The "Black" label

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20181020-024249.jpg

Kratos

Sonder
It depends on the type of Somali. Unlike Tamils, many Somalis have big lips and can grow an afro, 2 features very commonly associated with sub-saharan Africans. Some Somalis may be mistaken for some other type of African but a Tamil would never be mistaken for an African (maybe from behind and if you can't see their hair)

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
It depends on the type of Somali. Unlike Tamils, many Somalis have big lips and can grow an afro, 2 features very commonly associated with sub-saharan Africans. Some Somalis may be mistaken for some other type of African but a Tamil would never be mistaken for an African (maybe from behind and if you can't see their hair)

Andamese *cough, cough*. Most Indians today are Andamese-like with a heavy amount of Indo-Iranian-like admixture from thousands of years ago. :yacadiim: They are both Asian and distal from Africans. However, they look nothing alike. One looks like an negrito/pgymyish and the other Persianish. As for Indians their features vary from bulblous to thin. Only thing that sets them apart is hair (even when Somali hair is wavy or straight it's not dense and Somali facial form is totally different from my view). Please find me an Indian with a spherical forehead too, it just doesn't happen. Also, not All Somalis have full lips. Similarly, many Indians have that trait too. There is generally more ingroup variability than there are between groups.

Kratos

Sonder
Andamese *cough, cough*. Most Indians today are Andamese-like with a heavy amount of Indo-Iranian-like admixture from thousands of years ago. :yacadiim: They are both Asian and distal from Africans. However, they look nothing alike. One looks like an negrito/pgymyish and the other Persianish. As for Indians their features vary from bulblous to thin. Only thing that sets them apart is hair (even when Somali hair is wavy or straight it's not dense and Somali facial form is totally different from my view). Please find me an Indian with a spherical forehead too, it just doesn't happen. Also, not All Somalis have full lips. Similarly, many Indians have that trait too. There is generally more ingroup variability than there are between groups.

I googled Andamanese and from the pictures I saw they are Madow in my book. Also I didn't say Indians since thats too broad, I was specifically talking about Tamils. Not all somalis have big lips but many do, and many somalis have fros. Never seen a Tamil with a fro. Thats why I said it depends on the type of Somali. If you're a Somali with big lips, dark skin and a fro people will immediately think you're Sub-saharan African

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I googled Andamanese and from the pictures I saw they are Madow in my book. Also I didn't say Indians since thats too broad, I was specifically talking about Tamils. Not all somalis have big lips but many do, and many somalis have fros. Never seen a Tamil with a fro. Thats why I said it depends on the type of Somali. If you're a Somali with big lips, dark skin and a fro people will immediately think you're Sub-saharan African

Tamils are pretty much Southern Indian, with even more Andamese-like admixture than Indians, so its the same ish. :zhqjlmx: I personally, don't see any similarity between them and us. No one said Somalis weren't SSA (just not from the Niger-Congo region). We said, they don't self-identify as madow and have more of a connection with their ethnic label. Put a full lipped Somali with a fro beside an Igbo Nigerian, A Fang from Gabon and a Xhosa from South Africa and the difference is noticeable. However, we won't notice many differences between these three groups from different parts of the continent. If they don't look ethnic Somali or proximate to Somali its quite obvious. :icon lol:

Kratos

Sonder
Tamils are pretty much Southern Indian, with even more Andamese-like admixture than Indians, so its the same ish. :zhqjlmx: I personally, don't see any similarity between them and us. No one said Somalis weren't SSA (just not from the Niger-Congo region). We said, they don't self-identify as madow and have more of a connection with their ethnic label. Put a full lipped Somali with a fro aside an Igbo Nigerian, A Fang from Gabon and a Xhosa from South Africa and the difference is noticeable. However, we won't notice many differences between these three groups from different parts of the continent. If they don't look ethnic Somali or proximate to Somali its quite obvious. :icon lol:

I agree with you sxb, we're a different race (biologically), but socially most people consider us black except for some black people ironically. The only people that have ever told me I'm mixed or that Somalis were "different" were other africans.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I agree with you sxb, we're a different race (biologically), but socially most people consider us black except for some black people ironically. The only people that have ever told me I'm mixed or that Somalis were "different" were other africans.

Its quite random. Blackness is context specific and depends on who you talk to. Even non-black ajnabis spew that stuff about 'you're not really black.' And if you haven't noticed its a popular google search term that comes up about us. :siilaanyolaugh:These randoms are inadvertently saying you're features on that skin is a paradox. You don't have a prominent nose. So you don't look semetic. You don't look Afro-Arab nor like SSA mixed groups. You don't look like most Africans who live south of the Sahara. Certainly don't have Euro skin. Nor bone straight hair like Asians. :farole: Pretty much an Alien. Its best to accept it. An alien with a hue, long face, variable textured hair and a beanpole neck. But stunning nonetheless.

Apollo

VIP
Who gives a f*ck anymore.

Some consider Somalis black (just a lazy way of saying dark-skinned African).

While others consider Somalis their own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending