UK girl calls herself lightskin but everyone disagrees

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
SmartSelect_20211016-142605_Gallery.gif

She's light in SSA standards
Black americans should realize that west africans aren't 25% white and don't consider mixed race people black

So how exactly is having 'light-skin' a badge of honour or something to boast about?
:mindblown::umwhat:

I think features, body frame and height matter far more, at least for me.

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
So how exactly is having 'light-skin' a badge of honour or something to boast about?

She’s fighting for her right to be lightskin so bad lol. She seems to really object to being considered brownskin. It gives me colorist vibes.

Som

VIP
She's light in SSA standards
Black americans should realize that west africans aren't 25% white and don't consider mixed race people black
Depends where in SSA. There are nigerians who are legit light skinned with no creams and stuff like that. She would be super light skinned in Senegal or South Sudan but in places like Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Southafrica etc she would be considered average in skin tone

Happy_

Laa ta aamin nin wa law kaana ninkaaga- bom!
Even Nicki Minaj chimed in and put in her two cents. You iz not lightskinned naaya, bay tidhi :mjlol:

She’s fighting for her right to be lightskin so bad lol. She seems to really object to being considered brownskin. It gives me colorist vibes.

The whole thing is tragic. I'm genuinely sad for her.

Wait until she finds out that facial symmetry is far more important.

broad-city-ilana-glazer.gif

Last edited:

Since we're on this topic, what's considered light skin in South Sudan.
Is Lupita light skin, what about Don Cheadle
If you take the average west african are they light skin there.

She’s lightskin for African standards but Americans are flooding the comments with their own standards of light skin. But they consider half white people lightskins so ofc this girl seems dark to them

I’m around the same shade as her (maybe one shade lighter) and people have been calling me lightskin my whole life :manny:

It’s not that deep at the end of the day but different cultures have different definition of light and dark skin

Since we're on this topic, what's considered light skin in South Sudan.
Is Lupita light skin, what about Don Cheadle
If you take the average west african are they light skin there.

Lupita is lighter than your average South Sudanese but she's not so exceptionally light that people would make note of it -- as she's well within the range of variation; there are Nilotics with a red tinge and virtually every family has them.

My half sister has the same skin tone as Lupita, if not lighter.

Don Cheadle's skin tone wouldn't stand out and neither would the average West African; southern Africans, Horn Africans, Igbo and Fulanis would stand out, but the rest of the continent wouldn't really turn heads.

The Dinka and Nuer constitute almost 60% of South Sudan's population but there are other ethnicities that do look different.

We have an entire State (Western Equatoria) where the people are lighter than the average West African. WES is home to the Zande -- a Bantu Nationanality that is the 3rd largest after the Dinka and Nuer.

Zande

c04cda04-808e-4295-a126-680cd09b5b05-1.jpg

Edg0yMdWoAE2fQa.jpeg

We also have a dozen or so ethnicities in Western Bahr El Ghazal that are much lighter than the Nilotic Dinka-Nuer; these people are collectively called 'Fertit', and they are a Central Sudanic population.

gettyimages-618506988-612x612.jpg
south-sudan-cattle-vaccination-disease-communities-armed-conflict-03.jpg

Last edited:
She's not light skinned by Western blacks and horn African standards, but back in other parts of Africa, people would definitely see her as light skin. I think she's Yoruba Nigerian and for them, she's definitely light skinned. I as a Somali, would definitely not see her as light skin, so obviously where you are from is going to influence your perceptions on skintone.

I don't know why people are obsessed with skintone. If she was to call herself darkskin, people wouldn't bat an eyelid even though she isn't, but her calling herself lightskin is seen as embarrassing because people associate 'light skin' as being an attractive trait. All in alll, a lot of people are just colorist, but pretend otherwise, that is why people are mad and fighting her in the comment section.

Trending