The Pathetic Sultanate of Ifat

Note this is coming from a critical lense

Firstly the Walashama Dynasty was installed by

Emperor Amlak establishing Walshama Dynasty sounds this sounds like Ethiopian revisionisim ๐Ÿค”
1000012086.jpgScreenshot_20230604_192643_Wikipedia.jpg

As we shall see the sultanate fluctuated from being a Vassal to being independent from the Emporers20230604_192927.jpg
The most notable conflict was during the reign of Amda Seyon after the Mamuluk persecution of the copts under rule of Haqq ad-Din 1
20230604_195455.jpg
Sabr ad-Din 11 comes along and attempts another insurrection with big ambitions
20230604_200522.jpg
but gets defeated 20230604_200632.jpg as you can see a pattern is forming ๐Ÿ˜• after Sabr ad-Dins arrest Amda seyon appoints appoints his brother Jamal ad-Din as king of all Muslim lands jamal promised to serve the Emperor and considered himself "Emporers slave"20230604_201307.jpg

moving on a time period we come to the rule of Haqq ad-dinn the 11(2nd) here we see internal rivals using their Christian liege against one another 20230604_202203.jpg

Summary of the state of Ifat
20230604_203025.jpg

Questions I need answered
Since the Walashama was established in shewa I failed to see how it was a Somali sultanate especially if the expansion was from Shewa to Zeila and not vice versa ? this would give credence to the Argobba claim
The Walashama also established Adal so I can see why it's imperative why Ifat was Somali ๐Ÿ˜‚

Source: The Ethiopian Borderlands: Richard Pankhurst
@Shimbiris @Garaad diinle

Last edited:
The Christian Abbysinan unity paralleled with the Muslim disunity and subservience whos leaders where picked and prone to interference by the christians continues from the era of Ifat till this day

20230604_162849.jpg
20230604_162900.jpg
20230604_162902.jpg

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

๎€š๎€ž๎€ข๎€œ๎€  ๎€ ๎€Ÿ๎€ก๎€๎€›
I already see a disingenuine intent behind this thread especially with the provocative title but i'll indulge and try to give my to cent on the matter.

Were the walashama somalis? I've already explained this a number of times in different threads, all from their genealogy, how they were grouped with adal or zeylac as opposed to the other kingdoms or how their capital changed later to somali populated area such as dakar and harar.

The islamic kingdoms in the shewan plateau hararghe etc predates the solomonic dynasty matter of fact ifat itself meaning the city of ifat was mentioned by ibn said which was before yekuno. If so who were the one who appointed the walashama? They were the shewan sultanate which were an ethio-semitic dynasty who claimed to be of qurayshi origin.

The walashama or originally wali asmac were most likely appointed governors of a province called asmac by shewa and they even intermarried into the ruling family of shewa. Eventually the shewan dynasty became corrupt and the walashama rebelled and attacked the capital of shewa twice. They even went all the way to the amhara region and raided them. The walashama proceeded to attack the other kingdoms and eventually became the rulers of the land.

The vassalage thing was nothing more than a small period. It lasted from the period of amda sion to newaya the son of amda. After this period starting with haqq a-din the history of the walashama turned into an islamic struggle against the barbaric habashi dynasty that columnated in futuh al-habasha.

I already see a disingenuine intent behind this thread especially with the provocative title but i'll indulge and try to give my to cent on the matter.

Were the walashama somalis? I've already explained this a number of times in different threads, all from their genealogy, how they were grouped with adal or zeylac as opposed to the other kingdoms or how their capital changed later to somali populated area such as dakar and harar.

The islamic kingdoms in the shewan plateau hararghe etc predates the solomonic dynasty matter of fact ifat itself meaning the city of ifat was mentioned by ibn said which was before yekuno. If so who were the one who appointed the walashama? They were the shewan sultanate which were an ethio-semitic dynasty who claimed to be of qurayshi origin.

The walashama or originally wali asmac were most likely appointed governors of a province called asmac by shewa and they even intermarried into the ruling family of shewa. Eventually the shewan dynasty became corrupt and the walashama rebelled and attacked the capital of shewa twice. They even went all the way to the amhara region and raided them. The walashama proceeded to attack the other kingdoms and eventually became the rulers of the land.

The vassalage thing was nothing more than a small period. It lasted from the period of amda sion to newaya the son of amda. After this period starting with haqq a-din the history of the walashama turned into an islamic struggle against the barbaric habashi dynasty that columnated in futuh al-habasha.
Will post more positive excerpts but had to get this out the way
was the province asmac Somali also did the Walshama expand from shewa to zeila or vice versa ?

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

Will post more positive excerpts but had to get this out the way
was the province asmac Somali also did the Walshama expand from shewa to zeila or vice versa ?
Nothing much is known about the province of asmac it has been mentioned by ba alawi who was a contemporary of nur ibn mujahid. I'd guess it wasn't somali and it most likely was in close proximity to shewa itself. There were other provinces such as gabar gey that we know next to nothing of.

Where did walashama expand from? Their capital was ifat on the western side of the awash east of shewa. According to ba alawi after they defeated the shewa sultanate they proceeded to attack other muslim dynasty all of whom predates the solomonic dynasty. This conquest was from eastern shewa.

dKSEbPE.png

Here is an exert from ba alawi text. It says that after the conquest of shewa.

"The attack on gidiya and the destruction of a hay in muharam in the year 686 hijri (1288 ad) and he raided or attacked mora (later on a close ally of ifat according to amda sion chronicles) and adal and it's leader was killed in 687 hijri (1289 ad) and in that year died hity tahant and the conquest of wali asma' of hobat and obliterated it in the month of dulqe'da".

What made the walashama unique was that they commanded unprecedented authority over large stretch of land and were recognized as the the only imams even if it was at times a symbolic recognition.

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

Did you know places likes Gidaya and Haragaya mentioned in these texts are also the names of Harari clans today?
Yeah i've heard of them. I think they've even participated in futuh. I don't know where their regions are located but i assume some of them settled harar at some point around the 16th century if not earlier. It's said that at the time of nur ibn mujahid hararis of different clans or ethnicity were told to burn their writing linages and were told to identify with the city rather than their respective clan or ethnicity.

Trending

Latest posts