The Ezana Stone: the conquest of Kush

Status
Not open for further replies.
King-Ezana-ruled-the-Axumite-Kingdom-during-the-first-half-of-the-fourth-century-.-Photo-Credit-480x640.jpg

King Ezana ruled the Axumite Kingdom during the first half of the fourth century.

On the way up to the tombs of Kings Kaleb and Gebre Meskel, you’ll pass a small shack containing a remarkable find that three farmers stumbled upon in 1988: an Ethiopian version of the Rosetta Stone. The pillar, inscribed in Sabaean, Ge’ez and Greek, dates from between AD 330 and AD 350 and records the honorary titles and military victories of the king over his ‘enemies and rebels’.

Translation(unverified):

Through the might of the Lord of All I took the field against the Noba [Nubians] when the people of Noba revolted, when they boasted and "He will not cross over the Takkaze," said the Noba, when they did violence to the peoples Mangurto and Hasa and Barya, and the Black Noba waged war on the Red Noba and a second and a third time broke their oath and without consideration slew their neighbors and plundered our envoys and messengers whom I had sent to interrogate them, robbing them of their possessions and seizing their lances. When I sent again and they did not hear me, and reviled me, and made off, I took the field against them. And I armed myself with the power of the Lord of the Land and fought on the Takkaze at the ford of Kemalke. And thereupon they fled and stood not still, and I pursued the fugitives twenty-three days slaying them and capturing others and taking plunder from them, where I came; while prisoners and plunder were brought back by my own people who marched out; while I burnt their towns, those of masonry and those of straw, and seized their corn and their bronze and the dried meat and the images in their temples and destroyed the stocks of corn and cotton; and the enemy plunged into the river Seda, and many perished in the water, the number I know not, and as their vessels foundered a multitude of people, men and women were drowned. . .

And I arrived at the Kasu [Kush], slaying them and taking others prisoner at the junction of the rivers Seda and Takkaze. And on the day after my arrival I dispatched into the field the troop of Mahaza and the Damawa and Falha and Sera up the Seda against the towns of masonry and of straw; their towns of masonry are called >Alwa, Daro. And they slew and took prisoners and threw them into the water and they returned safe and sound, after they had terrified their enemies and had conquered through the power of the Lord of the Land. And I sent the troop Halen and the troop Laken and the troop Sabarat and Falha and Sera down the Seda against the towns of straw of the Noba and Negues; the towns of masonry of the Kasu which the Noba had taken were Tabito, Fertoti; and they arrived at the territory of the Red Noba, and my people returned safe and sound after they had taken prisoners and slain others and had seized their plunder through the power of the Lord of Heaven. And I erected a throne at the junction of the rivers Seda and Takkaze, opposite the town of masonry which is on this peninsula.

@Menelik III

Is is true that King Ezana was a Cushitic man? I also heard that he was one of the first Kings that seperate the races in Sudan accoediac to a racial hierarchy where Cushites were one group and Nilotes were one group.

Is there any truth to this?

@Menelik III

Is is true that King Ezana was a Cushitic man? I also heard that he was one of the first Kings that seperate the races in Sudan accoediac to a racial hierarchy where Cushites were one group and Nilotes were one group.

Is there any truth to this?
I noticed that he mentioned red and black Noba, which is interesting. It was most likely the different ethnic groups( Nilo Saharans and Cushitics).

King Ezana the Great was Habesha.

@Menelik III

Can you find that exact quote for me please.

The red and black Noba.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Oy7N_d6HoYIC&pg=PA119&lpg=PA119&dq=black+and+red+noba&source=bl&ots=0IBohQ-3nQ&sig=92PFci8DRqA5V2iceBSw3iY0JS4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMrt_Wu-zbAhVs0oMKHTWXA3gQ6AEwD3oECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=black and red noba&f=false

Go to where it starts off as "The Aksumite campaign..." half way through the page

Very interesting stuff here, the red and black Noba are a class system... this is identical to that of the afar who have red and white class/socioeconomic groups, where the red rule and the whites are the common people.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Oy7N_d6HoYIC&pg=PA119&lpg=PA119&dq=black+and+red+noba&source=bl&ots=0IBohQ-3nQ&sig=92PFci8DRqA5V2iceBSw3iY0JS4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMrt_Wu-zbAhVs0oMKHTWXA3gQ6AEwD3oECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=black and red noba&f=false

Go to where it starts off as "The Aksumite campaign..." half way through the page

Very interesting stuff here, the red and black Noba are a class system... this is identical to that of the afar who have red and white class/socioeconomic groups, where the red rule and the whites are the common people.

Did it have any racial correlation? I read somewhere that the red were Cushitic looking peoples and the black were Nilotes.

Did it have any racial correlation? I read somewhere that the red were Cushitic looking peoples and the black were Nilotes.
It does mention that as well, arguing the reds were the blemmies (beja) and the black (niolitc).
In habesha culture red and black signify race.

If you read further it mentions that Ezana relocated around 4400 bejas into northern Aksum. So It may have possibly been a rescue mission
:samwelcome:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
just found this @Menelik III so what youre saying is the habesha recued thier cushitic beja cousins or what by the looks of this stone the habesha differentiated on race the inhabitants of nubia at the time
the red bieng the nubians and the beja and the blakc the nilotic inhabitants who they viewd to be lower or less then the red kasu or cushitic population

if so this is a good historical source mentioning cushites and the habesha drwin a distinction between beja cushites who they viewd as their kin and black nilotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending