Trolley Problem: Who would you save?

Who should be saved?

• Somali Man from your Qabiil

• Arab Family

Results are only viewable after voting.

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
1584980584486.jpg

Pulling the lever means saving the Arab family and killing your cousin, is it worth it? Vote if you wanna see the results

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Arab. They're probably richer and as thanks for saving them, I'm going to become an honored Son-in-Law :diddyass:

the diagram literally shows the specifics of the Arab family, even the genders of the children
this is emotional manipulation!

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
I never actually understood the moral “dilemma” with the trolley problem. Just save the 5 people by diverting the train tf

It gets more interesting if you say theres 5 really old people on side and like a toddler on the other, then I’d actually have to think about it.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
I never actually understood the moral “dilemma” with the trolley problem. Just save the 5 people by diverting the train tf

It gets more interesting if you say theres 5 really old people on side and like a toddler on the other, then I’d actually have to think about it.

the moral dilemma is about taking life

Do you have the right to take a life? Who gets to choose who dies and who lives?

Also, the young toddler is a no brainer? Wtf do old people contribute anymore

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
I don't believe in act utilitarianism.

I'm saving my tribal cousin.
I'm also not a fan of utilitarianism, I believe it encourages black and white thinking and cold mathematical decisions rather than considering the nuances of situations, like for example does that man have terminal illness or a history of substance abuse? Or is there a doctor within the Arab family and letting them go will lead to more lives being saved? Or vice versa, I think we should look passed the bloodline and measure that person's contribution to a society in order to gain the absolute best possible result

But if I were to be blindly put in such a situation with no information on the subjects whatsoever then I'm taking the utilitarian route, The greater good is always in the interest of the majority.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I'm also not a fan of utilitarianism, I believe it encourages black and white thinking and cold mathematical decisions rather than considering the nuances of situations, like for example does that man have terminal illness or a history of substance abuse? Or is there a doctor within the Arab family and letting them go will lead to more lives being saved? Or vice versa, I think we should look passed the bloodline and measure that person's contribution to a society in order to gain the absolute best possible result

But if I were to be blindly put in such a situation with no information on the subjects whatsoever then I'm taking the utilitarian route, The greater good is always in the interest of the majority.

When making lightning quick decisions we often act in favour of our emotions and our primordial selves surface. You also haven't mentioned the degree of closeness with this relative. Also, we are beholden to the tribe a bit more than we think. If we don't save him it might me ostracism and alienation from the group. And the mind registers rejection as abandonment which is a psychological form of torment linked to death. Having him die might feel like dying yourself which is a lot less guilt than if a family 'you have zero connection to' disappears. Even if the life lost of one individual is in service of the life of a group/family.
You could always rationalize that you couldn't quite save them and if the tables were turned a member of their kin would choose their qabil/member of their ethnic group over a Somali family of four.

Trending

Latest posts