UK girl calls herself lightskin but everyone disagrees

She’s fighting for her right to be lightskin so bad lol. She seems to really object to being considered brownskin. It gives me colorist vibes.

Sis, people are fighting her for calling herself light. If she called herself dark, even though she isn't they wouldn't be mad. All in all, everyone is giving me colorist vibes. What is special about being light? Why does someone perceiving themselves light irritate people, but not the opposite?

She's not light skinned by Western blacks and horn African standards, but back in other parts of Africa, people would definitely see her as light skin. I think she's Yoruba Nigerian and for them, she's definitely light skinned. I as a Somali, would definitely not see her as light skin, so obviously where you are from is going to influence your perceptions on skintone.

I don't know why people are obsessed with skintone. If she was to call herself darkskin, people wouldn't bat an eyelid even though she isn't, but her calling herself lightskin is seen as embarrassing because people associate 'light skin' as being an attractive trait. All in alll, a lot of people are just colorist, but pretend otherwise, that is why people are mad and fighting her in the comment section.
It's weird that she's getting so defensive about it, I'm a full shade lighter and I'd feel like a dickhead for even saying I'm "lightskin". If you take pride in something trivial as skintone you deserve to get dogpiled by tiktok Americunt madoows lol

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
Sis, people are fighting her for calling herself light. If she called herself dark, even though she isn't they wouldn't be mad. All in all, everyone is giving me colorist vibes. What is special about being light? Why does someone perceiving themselves light irritate people, but not the opposite?
Tbh a lot of people do get mad when brownskins call themselves dark. And in the natural hair community, girls with looser curl textures get rightfully called out for saying they have kinkier textures.

Lupita is lighter than your average South Sudanese but she's not so exceptionally light that people would make note of it -- as she's well within the range of variation; there are Nilotics with a red tinge and virtually every family has them.

My half sister has the same skin tone as Lupita, if not lighter.

Don Cheadle's skin tone wouldn't stand out and neither would the average West African; southern Africans, Horn Africans, Igbo and Fulanis would stand out, but the rest of the continent wouldn't really turn heads.

The Dinka and Nuer constitute almost 60% of South Sudan's population but there are other ethnicities that do look different.

We have an entire State (Western Equatoria) where the people are lighter than the average West African. WES is home to the Zande -- a Bantu Nationanality that is the 3rd largest after the Dinka and Nuer.

Zande

View attachment 205317

View attachment 205318

We also have a dozen or so ethnicities in Western Bahr El Ghazal that are much lighter than the Nilotic Dinka-Nuer; these people are collectively called 'Fertit', and they are a Central Sudanic population.

View attachment 205319View attachment 205320
The Zande and the Ferit people would blend into West Africa, most especially the Zande. They're not in anyway lighter than the average west African. Lupita would stand out in a place like Nigeria because of her tone of deep darkskin, they might think she was a dark Hausa or dark Ghanaian. Igbos are not lighter generally and won't stand out from the Zande , they have some yellow bones like Yorubas and other West Africa tribes, but they're mostly brown and darkskinned. There are darkskinned Fulanis too, they would stand out in South Sudan because of their horn like features.

The Zande and the Ferit people would blend into West Africa, most especially the Zande. They're not in anyway lighter than the average west African. Lupita would stand out in a place like Nigeria because of her tone of deep darkskin, they might think she was a dark Hausa or dark Ghanaian. Igbos are not lighter generally and won't stand out from the Zande , they have some yellow bones like Yorubas and other West Africa tribes, but they're mostly brown and darkskinned. There are darkskinned Fulanis too, they would stand out in South Sudan because of their horn like features.

You might be right about the Zande and the Fertit, but I disagree with you about Lupita.

I doubt Lupita would stand out in most areas of West Africa; very few West Africans I've seen are noticeably lighter than her.

The Fulani are definitely lighter than South Sudanese and their features are pseudo Horner, so they would stand out. We actually have a very small minority of Fula in Bahr El Ghazal.

As a man, it’s feels geigh to talk about skin tone and hair texture but man this TikTok slang is mad annoying

Its giving this its giving that. I really hope they don’t talk like that in real life 🤮🤮

It's weird that she's getting so defensive about it, I'm a full shade lighter and I'd feel like a dickhead for even saying I'm "lightskin". If you take pride in something trivial as skintone you deserve to get dogpiled by tiktok Americunt madoows lol

Why is saying 'i'm darkskin' not an issue for them though? Its because they have an inferiority complex when it comes to lightness, so saying you're lightskin is like bragging from their perspective.

Even Nikki Minaj wrote a comment 👀👀 theres deffo a hierarchy that people are trying to maintain!

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
I have the same skin tone as her but I consider myself medium brown . Why are people so obsessed with being called light skinned, yaab badanaa.

Depends where in SSA. There are nigerians who are legit light skinned with no creams and stuff like that. She would be super light skinned in Senegal or South Sudan but in places like Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Southafrica etc she would be considered average in skin tone
there are light skinned senegalese she wouldn´t be super light skinned

Trending

Latest posts