"The Salman Rushdie" of Somalis

Do you consider this bloke is an Apostate?

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • I don't know and don't care (I'm still in the closet)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • fok off Aussie

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
What an intelligent man!!! If only Somalis were led by people like him, we wouldn't be in this quagmire today. The irony is that this academic is a graduate of Umm Al-Qura University in Saudi Arabia and is advocating for a secular Somalia.

This Somali intellectual wrote a book called, “The Rule of Apostasy In Islam: Is it True?” and all the crazy Somali Salafi Sheikhs called him an apostate including one Sheikh who called the TFG of Abdulahi Yusuf an apostate regime and later visited his cousin Abdi Ileey in Ethiopia and praised his rule.

Book on apostasy in Islam earns writer the moniker ‘Somalia’s Salman Rushdie’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c3eda0-66b1-11e4-ab86-46000e1d0035_story.html

Read his arguments and do you consider him an apostate?

Salafism/wahabism is not real Islam. It is a sadistic childish and shallow interpretation of Islam.

@VantaBlack

The topic at hand isn't about Salafis, what do you think of the arguments of the gentleman that politics and religion are two different domains. One is created by "God" and the other is created by humans and they shouldn't be mixed. He continues to argue that secularism isn't anti religion but defends all sorts of religions to coexist.

@VantaBlack

The topic at hand isn't about Salafis, what do you think of the arguments of the gentleman that politics and religion are two different domains. One is created by "God" and the other is created by humans and they shouldn't be mixed. He continues to argue that secularism isn't anti religion but defends all sorts of religions to coexist.

I agree with him.

He makes 100% sense.

Automaton

The founder of Somali Civil Liberties Union(SCLU)
I remember when crazy Shiek Umal called him an apostate. I think we need more shieks like this guy.

Automaton

The founder of Somali Civil Liberties Union(SCLU)
Why? When did the Quran or Sunnah command us to become secular?

He is only advocating for separation of religion from government, not atheism or elimination of religion from the public discourse. What is wrong with that?

Last edited:
@Lum

This modern nation-state was created by people, the boundaries of the State were created by people and the rules that we call 'International Law' and in part of it (The Law of the Seas) that we seek justice for the adjudication of our territorial waters dispute with Kenya were written by people. The politics of the world is nowadays interconnected where a Muslim country seeks investments, support and friendships from others who are not Muslims. There are laws that specify conditions attached to these investments and friendships were written by people. It is all secular. Thereby, politics is man made and religion is "God" made and shouldn't mix. If they do, you will end up with the politics of Saudi Arabia, chopping off hands, limbs and necks of the less powerful people. Add that to treating women like secondhand citizens. Is that all?

Here is the written form of some of the interview.

Abdi Said: "The Islamic movements and the Islamist ideology prevalent today are fighting for the establishment of an Islamic state, and even more than that, for the return of the Islamic Caliphate. This is an idea that has been around for over 100 years. Since the fall of the Ottoman Caliphate until this day, it has been the goal into which Muslims have placed the most effort and have given…"

Interviewer: "Don’t you think that this is the result of a misconception of the Caliphate, or a misconception that stems from a misreading of the history of the Islamic world? After all the concept of the Caliphate was part of a political game."

Abdi Said: "That's right."

Interviewer: "The Ottomans played their game in order to justify a political rule in the name of the 'Caliphate.' Enough. They have killed us with this meaningless dream."

Abdi Said: "It is indeed meaningless. That’s the truth, but who understands it? We have a Somali saying: 'The lie is faster than the truth.' This issue appeared in the 1920s. But until this day it is the greatest issue for the Muslims, wherever they are. So, as I said, in Islam there isn't… Islam is a religion and not a state. Whoever says that Islam is a state…"

Interviewer: "They say Islam is a religion and state."

Abdi Said: "No, Islam is just a religion, like all the others."

Interviewer: "As for the state, it is a man-made matter."

Abdi Said: "That’s right. Does Islam specify a certain form of political regime? No."

Interviewer: "You say that secularism is supposed to be the solution."

Abdi Said: "Secularism is the solution, whether we like it or not.

"Many people think that secularism is harmful to religion and that it is against…"

Interviewer: "The Islamists have distorted the image of secularism."

Abdi Said: "That’s right. They have presented it as being against religion, and so on and so forth. But the truth of the matter is that secularism is useful to religion."

Interviewer: "In what way?"

Abdi Said: "Belief is a personal thing. But if there is a religious government that forces you to do this and not do that…"

Interviewer: "The secular state will grant you the right to practice your religion."

Abdi Said: "Yes, so that you can worship your god as you please, pray as you please, and practice your rituals according to your personal belief. This beauty of belief stems from this."

https://www.memri.org/tv/somali-author-abolish-notion-of-apostasy-secularism-solution/transcript

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Is it very odd to be an apostate and appear in a show speaking luqha Arabia & also not being fully muslim or not muslim at all? very odd i think.

Anyway, i did not watch the interview, just a few seconds. If he is advocating for separation of govt and religion, well i dont disagree with that, but also religion should not be dismissed. The problem is humans are a problem. not religion. Humans interpret religion according to their whims.

Honestly, i hope Islamic Shariah law does not rule any land, because human will mis-interpret it.

I have a problem with humans and their short comings not the religion itself.

The true religion of prophet muhammad pbuh was perfect and balanced.

