The Earliest Surviving Manuscript Known Written By A Somali From 1692

Interesting. Drop the source please.
Wardey Dir are not Dir as their History is known especially in the case of the Orma. The issue is these clans claiming multiple lineages as you have highlighted, just go on facebook and you will observe a number of Jiidos claiming to be 'Jiido Cali' for instance. Clans such as these ought to sort themselves out and identify with what they really are.
Fair enough, even Dabarre identify as both Maatay Maaqarre & Maatay Digil. Someone should study why that is, did they have a previous Samaale lineage? Or has the massive assimilation confused the original lineage? Those Facebook Jiidos could just be ignorant, seems D&M are less aware of their lineages (some of them might even be assimilated Jiidos lol)

You mention how Gurre did not fall for the oromo expansion were they not absorbed by oromo when akisho moved south to Bale so why are their subs non somali and are the wikipedia ones correct i checked Facebook its even worse im seeing Warra ... they might be posting akisho subs but that makes me wounder not all Akisho are in afran qallo like the ones in K5 so are they also oromised?why else would HA make them magan? why are their subs oromo if the ones in somali region are not part of Afran Qallo and still in the Dir fold
also if u know any journals on them or something on their history send them my way @anonimo

im shooting u with a lot of question kkk I'd appreciated your insight
Gurre History in the Bale area is relatively known, they do not speak a separate Language at all. Look up their subclans and you will see what I mean regarding an Akisho connection.

Interesting. Drop the source please.

Wardey Dir are not Dir as their History is known especially in the case of the Orma. The issue is these clans claiming multiple lineages as you have highlighted, just go on facebook and you will observe a number of Jiidos claiming to be 'Jiido Cali' for instance. Clans such as these ought to sort themselves out and identify with what they really are.

Attachments

• 20230201_051012.jpg
    20230201_051012.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 95
Migrated south? Isn't it the Arsi who pushed into their lands during the Oromo migration? Also, does the Gurre speak an Af-Digil dialect similar to Reer Maqarre (Dabarre, Iroole & Gariire)? I suspect their "Dir origins" due to their cultural & possible linguistic affinity with Digil
No around 200 years ago we let Gurre,karanle and ajuran live in southern bale with us The Gurre were expelled by Akisho in Fafaan and Ajuran came from southern Somalia and karanle came from imey or babile we granted them lands for grazing purposes only but they fought and took our land like guradhamole and qarsadula

You mention how Gurre did not fall for the oromo expansion were they not absorbed by oromo when akisho moved south to Bale so why are their subs non somali and are the wikipedia ones correct i checked Facebook its even worse im seeing Warra ... they might be posting akisho subs but that makes me wounder not all Akisho are in afran qallo like the ones in K5 so are they also oromised?why else would HA make them magan? why are their subs oromo if the ones in somali region are not part of Afran Qallo and still in the Dir fold
also if u know any journals on them or something on their history send them my way @anonimo

im shooting u with a lot of question kkk I'd appreciated your insight
Every Somali clan that got assimilated by Oromo still have their Somali names in their clans Gurre and Akishe always had oromo names even the karanle and the ajuran still have their Somali names and they live in bale

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
This manuscript was acquired by colonial powers in southern somalia and there is another manuscript acquired by the colonial powers in northern somali. The gadabursi chronicles which was writing around 1826 ad also have a samaale geneology that goes further into weird names such as loxan.
Do u know where I could find the gadabursi chronicles?

Garaad diinle

 
Do u know where I could find the gadabursi chronicles?
The original arabic manuscript about the gadabursi chronicles is nowhere to be found. The one I'm referring to is a copy writing in af somali by a gadabuursi scholar named Sheikh cabdiraxmaan sheikh nuur, the same one who came up with the borama script. He probably had a copy of the arabic version. The name of the book is Ilbaxnimadii Adal Iyo Sooyaalkii Soomaaliyeed.

You probably asking this for the abtirsi if I'm not mistaken. If so i had a quick look at the pdf and here is the genealogy of sheikh samaroon.

M2dfOX8.png

It says dir bin irir bin aji bin soomaal or samaale bin waarid bin lugaam or looxan ibn dalmar ibn kamal ibn kooshni.

Now compare this with oromised garre who live all the way in the south in borana region.

One more thing the book covers many things other than gadabursi and there is no mention of date of the chronicle. I thought it said around the 1812-1850 but on a second look there is nothing about the date.

