h6Lm1sb.jpg

Uzbekistan before turkification was essentially Persian. It's possible that Persians who settled in Mogadishu inspired this building style. However Fake Ad Din himself was not a Persian, probably an arabized somali

Uzbekistan before turkification was essentially Persian. It's possible that Persians who settled in Mogadishu inspired this building style. However Fake Ad Din himself was not a Persian, probably an arabized somali
That makes sense because his son Abu Bakar the sultan at the time of Ibn Battuta was described to be a dark skinned Barbar.

Reconstruction modeling of a 16th-century mosque in Somaliland:

I think it was built by the herders that undertook long-range pasture seasonal migrations.

Trending