Followed by Khalifah Umar ibn khataab who was legendary in his secular governing style. He literally wrote a written contract for Jews to be frree to worship, that document still exists today!

You can also argue secularism is an Islam invention. (minus the moral issue such as homosexuality of course--but tolerance is a major Islamic point of view)

Today fake muslims like Isis just want to wave their testicles up in the air

Last edited:
Is it very odd to be an apostate and appear in a show speaking luqha Arabia & also not being fully muslim or not muslim at all? very odd i think.

Anyway, i did not watch the interview, just a few seconds. If he is advocating for separation of govt and religion, well i dont disagree with that, but also religion should not be dismissed. The problem is humans are a problem. not religion. Humans interpret religion according to their whims.

Honestly, i hope Islamic Shariah law does not rule any land, because human will mis-interpret it.

Followed by Khalifah Uman ibn khataab who was legandary in his secular governing style. He literally wrote a written contract for Jews to be frree to worship, that document still exists today!

@Basra

An interesting take on the issue and you more or less made the same reasoning against sharia laws and for secularism as the professor.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

An interesting take on the issue and you more or less made the same reasoning against sharia laws and for secularism as the professor.

@AussieHustler

I am more than willing to accept the rule of Shariah law if it is followed in the custom of old Khalifahs like Umar Ibn Khatab,

Do we actually know the definition of Shariah law hoorta?

@AussieHustler

I am more than willing to accept the rule of Shariah law if it is followed in the custom of old Khalifahs like Umar Ibn Khatab,

Do we actually know the definition of Shariah law hoorta?

@Basra

I used to be a Salafi to know a bit not to like it. Most Muslims in the diaspora express sentimentality towards Sharia and don’t want to live under Sharia. While Muslims in Muslim countries don’t want at all. Look at what few hardcore Salafi sheikhs and their students are doing in Burco. They’ve established a parallel government and are forcing the businesses and the public to adhere to their version of Sharia. No one can resist them, otherwise, you will be labeled a “murtad”. That’s what the scholar above talks about in his book.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

I used to be a Salafi and know a bit not to like it. Most Muslims in the diaspora express sentimentality towards Sharia and don’t want to live under Sharia. While Muslims in Muslim countries don’t want at all. Look at what few hardcore Salafi sheikhs and their students are doing in Burco. They’ve established a parallel government and are forcing the businesses and the public to adhere to their version of Sharia. No one can resist them, otherwise, you will be labeled a “murtad”. That’s what the scholar above talks about in his book.

Again, goes back to human interpretations. Its really disastrous. These fake muslims are Fitnaahs.

But at the ups of it @AussieHustler at least Shariah law , horrible interpreted or not, can lead to some semblance of sanity when it comes to moral behaviors. Too much freedom is poison

Again, goes back to human interpretations. Its really disastrous. These fake muslims are Fitnaahs.

But at the ups of it @AussieHustler at least Shariah law , horrible interpreted or not, can lead to some semblance of sanity when it comes to moral behaviors. Too much freedom is poison

@Basra

There is never too much freedom, but whatever we have has it’s boundaries and comes with responsibilities. Here, we have three tiers of governments (Council, State and Federal) with bylaws and laws that regulates our behaviours and actions. Forced to believe into a religion isn’t one of them. Why can’t one criticise the King of Saudi Arabia? Their sharia laws bans it and an Islamic judge will sentence you. Is it God’s Laws or human laws? That’s what you will end up because the Indonesian Islamists opposition parties recently proposed introducing sharia laws to Indonesia including making a crime criticising the president. When young Indonesian Muslims who were in favour of the Laws heard the proposal, they turned against it.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra

There is never too much freedom, but whatever we have has it’s boundaries and comes with responsibilities. Here, we have three tiers of governments (Council, State and Federal) with bylaws and laws that regulates our behaviours and actions. Forced to believe into a religion isn’t one of them. Why can’t one criticise the King of Saudi Arabia? Their sharia laws bans it and an Islamic judge will sentence you. Is it God’s Laws or human laws? That’s what you will end up because the Indonesian Islamists opposition parties recently proposed introducing sharia laws to Indonesia including making a crime criticising the president. When young Indonesian Muslims who were in favour of the Laws heard the proposal, they turned against it.

Great points. That is why we are all here in the west. They have a good check balance govt that controls humanity. Humanity needs to be in check! I agree.

For me i was thinking of in a perfect world, i would have loved to live in a land where 100% are muslims. No moral issues, or problems. but thats asking for too much. where there is humans, there is problem

Followed by Khalifah Umar ibn khataab who was legendary in his secular governing style. He literally wrote a written contract for Jews to be frree to worship, that document still exists today!

You can also argue secularism is an Islam invention. (minus the moral issue such as homosexuality of course--but tolerance is a major Islamic point of view)

He is advocating for western secular society. Be religious all you want. But no rules in society should be ruled based on religion, but western secularism. There is a reason why a gaal like @AussieHustler is advocating for people like this. They have a clear agenda and their end goal is to end Islam for good. So dont be fooled by these peoples sweet words

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
He is advocating for western secular society. Be religious all you want. But no rules in society should be ruled based on religion, but western secularism. There is a reason why a gaal like @AussieHustler is advocating for people like this. They have a clear agenda and their end goal is to end Islam for good. So dont be fooled by these peoples sweet words

Will u want to live in a shariah law land? Then why are u living in secular west?

Trending