UK Opposes Somalia Arms Embargo Being Lifted

They have opposed since forever. They need a weak and highly unstable almost non existent central government in mogadisho. Nothing new

Macalin M

Out here
UK’s word shouldn’t mean much anyway. Correct me if I’m wrong but I wouldn’t even trust them. They ain’t a powerhouse anymore. America’s sidekick basically. Tell them focus on Brexit, that’s all I’ve heard on the radio for the past 3+ years

UK’s word shouldn’t mean much anyway. Correct me if I’m wrong but I wouldn’t even trust them. They ain’t a powerhouse anymore. America’s sidekick basically. Tell them focus on Brexit, that’s all I’ve heard on the radio for the past 3+ years

The point is they are more powerful than you. Have you noticed they never have anything negative to say about kenya or ethiopia. Even ethnic cleansing and clashes in ethiopia you never hear the british say anything. Its because they are useful to them against somalia and have been since colonial times. Its only tribalist somalis that dont understand this.

Teflon

Inactive
VIP
the uk doesn't want a strong somalia that can secure its land on its own. if it was lifted somalia wouldn't need amisom

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
UK is still mad their UN ambassador to Somalia was replaced with an American one by this current government:mjlol:

This third-rate Brexit wasteland has no relevance. It should be booted from the security council in favor of Germany--the real leader of Europe.

The arms embargo on Somalia will be lifted by the end of the year now that America and Russia want it to be lifted, the UK is irrelevant on this now.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
We don't care about the langaab uk. Let them deal with the prospect of no deal brexit. Realistically, the only reason they haven't weighed in and supported kenya on the icj maritime dispute is because the british public would eat them alive if they discussed meddling in foreign affairs at such a time as this.

The more issues the uk faces, the busier they will be and essentially they won't be able to favour and aid kenya in meddling in somali affairs.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
I agree with his concern as I am also afraid that weapons might end up in the wrong hands. We have seen soldiers and politicians selling them to alshabaab in the past. So yes the concern has merit, however knowing UK foreign policies, I also believe there’s personal interest in keeping Somalia weak and relying on foreign power for defense. Allahu aclam, we will be ok :)

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
38148677_105.png

lool makes sence the uk is the number one enemy of somalia with their colony in kenya tanzania and uganda they have sent their colonial army amisom and kenya and dont want to see a strong somalia its in their best intrest that somalia is gobbeled up a subject of kenya and become a colony of the british empire 2.0 or commonwealth

so its in their best intrest to not have a strong somali army and have their colonial amisom army instead with whom they pay equip and sponsor

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
The arms embargo on Somalia will be lifted by the end of the year now that America and Russia want it to be lifted, the UK is irrelevant on this now.
U.S. doesn't want to lift it either.

https://goobjoog.com/english/un-security-council-censures-somalia-for-non-cooperation/
Somalia’s failure to cooperate with the UN Panel of Experts risks undermining monitoring of weapons flow into the Horn of Africa nation, the UN Security Council was told Friday.

Representatives from the US, Germany and France pointed fingers at Somali Federal Government for what it termed as non-cooperation with the Panel of Experts which replaced the UN Monitoring Group last year.
“The ongoing refusal of the FGS to engage with the Panel of Experts, and to support its work, is troubling,” said Berkin. “We will not ignore, or enable, the FGS’s ongoing efforts to stymie the work of the Panel of Experts.”

He noted the panel was ‘the eyes and ears on the ground in Somalia and in the region for the Sanctions Committee and ultimately for this Council.’

Germany and France also took issue with Somalia over lack of cooperation.

UK representative Jonathan Allen also voiced concerns noting failure to cooperate with the PoE was not ‘acceptable’
Somalia has come under sharp criticism in the past for failing to cooperate with UN Monitoring Group

The US lashed out at the Somali government early this year on similar grounds noting the arms embargo would not be lifted unless Somalia cooperates.

“On the arms embargo, we have encouraged Somalia to engage productively with the Panel of Experts, and will continue to do so,” acting US Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Jonathan Cohen told the Security Council in March. “Somalia appears to believe that the Security Council will eventually lift the sanctions despite a lack of engagement with the panel.”
It would be foolish to lift sanctions when Al Shabaab members hold high ranking positions in the FGS and regularly receive weapons from NISA and the SNA. The FGS has no interest in making changes so the international community shouldn't make any changes either.

Teflon

Inactive
VIP
U.S. doesn't want to lift it either.

https://goobjoog.com/english/un-security-council-censures-somalia-for-non-cooperation/

It would be foolish to lift sanctions when Al Shabaab members hold high ranking positions in the FGS and regularly receive weapons from NISA and the SNA. The FGS has no interest in making changes so the international community shouldn't make any changes either.

will somalia ever get rid of al shabaab cause after 11 years there still in somalia and much stronger than SNA somehow

Trending

Latest posts