The Unspoken Obession with Horn of African features

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
:ftw9nwa: I came across this video which was randomly suggested on YT. About the obsession with the Horn of African phenotype. What are your thoughts?

:deadrose: I told you we don't need to speak to get mentioned. It happens organically.

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
:ftw9nwa: I came across this video which was randomly suggested on YT. About the obsession with the Horn of African phenotype. What are your thoughts?

:deadrose: I told you we don't need to speak to get mentioned. It happens organically.
I was watching that video earlier slakskska

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
Somalis are very media savvy. I'm not suprised you saw it. What was your opinion?
i keep up with those channels i was expecting this video tbh.Honestly ppl are obsessed with East African/Horner features and have been for a long time but it’s kind of like a “gotcha” moment for Somalis because ppl like to say we aren’t Africans cause we don’t look like them.She spilled for the most part

Last edited:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

I hate when she said that many of Somalis have arab in them, it is simply not true.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
i keep up with those channels i was expecting this video tbh.Honestly ppl are obsessed with East African/Horner features and have been for a long time but it’s kind of like a “gotcha” moment for Somalis because ppl like to say we aren’t Africans cause we don’t look like them.She spilled.

The odd thing is I've never experienced overt hostility from madow women. I would say misconceptions regarding our appearance and explanations for it have been circulating the web long before social media. It isn't merely madows but many other groups that find the keen features and/or loose textured hair confusing on Africans lol.

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
The odd thing is I've never experienced overt hostility from madow women. I would say misconceptions regard our appearance and explanations for it have been circulating the web long before social media. It isn't merely madows but many other groups that find the keen features and/or loose textured hair confusing on Africans lol.
it’s pretty much only on the internet nobody gives a f*ck irl tbh. there’s this guy who’s constantly on live talking about us and one time he allegedly said he wanted to kill us all.

reer

VIP
The odd thing is I've never experienced overt hostility from madow women. I would say misconceptions regard our appearance and explanations for it have been circulating the web long before social media. It isn't merely madows but many other groups that find the keen features and/or loose textured hair confusing on Africans lol.
the hostility from niger-congo people is in uk. esp. or specifically christian/gaalo niger-congo people.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I hate when she said that many of Somalis have arab in them, it is simply not true.
It's a very common misconception which is uttered to no end. I'm sure Somali armchair geneticists will make that clarification in the comments. I think the point stands. That the obsession is real. Skimming the comments I saw someone coin the term 🤣 "Ancient Multigenerationally Mixed" (AMA). One remarked that we often marry each other to keep the features alive. Otherwise they'll disappear. Something to that effect.
Happy X Factor GIF by X Factor Global

I will never forget when I went to the hair salon to go get my hair trimmed and straighten when this Filipino lady comes out of nowhere shocked that my hair was long and straight. She was like how is your hair like this and you’re soo black LOL ( I’m dark skin 😂)?!? I was like I’m Somali duuuhhhh we all have hair like this! Then the iranian lady that was doing my hair said yeep Somalis have beautiful hair!

I left the place feeling like the shit but also was pissed that she said I’m so black LOL. But I guess a win is a win right?!?!

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Did she say we were multigenerational mixed? lol
Someone corrected with. "Ancient". Lol.
it’s pretty much only on the internet nobody gives a f*ck irl tbh. there’s this guy who’s constantly on live talking about us and one time he allegedly said he wanted to kill us all.
I think we have different experiences IRL.
Threatening to kill people? I'll assume he's unstable.
the hostility from niger-congo people is in uk. esp. or specifically christian/gaalo niger-congo people.
In North America the experience is very different.
I will never forget when I went to the hair salon to go get my hair trimmed and straighten when this Filipino lady comes out of nowhere shocked that my hair was long and straight. She was like how is your hair like this and you’re soo black LOL ( I’m dark skin 😂)?!? I was like I’m Somali duuuhhhh we all have hair like this! Then the iranian lady that was doing my hair said yeep Somalis have beautiful hair!

I left the place feeling like the shit but also was pissed that she said I’m so black LOL. But I guess a win is a win right?!?!
Lol. I heard the opposite. Small nose, wavy hair, dark skin and African is Somali 9 times out of 10. Those with no experience with Somalis are the ones suprised. Though I could see how the remark was off putting.

Someone corrected with. "Ancient". Lol.

I think we have different experiences IRL.
Threatening to kill people? I'll assume he's unstable.

In North America the experience is very different.

Lol. I heard the opposite. Small nose, wavy haired, dark skinned and African is Somali 9 times out of 10. Those with no experience with Somalis are the ones suprised.
That’s what shocked me lool I honestly think she hasn’t seen a Somali before or doesn’t have much interactions with us like that. But it’s true the standard Somali look for ajanabi is dark skin, small features, and timo jileec.

I think we need to completely ignore people who bring this subject up. I remember being asked the usual hair, features and are you black, are you Arab, are you mixed? questions.

Best thing to do is just smile and change the topic. Do not even engage the topic. Eventually they get frustrated and move on when they see you are not responding to it.

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement

Big LOL moment at 1:35. I swear to god west indie madows won’t exist by 2150 with the way they solve their gender issues by dating the oppressors they complain about 😂

Trending

Latest posts