Unpopular Opinion- We should not compromise our beliefs even if it means we lose out

Sxbyaal,

This is an unpopular opinion within the realms of Somali Politics but this is what is right.

We shouldn't continue turning a blind eye on abuses of countries and people even if speaking out means that we lose out economically. The recent Turkey campaign against Kurds highlights this perfectly, Replace Turkey with Ethiopia and replace Kurds with Somalis living in Soomaali galbeed then you'll notice the similarities between the two. If we don't speak out when others are being attacked and colonized then who do we expect to speak out for us when the same happens to us.

Perhaps a better example would be China whose draconian state keeps Muslim Uyghurs in Concentration camps, forced marriages between Uyghur women and Han men, destruction of Masaajids and Islamic schools etc. Perhaps the most oppressed people on Earth and recently there was a UN vote to condemn the policies of the CCP towards them and embarrassingly, we Somalia voted against it.

hjbuj9stmvr31.png

Even if it means that there may be a cost to us financially/economically, we cannot ignore the basic principles of our culture, religion and humanity in the face of oppression. We should also start aligning ourself with countries whose values and respect for human rights and democracy are at the forefront of their governments like Sweden, Norway, Canada etc ( All countries with Somali populations whom they've catered for and helped substantially)

Somalia wasn't always like this, the government of Aadan Cadde (AUN) gave refuge for Eritreans, Hararis, Oromos even Kenyans after they ignored the referendum in the NFD. They did not compromise the basic principles of our religion even at the cost of some lost growth or development.

We cannot be hypocrites.

Before we seek to right the injustices of the world, let us first right the injustices within our own land, which are many and severe.

Before we seek to right the injustices of the world, let us first right the injustices within our own land, which are many and severe.

You can do both.

You can give more importance towards injustices within Somalia while at the same time caring about that outside of it.

We could have condemned China for the way they treat Uyghurs while also giving priority towards those in Somalia.

I'm not saying we should send out soldiers or start giving money to these oppressed people, but simply speaking out against injustices which have no cost is all I'm saying.

Sometimes a voice is powerful enough to give people hope and what a small cost a voice has

You can do both.

You can give more importance towards injustices within Somalia while at the same time caring about that outside of it.

We could have condemned China for the way they treat Uyghurs while also giving priority towards those in Somalia.

I'm not saying we should send out soldiers or start giving money to these oppressed people, but simply speaking out against injustices which have no cost is all I'm saying.

Sometimes a voice is powerful enough to give people hope and what a small cost a voice has

Somalia has no moral authority. A country needs moral authority for its criticism to have any weight.If we spoke out now, our lack of moral authority would mean our words would carry zero weight, and all the while the foreign policy interests of our fragile state would be seriously damaged. 'Choose your battles wisely' is an age-old tidbit of wisdom that applies here very aptly.

Somalia has no moral authority. A country needs moral authority for its criticism to have any weight.If we spoke out now, our lack of moral authority would mean our words would carry zero weight, and all the while the foreign policy interests of our fragile state would be seriously damaged. 'Choose your battles wisely' is an age-old tidbit of wisdom that applies here very aptly.

Again Sxb you can do both.

We can focus on bettering ourselves and our actions while also highlighting the injustices of others.

Sxp there's something called priorities. A know it's a topic a lot of Somalis struggle with.

Again my priorities are Somalis, their livelihoods and struggles but simply speaking out against the injustices of others especially when there is no cost is something we should do.

We cannot expect others to do the same for us if we aren't willing to do the same for them.

Again my priorities are Somalis, their livelihoods and struggles but simply speaking out against the injustices of others especially when there is no cost is something we should do.

We cannot expect others to do the same for us if we aren't willing to do the same for them.

The situation with Turkey and the Kurds is definitely a moral conundrum, sxp. The Kurdish situation is analogous to the situation of Somalis in Ethiopia prior to ethnic federalism. Still, I think it's an issue that we cannot get involved in right now. Realism sometimes needs to trump idealism, at least temporarily. But in the end, I believe justice will always prevail.

Isn't it the case that you don't believe in Islam?

It may be that you are giving the atheist line.

However, from an Islamic perspective, OP is right. It's a matter of whether one really believes and practices what Islam teaches or not. It's a matter of doing what's right.

I mean... plus, your avatar is a representation of the devil.

You can do both.

It's simply a matter of doing the right thing and whether or not one believes in doing the right thing. Frankly, I think it's a question of whether one really believes in Islam or not. The correct standpoint from an Islamic point of view is very clear.

The Hypocrites, men and women, (have an understanding) with each other: They enjoin evil, and forbid what is just, and are close with their hands. They have forgotten Allah; so He hath forgotten them. Verily the Hypocrites are rebellious and perverse.

-Surah At-Tawbah 9:67

The idiot thinks throwing away our turkish support for stateless gypsies is the "just" way.

:mindblown::kanyehmm:

The PKK are a terrorist organization.

It's simply a matter of doing the right thing and whether or not one believes in doing the right thing. Frankly, I think it's a question of whether one really believes in Islam or not. The correct standpoint from an Islamic point of view is very clear.

The Hypocrites, men and women, (have an understanding) with each other: They enjoin evil, and forbid what is just, and are close with their hands. They have forgotten Allah; so He hath forgotten them. Verily the Hypocrites are rebellious and perverse.

-Surah At-Tawbah 9:67

If you bwlivw5 the PKK, terrorists , are correct why dont you go foght with them?

Dont drag us into youe suicidal pact.

Somalis first always. Anything that remotely disadvantages Somalis in any way should be totally ignored. You suggesting Somalia going against Turkey it's major ally in all sectors of nation building for some PKK terrorist organisation is utterly moronic.

Somali's foreign policy should be guided by "what do Somalis stand to gain or loose" and not by "what do the liberals feel is right "

Trending

Latest posts