The Somali language basically consists of

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
Arabic, Italian, Hindi, English and some Swahili and French thrown in there :noneck:

We probably have less than 30% of original words.

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Only recently did i notice my favourite somali song from childhood was in damn hindi I couldn't fucking believe it.

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
The longer somalia unstable the more loan words will enter the language. Once we are actually stable we can do what france does and make new words in Somali for words till then we got to make do with what we got

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
How dare you waarya, I’m the proudest somali you will meet, that’s why I’m suggesting we get rid off all the loan words:yousmart:

how do you say pineapple, mango, tomatoes, car, ice, in Somali :siilaanyolaugh:
Not denying it its just sad
:noneck:

We have zero Hindi words - just common words vis-a-vis Arabic

The north and Djibouti have virtually zero words from Italian

Everywhere outside of Djibouti has zero French

English is the universal language - words have a "ka" added on at the end, and presto! Somalified.

Swahili only appears in the lexicon of Somalis from our Kenyan occupied territory

Arabic has maybe 20-30%. Everything else combined across dialects is less than 20%

Tukraq

VIP
We have absolutely zero overlap with Hindi - just common words vis-a-vis Arabic

English is the universal language - words have a "ka" added on at the end, and presto! Somalified.

Swahili only appears in the lexicon of Somalis from our Kenyan occupied territory

Arabic has maybe 20-30%. Everything else combined across dialects is less than 20%
we also have somali words for all the arabic ones tbh, so really 100 percent somali language if you wanted to speak somali with no outside influences

Mimir

Caafimaad baby
How dare you waarya, I’m the proudest somali you will meet, that’s why I’m suggesting we get rid off all the loan words:yousmart:

how do you say pineapple, mango, tomatoes, car, ice, in Somali :siilaanyolaugh:
That is not more than 70%:ftw9nwa:

NotMyL

VIP

Haaye what’s the word for pineapple then? Have I been saying pineapple wrong this whole time? And isn’t gaari and dukaan typical Somali words that are Hindi?

Haaye what’s the word for pineapple then? Have I been saying pineapple wrong this whole time? And isn’t gaari and dukaan typical Somali words that are Hindi?

Gaari and dukaan are Somali words that Hindis use lol

I need to ask my parents for help tho - I think my Somali is only about 5% better than yours :siilaanyolaugh:

NotMyL

VIP
Tell me the words that Hindus use that we use, not hating btw I’m just curious. Plus Swahili and the others.
It’s been mentioned already read the above posts, gaari, dukaan, baraaf are Hindi words. As for Swahili words like jeeko or baangad are swahili words we use im sure there are more.
Gaari and dukaan are Somali words that Hindis use lol

I need to ask my parents for help tho - I think my Somali is only about 5% better than yours :siilaanyolaugh:
Lol then can’t you say that for everything else too? Why do we say we borrowed Arabic words? We can just say they are words they use and we use lol What’s the difference?

It’s been mentioned already read the above posts, gaari, dukaan, baraaf are Hindi words. As for Swahili words like jeeko or baangad are swahili words we use im sure there are more.

Lol then can’t you say that for everything else too? Why do we say we borrowed Arabic words? We can just say they are words they use and we use lol What’s the difference?

Exactly my point lol. All those words are Somali - they use our language. Somali indha adeeg at it's finest

I'll get back to you when I've found answers InshaAllah

Meanwhile, brother @ZakWantsToPlay is a pro at af Soomali mashaAllah. We should use his skillz

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
There definitely are Somali words for some of these things, we just replaced it with the more popular words

For instance I'm seeing people here saying the word Gari and Dukan are loan words but there are other words for these things as well like Dukan can be called tabakaayo or Babuur/gawaadi for Car, Somali word for pineapple is Cananaas btw

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

Please tell me a Hindi loan word except for sambuso :gaasdrink:

For Hindi I am pretty sure stuff like Roti, and Jabaati are Hindi

Tukraq

VIP
like I said there are loan words but you don't have to use them, babuur, or
kayd you don't have to say garri or dukaan

Trending