Users to provide ID to use social media

• Nah, I want my safe space

• Yes, exposes the racists

• Start of 1984 irl

Results are only viewable after voting.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

Apparently this idea has received some backing from social media personalities.

And I couldn't agree more.

Too many people talk on social media without being able to back their words up. If you really wanna talk about race/gender/sexuality etc. then get verified. Let's see whether you're actually about it. After what happened to Rashford, Sancho and Saka, I've come to terms regarding the necessity of this policy.

I understand the irony of posting this on an anonymous forum as an anonymous user but I've noticed two things. Firstly, this is the future of social media/forums, as governments will crack down on unsavoury rhetoric. Secondly, too many ppl on SSpot say sh*t they will never say irl because they feel sheltered by their anonymity despite their ethnicity not being anonymous.

Thoughts?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I'll add this: I would not provide my ID unless everyone had to provide their ID.

Regardless, this is also why I treat SSpot like Facebook, I write everything as if my boss is watching.

Its not relatively difficult to have your identity exposed with some good equipment and effort.

Don't see this happening in the US or Canada. Europe does not seem to value freedom, so it could happen there.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Don't see this happening in the US or Canada. Europe does not seem to value freedom, so it could happen there.

It can happen in the US as companies can say it's their right to demand identification to use their services. Companies have a right to know who is using their services. If you do not like it, you are not forced to use their services.

Social media is a privilege not a right.

It can happen in the US as companies can say it's their right to demand identification to use their services. Companies have a right to know who is using their services. If you do not like it, you are not forced to use their services.

Social media is a privilege not a right.

I really don't see this happening in the US. There will be a massive uproar. The social media companies will back down.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
this reminds me of south park anti-troll episodes

:

Trolling won't end.

There are heaps of verified trolls on social media that have their face and name.

We will just see who is really about what they're saying and who is only doing it for chaos.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I really don't see this happening in the US. There will be a massive uproar. The social media companies will back down.

Who gives a sh*t, let them use Parler.

If you don't want your family or boss to know what you're saying online then shut up.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
good luck...periplus using that underwater basket weaving and communist fashion degree to its fullest.

The joke wasn't funny the first time bro......

:farmajoyaab:

you go to uni for underwater basket weaving with a side major in communist fashion history?
What type of joke is that?

What does underwater basket weaving and communist fashion history have to do with the topic at hand. It is not even a relevant joke.

:mjlol: My guy just threw random syllables together and thought he did something mad.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
NEVER!!

Who else than me would be trolling the (((Eternal Lamagoodles))) if the companies start asking ID cards?

@Basra's outstanding career would've died if they implented this ANTI-FREEDOM, DYSTOPIAN measure!

:susp:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
NEVER!!

Who else than me would be trolling the (((Eternal Lamagoodles))) if the companies start asking ID cards?

@Basra's outstanding career would've died if they implented this ANTI-FREEDOM, DYSTOPIAN measure!

:susp:

If you wanna troll, no-one is stopping you.

Ppl that are worried about this measure are those that know what they say on the internet either is wrong or does not reflect their personal views.

As for freedom, no-one is forcing you to use social media. It's a company's prerogative to decide the terms and conditions of using their service. If you disagree with it, set up your own company or find a social media service that suits your terms or don't use it at all.

Last edited:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
nah I don't support that. I like the safety of being anonymous. I don't want people here to know my actual name, my background and my personal life.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I have never read 1984 but this is literally 1984

1984 would be forcing everyone to use social media companies that take your ID and immediately report anything you say that they do not like to your employer.

This is completely different.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
nah I don't support that. I like the safety of being anonymous. I don't want people here to know my actual name, my background and my personal life.

Two things is possible. Either everyone on the given social media site provides their details, so there is no imbalance of knowledge or you provide your ID details to the social media company and post anonymously.

The last option provides anonymity however, if you act up on social media (such as be racist, sexist or promote/commit crimes) your details will be provided to the police.

By virtue of being on the internet, you have given up total anonymity. Tomorrow, this site could be hacked and all of our details leaked. If you want total anonymity, the internet isn't the place for you regardless.

Last edited:
I dont get this, the average internet trolls are easy to trace anyways. If twitter staff wants to find your location they can easily do so. Even sspot, none of us are really anonymous. So if the social media company are the ones with your ID, what do they need it for? They can already get your addy within a minute.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
If you wanna troll, no-one is stopping you.

Ppl that are worried about this measure are those that know what they say on the internet either is wrong or does not reflect their personal views.

As for freedom, no-one is forcing you to use social media. It's a companies prerogative to decide the terms and conditions of using their service. If you disagree with it, set up your own company or find a social media service that suits your terms or don't use it at all.

Corporate Big Tech, liberal, lies.
Nobody is forcing me to use their plateforms; as them shall stop positionning themselves as free-plateforms for political and social talks.
Trump and other U.S politicians who got wrongfully censored didn't deserve it when you know that these companies allow Public Debates (with their own agenda) and thus, making it (social medias) as direct-democratic plateforms.

This hypocritical pseudo libertarian opinion doesn't stand for so long when you know that Mark Zuckerberg got relations with the European Union, esp France, and he does enjoy having some tax exonorations from Macron. It's funny to bring up the freedom of Companies to " work as they want, without any state interefence" while they love having a little handy from neo-Liberals like Emmanuel Macron.

And thus, the "Social Media" Corporates have establish themselves as reliable political pivots for the People and their favorite politicians, while enjoying a few privileges from countries like some European nations.

I'm as free to troll, use and degrade their "social media" apps as I'm capable of it.
They can kiss my ass if they want my ID card.

:camby:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I dont get this, the average internet trolls are easy to trace anyways. If twitter staff wants to find your location they can easily do so. Even sspot, none of us are really anonymous. So if the social media company are the ones with your ID, what do they need it for? They can already get your addy within a minute.

There are other reasons as well. Twitter has been lobbied to have a verification service to also weed out bots on their platform. By obtaining ID, they will be able to confirm who and who is not a bot.

I agree the average internet troll is easy to trace but by having this system, everybody will be aware of the lack of anonymity there really is. Now, people live in ignorant bliss about their exposure.

Trending

Latest posts