Time to end cousin marriages

Are you in favour of cousin marriage?

• Yes, generally in favour

• No, not in favour

• Unsure about it, no strong feelings either way

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not going by what that website says as I don't trust them. the guy behind it is Faraz Rabbani. he is a Sufi who promotes things like mawlid, he is unreliable.
Check this one out, He’s Salafi:

It’s a well known saying by Omar bin Khattab. I actually first read about it in my book of marriage by a Hanbali scholar years ago. I didn’t learn about this by Faraz. Also, Faraz also illustrates this is a Hanbali view with actual sources.

anyways do your own research, but Omar bin Khattab did indeed warn against frequent generational marriages. This is a fact.

Also, Imam Shafi said:

Al-Shafi’i said, “Whenever the people of a household do not allow their women to marry men outside of their line, there will be fools among their children.”

Source: al-Talkhīṣ al-Ḥabīr 1371

عَنْ ابْنِ أَبِي مُلَيْكَةَ قَالَ قَالَ عُمَرُ بن الخطاب رضي الله عنه لِآلِ السَّائِبِ قَدْ أَضْوَأْتُمْ فَانْكِحُوا فِي النَّوَابِغِ يَعْنِي تَزَوَّجُوا الْغَرَائِبَ

قَالَ الشَّافِعِي أَيُّمَا أَهْلِ بَيْتٍ لَمْ تَخْرُجْ نِسَاؤُهُمْ إلَى رِجَالٍ غَيْرِهِمْ كَانَ فِي أَوْلَادِهِمْ حُمْقٌ

1371 التلخيص الحبير

Check this one out, He’s Salafi:

It’s a well known saying by Omar bin Khattab. I actually first read about it in my book of marriage by a Hanbali scholar years ago. I didn’t learn about this by Faraz. Also, Faraz also illustrates this is a Hanbali view with actual sources.

anyways do your own research, but Omar bin Khattab did indeed warn against frequent generational marriages. This is a fact.

Imam Shafi said:

Al-Shafi’i said, “Whenever the people of a household do not allow their women to marry men outside of their line, there will be fools among their children.”

Source: al-Talkhīṣ al-Ḥabīr 1371

عَنْ ابْنِ أَبِي مُلَيْكَةَ قَالَ قَالَ عُمَرُ بن الخطاب رضي الله عنه لِآلِ السَّائِبِ قَدْ أَضْوَأْتُمْ فَانْكِحُوا فِي النَّوَابِغِ يَعْنِي تَزَوَّجُوا الْغَرَائِبَ

قَالَ الشَّافِعِي أَيُّمَا أَهْلِ بَيْتٍ لَمْ تَخْرُجْ نِسَاؤُهُمْ إلَى رِجَالٍ غَيْرِهِمْ كَانَ فِي أَوْلَادِهِمْ حُمْقٌ

1371 التلخيص الحبير

the man is not Salafi. he is openly a Sufi. as for these quotes, I don't know that they are authentic.

edit: I also don't trust that Abu Elias site either. they are with Al-Maghrib or one of those "Western Islam" rand Muslim institutions

also edit: yes, Yaqeen Institute... Western rand Islam

the man is not Salafi. he is openly a Sufi. as for these quotes, I don't know that they are authentic.

edit: I also don't trust that Abu Elias site either. they are with Al-Maghrib or one of those "Western Islam" rand Muslim institutions
I was talking about Abu Elias. Also, what’s wrong with Al-Maghrib? Why would you cast doubts on Abu Elias??

My point is, do you believe that the quote of Imam Shafi is made up? You can easily do a cross reference. Do your own research InshaAllah and you’ll find that Omar bin Khattab did indeed say that and so did Imam Shafi.

Even if you do disagree with their Islamic stances I highly doubt that they would make up a lie attributed to a Sahabi and a well known scholar, especially when it could easily be verified.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I have no idea if that's halal. but no, there is nothing wrong with cousin marriage. and no human has any authority to "end cousin marriages" because this is against the sharia.
yes they can. Islamic leaders have the ability to ban something halal if it leads to betterment of society. Some families could use it.

Hamzza

VIP
The risks related to offspring from cousin marriages are drastically exaggerated.

Cousin marriages shall continue inshallah.

I've known a lot of Somalis and I've never met a Somali that has married their 1st cousin; it's a Pakistani and Arab problem.

:nahgirl:

There are plenty. Maybe not as much as Arabs or Pakistanis, but its common. I have a distant relative who's parents are 1st cousins.

So Somalia even heavily engage in cousin marriage? There are no good stats on Somalia and Somalis constantly marry outside their clan.

I think women are being protected, by only making immediate families a "mahrem". We all know that a lot of men lust after any girl/woman regardless of relation. Therefore, just because a girl/woman has to cover up around cousins etc, does not mean, she has to marry her cousin.

Permissable is not the same as encouraged.