The Mother Theresa of Africa; Dr. Hawa Abdi Provides Healthcare for Millions in Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uncleruckus

When Hawa Abdi was just 12 years old her mother died due to complications associated with childbirth. Distraught and determined to understand why her mother had died, Hawa Abdi studied medicine and, in 1971, obtained a medical degree. The following year, in the wake of her grandmother’s death, Dr. Abdi learned that Somali laws prevented female relatives, even close ones, from inheriting land or other possessions. She promptly took up legal studies and, working as a physician during the day and studying law at night, obtained a law degree from Mogadishu’s Somali National University in 1979.

Hawa-abdi-dhaf-267x400.jpg

After working in Mogadishu for a number of years Dr. Abdi decided to purchase a farm outside of the city. She quickly realized that many rural women found it challenging to travel to Mogadishu and that they desired a medical facility closer to where they lived. To meet their needs, Dr. Abdi opened a small clinic on her farm in August 1983. Due to civil unrest, Dr. Abdi found her clinic overwhelmed with patients within five years. By 1991, she was providing healthcare to some 800 displaced families, representing over 4,000 people that were camping out in makeshift homes neighboring her clinic and a nearby Red Cross feeding station.

By 1992, most people with the means to flee Somalia had done so, but Dr. Hawa Abdi had not, because so many were relying on her for their healthcare. Families continued to move onto the land surrounding Dr. Abdi’s clinic such that, by 2006, there were some 50,000 people. In 2007 Dr. Abdi was named ‘Person of the Year’ by a US-based Somali news agency in recognition of her work.

http://www.konnectafrica.net/hawa-abdi/

nambarA - she has her own foundation/charity http://www.dhaf.org/ and I'm sure the medical NGO's in the region must give her supplies. She is also an author.
As you and everyone else knows, nothing is for free. What do foreign NGO's get in return? The Dr. facilitates or makes it easy for missionaries to evangelize Somalis? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

S

Shamis

I don't know if NGO's help her, I just assumed it for some reason. There is definitely no evangelising going on her camp. Read about her and her daughters and you'll just see an educated Somali Muslim family who strive to help people in desperate need.

I don't know if NGO's help her, I just assumed it for some reason. There is definitely no evangelising going on her camp. Read about her and her daughters and you'll just see an educated Somali Muslim family who strive to help people in desperate need.
But she helped "millions", and that can't happen without the aid of foreign NGO's.

S

Shamis

I hate to use Al Shabaab as a litmus test for anything Islamic but even they gave her a break and limped off when she kicked them out.

ppl want to tarnish successful ppls image. when i was reading her book i was told she took part in the civil war. thats defamation of her character. its not possible

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Dr hawa is a lovely human being.

This lady was never part of the civil war (she's part of a persecuted clan, how could she?) nor was she part of the kacaan either. She's only dedicated her life to providing medical care to the most vulnerable members of society without looking for praise or adulation.

S

Shamis

ppl want to tarnish successful ppls image. when i was reading her book i was told she took part in the civil war. thats defamation of her character. its not possible

What were the exact words? Maybe she was politically active at the time and was pro peace.

What were the exact words? Maybe she was politically active at the time and was pro peace.
according to her book she minded her own business helping ppl fleeing the war. these ppl defaming her told me she took part in persecuting and leading to the killing of certain groups

S

Shamis

according to her book she minded her own business helping ppl fleeing the war. these ppl defaming her told me she took part in persecuting and leading to the killing of certain groups

That's so fucking outrageous:mjcry:

U

uncleruckus

As you and everyone else knows, nothing is for free. What do foreign NGO's get in return? The Dr. facilitates or makes it easy for missionaries to evangelize Somalis? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.
If Al Shabaab had no problem with her, then I've no problem with her. Kudos to her.

So you are Alshabaab supporter ?
fry.PNG

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
@Shamis somalis tend to defame people doing good especially if they are from her tribe. We are a very ungrateful lot.

I know of someone who not only participated in the civil war but there is plenty of photographic and video evidence of them calling for massacre. But because they are from an important clan they get away with it. It's why we have so many shitty people in all levels of the government (including the land governments)

U

uncleruckus

She is not the only one any one who tries to do good in that place gets a huge back lash, i remember a guy who went to Badhaan in 98 place has no electricity what so ever, what did he do he got several enormous generators to bring light to the dark street's anyway's he installed a few generators fixed the light pols on the streets etc, and how do the people pay him back by sabotaging his work cutting all the lines that are connected to the light pols and he fixes it and they do it again like wtf bruh :draketf: he was like f*ck you lot, took all the generators to Bosasso and sold them of for 80k :coolphone:

S

Shamis

@Shamis somalis tend to defame people doing good especially if they are from her tribe. We are a very ungrateful lot.

I know of someone who not only participated in the civil war but there is plenty of photographic and video evidence of them calling for massacre. But because they are from an important clan they get away with it. It's why we have so many shitty people in all levels of the government (including the land governments)

I've never heard anything bad about her. Who are these people and why do they think they're so credible?

There are so many former warlords in the UK that a major TV channel made a documentary about it. We are steeped in shame.

You should keep the footage and expose that killer on line to make sure everyone knows what he used to do. If he tries to get into politics we should just flash flood his FB page and create Youtube videos with his full name so people searching him find out exactly what sort of person he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts