The Name Farah Is Feminine--A Girl's Name

Since the name came to us via the Arabs (not via the English) meaning happiness and joy, it is a girl's name and like Abdi (slave), we didn't understood it and voluntarily chosen a feminine name for our men. It is also (rarely) used in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the United States and mostly given to girls. If you introduce yourself as Farah and strangers smile at you, they think that you are transitioning……..explain to them.

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-farah-9035.htm

Since the name came to us via the Arabs (not via the English) meaning happiness and joy, it is a girl's name and like Abdi (slave), we didn't understood it and voluntarily chosen a feminine name for our men. It is also (rarely) used in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the United States and mostly given to girls. If you introduce yourself as Farah and strangers smile at you, they think that you are transitioning……..explain to them.

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-farah-9035.htm
What do you mean for our men. War maa naag baad tahay.
Aussie just exposed herself

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
upload_2019-6-15_0-10-46.png

@Lolalola

Do you think Somali nomads would’ve picked a name for their boys that is OCCASIONALLY masculine? We didn’t understand the culture and the meaning of the name. Somalis love a warrior like names for their boys. Not happiness or chicks names.

Similar with the name Abdi. Will nomads call their kids slaves if they understood the meaning of the word? No. They would’ve never shortened it. I have seen a guy called Abdi America, the slave of America. We got both names wrong.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
@Lolalola

Do you think Somali nomads would’ve picked a name for their boys that is OCCASIONALLY masculine? We didn’t understand the culture and the meaning of the name. Somalis love a warrior like names for their boys. Not happiness or chicks names.

Who cares, lol? It's a unisex name so it shouldn't be a big deal.

How is happiness a "chick name" when Saeed is a very popular name amongst Muslims?

Who cares, lol? It's a unisex name so it shouldn't be a big deal.

How is happiness a "chick name" when Saeed is a very popular name amongst Muslims?

@Lolalola

Sxb, we aren’t discussing “Muslims” per se, but the name Farah is deeply linked to the Somali nomad. They wouldn’t use a unisex name if they knew the background to the name, Hell, some here are shocked and angry finding out that their grandfather left them a Farah unisex surname. Tell a nomad your name is a unisex name and see how they react.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Female version of Farax is Farxiya I believe

And Abdi is not slave, its just a shortened name of usual Abdi+1 of 99 names of Allah

That’s farax with 1 a not faarax. Same root word different pronunciation. We call our girls iman some cultures call their boys that. And on that subject you need to chill on the farax hate, even our top expert ashy abdi slayer @Knowles occasionally shows some mercy :ftw9nwa:

Never have I come across that name used by natives in the UK. That infamous American teen mom is only time I heard that name used for a girl tbh.

Wait till you come across South Asian muslims using popular girl names like Ayan and Ikram exclusively for boys.

That’s farax with 1 a not faarax. Same root word different pronunciation. We call our girls iman some cultures call their boys that. And on that subject you need to chill on the farax hate, even our top expert ashy abdi slayer @Knowles occasionally shows some mercy :ftw9nwa:

@SilverL ina Farah, sorry abaayo if family members have that sort of a name, I was only pointing the jahliya of our forefathers not knowing what the name stood for. Let’s admit it they made a bad call.

Right now, I’m in this place getting a relaxation massage & I couldn’t care about the emotions of the others as long as we could rectify the mistake. We are so proud of our ancestors ignorance. Countries moved from that sort of culture but we’ve this fake infatuation with them.

I’m starring at the little Buddha on the left.

@SilverL ina Farah, sorry abaayo if family members have that sort of a name, I was only pointing the jahliya of our forefathers not knowing what the name stood for. Let’s admit it they made a bad call.

Right now, I’m in this place getting a relaxation massage & I couldn’t care about the emotions of the others as long as we could rectify the mistake. We are so proud of our ancestors ignorance. Countries moved from that sort of culture but we’ve this fake infatuation with them.

I’m starring at the little Buddha on the left.
You’re looking waaaay too deep into it. It’s just a name, I fail to see the jahiliya, lol

You’re looking waaaay too deep into it. It’s just a name, I fail to see the jahiliya, lol

@SilverL

Names do have significance in one’s culture and when we identify a Somali male, we call them Farah just like we call females Halima, let’s admit to the mistake and change it. How about Abdi? A person calling himself a “Slave”? These are the jahliya I’m talking about and instead of sugar coating it, let’s face it and change it. Educate the public about those names.

@SilverL

Names do have significance in one’s culture and when we identify a Somali male, we call them Farah just like we call females Halima, let’s admit to the mistake and change it. How about Abdi? A person calling himself a “Slave”? These are the jahliya I’m talking about and instead of sugar coating it, let’s face it and change it. Educate the public about those names.
I’m not a fan of either name, but they’re ok. I think you just want to stir the pot
giphy.gif

I’m not a fan of either name, but their ok. I think you just want to stir the pot
giphy.gif

@SilverL

I’ve never backed down from the need to reform our culture because its laced with such frailties that couldn’t stand up to the scrutiny of our time. In doing so, I’ve been called many degrading names, but I relish all of them because it is very hard to change humans and especially when they view this change to be offensive to what they cherished for generations. I’m not here for a popularity contest, but to express my opinions without favour or fear and to bring to the table serious issues for discussions. How else could we break such barriers stopping us to reach our potential? Here we are arguing about an Arabic name intended for female Arabs and couldn’t admit that we got wrong! People do question and reevaluate their culture as all cultures are fluid and change to the times. Ours has been static for many decades because we were actively busy with clan issues and the slightest mention of its faults attracts anger and hostility. As I write this, guys are queuing in my DM, telling me that clan A, B, C mostly use that name. How sad!!!!

Trending