Was Somalia better off in the warlord era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubble

VIP
Anyone else notice how Al Shabaab literally copied the warlord model? They set up check points for extortion, they redrew the borders with an Amir in each 'wilayat' just like the clan lords did by qabiil, they forcibly take taxes from shops for 'protection', they target their enemies ruthlessly and use civilian casualties as bargaining chips, they both controlled the ports and fought hardest for the ports, both can't accept compromise, and I'm sure there are more similarities. I see Shabaab as an extension of the warlords so it's still the warlord era to me :reallymaury:

angrycat

not so sad after all
better in safety I think, but its basically being colonized now in every way. Useless "govt" cant even protect their people from AS, when puntland has no issue keeping them out :draketf: not to mention amisom :snoop: theyre traitors pure n simple but their somali ethnicity grants them amnesty. I see them as no different then warlords, and Im sure some of them are former warlords.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
No, all we need now is a halfway decent government and the full support of the IC. There was little to no hope of peace back then, now rajo baa laga qaba despite the crippling self imposed roadblocks largely caused by the ineffectual government.

biggest battle was in April 1992 when SNF SSDF SPM was standing 30 km outside Mogadishu even Omar jess was on the darood side thousands of men died in that battle

The warlord days maps compared to the federal maps shows it's exactly the same game and as you said more deceptive because it's sugar coated as progress and reconciliation.
federalism means every war will be b.w two federal states rather an all out war involving other regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.