The original arabic manuscript about the gadabursi chronicles is nowhere to be found. The one I'm referring to is a copy writing in af somali by a gadabuursi scholar named Sheikh cabdiraxmaan sheikh nuur, the same one who came up with the borama script. He probably had a copy of the arabic version. The name of the book is Ilbaxnimadii Adal Iyo Sooyaalkii Soomaaliyeed.

You probably asking this for the abtirsi if I'm not mistaken. If so i had a quick look at the pdf and here is the genealogy of sheikh samaroon.

M2dfOX8.png

It says dir bin irir bin aji bin soomaal or samaale bin waarid bin lugaam or looxan ibn dalmar ibn kamal ibn kooshni.

Now compare this with oromised garre who live all the way in the south in borana region.

One more thing the book covers many things other than gadabursi and there is no mention of date of the chronicle. I thought it said around the 1812-1850 but on a second look there is nothing about the date.
Interesting so irir and darood both go back to aqeel bin abi talib?

Garaad diinle

 
Interesting so irir and darood both go back to aqeel bin abi talib?
Technically all somalis with no exception use to trace linage to bani hashim one way or another. In one story i read it said that sheikh samaale named sheikh cusmaan is from madina and sheikh darood is from mecca. Italian account said that sheikh samaale is from yemen. The ones who trace lineage to aqil are irir and darood as you pointed out. Here is an elder who talks about it.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Should've made a thread on this ages ago and inshallah I'll do a blog post and maybe a YouTube video on it someday but here we are:

Migration, Digitization, and Preservation - A Case Study of a Somali Manuscript

M0VByB3.jpg

The oday who wrote that was of the Leelkase and this is his descendant. There will probably be even older ones once more families like this come forward with the manuscripts they're holding and private collectors return or reveal what looters in places like Xamar sold them during the civil war as there were supposedly hundreds of manuscripts stored in the city before the looting that were lost like what this guy mentions in the comments:

When people like Revoil were in Xamar they note that a lot of the "oral traditions" and tribal genealogies are actually written down and several of the people who tell them about these traditions would routinely stop to consult manuscripts:

It will be very interesting, god-willing, if and when we recover many of these historic manuscripts now lost. If anything I hope this thread inspires some of you to go looking for such and share them with us as this fine young man did. It seems legit and verified. He even got it checked at a University. His family were basically wadaado/qadis. There were lots of these in the coastal towns across Somaliweyn and even some of the tuulo. They kept records, wrote treatises on the Qur'an and Xadiths, sent letters for elites and so on. If you look up the wiki page on Xeer you'll notice they're mentioned. Wadaads generally wandered the whole country during the early modern era and probably the middle ages as well. And they all seemed to have been literate.
Is this written in Arabic or just Somali in the adapted arabic script (Far wadaad)

M2dfOX8.png

Wrong lineage. Historical books agree that Ahmed didnt leave any children ..

And let's not forget that Ahmad only exists in Shia books

Garaad diinle

 
Most of these sheikhs were sufis therefore you'd find a lot of bid'a in their writings.

Wrong lineage. Historical books agree that Ahmed didnt leave any children ..

And let's not forget that Ahmad only exists in Shia books
Honestly a lot of ahl al-bayt or hashimi/qurayshi lineages isn't very accurate in somaliweyn.

Most of these sheikhs were sufis therefore you'd find a lot of bid'a in their writings.

Honestly a lot of ahl al-bayt or hashimi/qurayshi lineages isn't very accurate in somaliweyn.
A friend of mine told me that garaad diinli is the best person you can ask about history of Somalia. I opened this account just to ask you about your opinion about whether Somali tribes were formed before or after Islam .. And Ist true that dir appears on Ptolemy's map?

A friend of mine told me that garaad diinli is the best person you can ask about history of Somalia. I opened this account just to ask you about your opinion about whether Somali tribes were formed before or after Islam .. And Ist true that dir appears on Ptolemy's map?
Most clans are 900 years old on Yfull age estimates while Dir is 1600 but estimates can be off by a century or two. Most likely beginning of Islam in the 8th century in Zeila-Hararghe is when tribes like Dir where formed making them one of the oldest. Hawiye is under tested. Not enough samples but we do have two Karanle sub sub sub tribes that are 1200 each and have potential to reach 1600 or more if more older branches get tested.

Trending

Latest posts