The most patriotic word is not even Somali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

If wars can be started with lies, so can peace.
I have yet to witness someone attribute a Somali word to any other Afroasiatic language than Arabic. There is clearly assumptions/bias at work here.

not sure if aqoon and duufaan r arabic.

- As for Dufaan it is arabic without a doubt. It is derived from the root Daa-fa and means to flood.

- As for Aqoon i always assumed it is derived from the arabic word Yaqiin which could roughly mean "certain or undoubted". Specially if you look at the somali conjugation of the word you'll have :

Waan aqaana
Waad taqaana
Weey taqaana
Wu yaqaana

This is very similar to arabic conjugation and not common in the somali language

Those words might exist in the Arabic language but that doesnt equate to them being exclusively Arabic or of Arabic orgin.

Half true. Arabic language has a rule: If a word has an arabic "3letter-root" it is 100 percent arabic. If they don't have this root they are foreign. Foreign arabic words are easy to tell for example :

Khiyaal - cucumber - persian word
Qisd - justice - probably greek word

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
I have yet to witness someone attribute a Somali word to any other Afroasiatic language than Arabic. There is clearly assumptions/bias at work here.
There is no bias at work this is just the truth. Many languages have loanwords don't feel ashamed

Mighty

There is no bias at work this is just the truth. Many languages have loanwords don't feel ashamed
I dont think anyone questions the fact languages are not static instead the bias driven tendency displayed by certian people, which is to attribute Somali words to Arabic despite them not having any lingustic knowledge. What's funny is you never hear them depositing Somali words to other Afro-asiatic languages.

We got people like @Lolalola claiming 25% of the Somali language is Arabic. Where did she got those statistics? I think we can all fathom why she would like it to be that way.

Last edited:

World

VIP
You dumbass what language family does Arabic belong too indo European :drakelaugh: walahi you Arab haters are whack just admit its Arabic like many other Arabic words :mjlol:
Arabic is not an Indo European language. It is Afro Asiatic just like Somali, Amharic and Hebrew.

CaliTedesse

VIP
Arabic is not an Indo European language. It is Afro Asiatic just like Somali, Amharic and Hebrew.
Indo-European languages are backwards when comes to grammar. Afro Asiatic languages are older and are how humans really spoke.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
@Mighty

1. I don't speak any other Afro-Asiatic language besides Somali and some Arabic so unfortunately I can't compare or contrast, but akhi our language has undeniably so many words from Arabic. I don't have any official statistics as there hasn't been any research done on Somali lingustics, but I can assume. If Spanish is 8% Arabic (705), then it's not difficult to conclude that Somali has at least that if not 2x or 3x more.

You brushing it off as a "coincidence" actually speaks anti-Arab bias on your end, but okay.

Mighty

Half true. Arabic language has a rule: If a word has an arabic "3letter-root" it is 100 percent arabic. If they don't have this root they are foreign. Foreign arabic words are easy to tell for example :

Khiyaal - cucumber - persian word
Qisd - justice - probably greek word
Thanks for the insights sxb. Can you show how the "3letter-root" rule applies to some of the words mentioned in the thread. I'm genuinely interested.:)

Mighty

@Mighty

1. I don't speak any other Afro-Asiatic language besides Somali and some Arabic so unfortunately I can't compare or contrast, but akhi our language has undeniably so many words from Arabic. I don't have any official statistics as there hasn't been any research done on Somali lingustics, but I can assume. If Spanish is 8% Arabic (705), then it's not difficult to conclude that Somali has at least that if not 2x or 3x more.

You brushing it off as a "coincidence" actually speaks anti-Arab bias on your end, but okay.
Never mentioned the word coincidence. I don't think it's clever to strawman me when everything I have stated is available in the thread. Btw your reasoning is flawed because Spanish and Arabic dont belong to the same Family-Language, thus the same logic doesn't apply.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
@Mighty

You precisely said:

"Those words might exist in the Arabic language but that doesnt equate to them being exclusively Arabic or of Arabic orgin."

A.k.a impying that it's merely a coincidence that the words coincide.

Mighty

No, it doesn't imply that at all. It simply means those words are not necessarily of Arabic orgin. implication and equivalence.

Now that you brought up coincidence, I do think there are cases coincidence can be effectively argued for. Warqaad is an example of that.

Last edited:

CaliTedesse

VIP
No, it doesn't imply that at all. It simply means those words are not necessarily of Arabic orgin. implication and equivalence.

Now that you brought up coincidence, I do think there are cases coincidence can be effectively argued for. Warqaad is an example of that.
It was suggested that Somali language exists for 1/5 out of Arabic loanwords.

Thanks for the insights sxb. Can you show how the "3letter-root" rule applies to some of the words mentioned in the thread. I'm genuinely interested.:)

I will explain this on some words of @Lolalola 's List :

1) Dawlad comes from the root "Daa-la". Every arabic root-verb has several meanings. One of the meanings of Daa-la is to change from one condition to another.

2) Kursi comes from the root "Ka-ra-sa". One of the meanings of this root is to found a building. Another meaning is to devote time for something.

3) Saxan comes from the root Sa-xa-na. Three of the meanings of this root are to kick/stump with the feets, to hit a child or to serve a guest something on a plate.

4) Kudharta comes from the root "kha-da-ra". One meaning of this root is to make something green.

5) Shah has no arabic root latter, hence it is not an arabic word. Arab/persians/turks used this loan word in their languages, but the root of the word is from china and refers, if i'm not wrong, to a certain plant. This word came through Arabs to Somalia like the words Baabuur (Ottman language), or Khiyaal (persian).

I gave you some examples and what you have to know is the meaning of the root and a word has always a connection, but is not always crystal clear at the beginning.The connection between The word Kudhaar (vegetables) and it's root "kha-da-ra(to make something green)" is very easy to detect. All vegetables comes from the flora which is almost green. On the other hand you don't see immediately the connection between the word Dawlad (government) and it's root "Daa-la" (to change from one state into another).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts