The Nugaal River

It's possible and would be a game changer if it becomes a reality. This is where it ends. (keep in mind its not rain season rn)

IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG

I believe decent amount of water can be stored instead of going to waste into the indian ocean. More trees around the nugaal valley and sheikh area and we should have more rainfall, cloud seeding could also be an option like UAE is doing to get more rainfall.

I agree we can make this river permanent. With the technology and knowledge we possess today it would be much easier for us to replicate such modern methods of resurrecting a river. This could be a major source of life for the northern regions of somalia.

India has managed to make India greener, they and China worked hard to make wasteland into massive green oasis we should learn from them. India alone revived many dry rivers. I made this thread check it out https://www.somalispot.com/threads/the-world-is-becoming-a-greener-place-except.56999/#post-1553412

It's possible and would be a game changer if it becomes a reality. This is where it ends. (keep in mind its not rain season rn)

View attachment 66267View attachment 66268

I believe decent amount of water can be stored instead of going to waste into the indian ocean. More trees around the nugaal valley and sheikh area and we should have more rainfall, cloud seeding could also be an option like UAE is doing to get more rainfall.
We know it's possible if indian villagers can do it by petitioning Ngo's. The only question is when do somalis decide enough is enough and work together to try to make change with or without government assistance.

Ever since i saw that video of that old american man that bought 5500 acres of dry barren land and restored it i have had my own ambitions of someday buying my own land and trying to use the same methods.

images

We know it's possible if indian villagers can do it by petitioning Ngo's. The only question is when do somalis decide enough is enough and work together to try to make change with or without government assistance.

Ever since i saw that video of that old american man that bought 5500 acres of dry barren land and restored it i have had my own ambitions of someday buying my own land and trying to use the same methods.

images
Get ngo information and post it. We will try a bid and have them give us grants.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

View attachment 66267View attachment 66268

Yeah, planting trees near the dry river is one of the methods to rejuvenate the river. Also, we need to do heavy tree planting on the Sheikh mountain and Cal Madow forest because it'll increase water flow in the streams which will help pump the Nugaal river and resurrect it.

Last edited:
Yeah, planting trees near the dry river is one of the methods to rejuvenate the river. Also, we need to do heavy tree planting on the Sheikh mountain and Cal Madow forest because it'll increase water flow in the streams which will pump the Nugaal river and resurrect it.
Definitely! i was surprised that the cal madow mountain didn't have that many forests with tall healthy trees. Some regions of the mountains have thick forests but we need to diversify and make sure all the regions have enough trees to encourage more evapotranspiration.

We need government permission tho!

Over 90 % of the waters from the Juba and Shabelle river originate from Oromia and the SNNP region.

The water flow of the Juba river at Luuq is 186 cubic meters (186,000 litres) every second. It’s simply incomparable.
The shabeele river goes through Godey, in shabeele in galbeedka.

It even joins the ocean in gobwayn. Magnificent!

this is probably a farfetched idea but we can construct a canal that connects nugaal river to shabeele tributaries in oromia. That would give us two river sources instead of one. Sheikh mountains and ethiopian highlands. This will lead to nugaal river flowing permanently, like juba and shabeele rivers.

upload_2019-2-24_1-44-57.png

Great topic @Factz but as usual, it was hijacked by the mooryaans.

What distance does the Nugal river cover? Doesn’t it require both governments in Hargeisa and Garowe cooperating in such a scheme? It would’ve been a much needed project for people to produce their own food and not rely on hands outs from NGO’s during the droughts. There is also a huge correlation between peace and settled farmers because most clan wars start as frictions on grazing lands and watering holes. It’s like killing two birds with one stone.

Trending

Latest posts