The secret behind South Korea's economic success. From civil war to 1st world country in 50 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched this video about South Korea's economic success that someone here linked. They were like us after 1950. The country was coming out of a brutal war and everything was rubble. They were the poorest country in the world.

South Korea is the only country in the world to go from being an aid recipient to being an aid provider. It's a very inspiring video and I think Somalia can take lessons from it.

The first stage of their economic reformation was education. They made sure every boy and girl went to school even though the country was starving. This built up a skilled workforce that could develop the country.

That's where we are at right now. We must get free education in Somalia.

Another successful country, Botswana, did the same thing after independence. They bet everything on education and are now the wealthiest country in Africa.

Right now we have unqualified teachers and some families picking only the oldest boys to send to school because that's all they can afford in some regions and even worse in others.

We have to focus on education or the best we can hope for is to become a retarded country stuck in the middle income bracket like Brazil.

@Deactivated Share your wisdom sxb.

I think it was me that posted a video a while back

La Xawla

Long Live the Somali Republic
erase qabil first

giphy.gif
Qabiil = Somali. Not gonna happen

La Xawla

I watched this video about South Korea's economic success that someone here linked. They were like us after 1950. The country was coming out of a brutal war and everything was rubble. They were the poorest country in the world.

South Korea is the only country in the world to go from being an aid recipient to being an aid provider. It's a very inspiring video and I think Somalia can take lessons from it.

The first stage of their economic reformation was education. They made sure every boy and girl went to school even though the country was starving. This built up a skilled workforce that could develop the country.

That's where we are at right now. We must get free education in Somalia.

Another successful country, Botswana, did the same thing after independence. They bet everything on education and are now the wealthiest country in Africa.

Right now we have unqualified teachers and some families picking only the oldest boys to send to school because that's all they can afford in some regions and even worse in others.

We have to focus on education or the best we can hope for is to become a retarded country stuck in the middle income bracket like Brazil.

@Deactivated Share your wisdom sxb.
Do you know what SK did to get there? They had US support in lots of sectors plus loans with low interest rates. The US wanted them to succeed so they helped push it along. Also Botswana has natural resources (diamonds) and has a 15% ownership of one of the biggest diamond manufacturing companies. Education and infrastructure costs money which we don’t have.

La Xawla

You forget to mention the authoritarian government.

This is something we'll need to prevent saboteurs and planted dissenters from interfering in our democracy.

The weak dictatorship we had in the past didn't have full control over the country and was too much of a coward to attempt to consolidate power.

Education means f*ck all when you don't have any order in the country.
Being a democracy as a weak country is tantamount to being ruled over foreigners. There’s bound to be foreign intelligence agencies that experience in this sort of espionage created chaos and gaming the system. Therefore, you’d have to fall in line with the imperial overlords or not even get a chance to become the leader. Forget trying to rebel when you are elected because all they have to do is engineer a coup or riots.

Do you know what SK did to get there? They had US support in lots of sectors plus loans with low interest rates. The US wanted them to succeed so they helped push it along. Also Botswana has natural resources (diamonds) and has a 15% ownership of one of the biggest diamond manufacturing companies. Education and infrastructure costs money which we don’t have.

The US was against their economic plans and they had to approach Deutsche Bank to provide them financing

La Xawla

The US was against their economic plans and they had to approach Deutsche Bank to provide them financing
Why would they be against them devoloping their economy? They wanted it to succeed to be a model for capitalism in regard to it’s communist counterpart.

Why would they be against them devoloping their economy? They wanted it to succeed to be a model for capitalism in regard to it’s communist counterpart.

I can only speculate that the US may have been sceptical of the plans due to the fact it was an authoritarian military regime. I am looking for sources behind the decision.

Last edited:

La Xawla

I can only speculate that the US may have been sceptical of the plans due to the fact it was an authoritarian military regime. I am looking for sources behind the decision.
I mean it’s not like they didn’t play a part in his assassination. Also, they have proved time and time again that they don’t care if a government is authoritarian or not, just as long as they align with their interests (like Siad Barre and other African dictators). I’d love to read some sources.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP

There was the risk that they could've gotten too successful.

I doubt the US wanted to risk S.Korea getting powerful enough to unify both countries by themselves since they needed an excuse to interfere in the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.