The Battle for Ogaden: Soviet Union/Cuba/Ethiopia/ Yemen vs Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antonio,
MNG's narrative makes sense. I have no reason to doubt it.

Everything hinged on the refusal to accept the Russian offer. Given that the Russians started the war for their own purposes and then switched sides as their interests changed, says a lot about the Cold War, and the playing of client states.......

Things could have been very different.

Mohamed Nur Galal says Somalia suffered a political defeat not a military one. He says Somalia was not defeated by Cuba and Soviet Union.

I do not agree with Galal, everybody knows Somalia was defeated by Cuba and Soviet Union.

Somalia was not defeated by Ethiopia. Somalia was "put in it's place" by international players, because of the Cold War. To that extent, the defeat was political. But it was a defeat on all fronts, thereafter clad in treaties.

Sadly, it is clear now that a little accommodation to the Russians would have gone a long way. I think MNG makes some very good points.

I still see Barre's refusal to halt the invasion of the highlands as the bit of hubris that ended the hopes for Somaliweyn. It is the pivot in modern Somali history.

Somalia was not defeated by Ethiopia. Somalia was "put in it's place" by international players, because of the Cold War. To that extent, the defeat was political. But it was a defeat on all fronts, thereafter clad in treaties.

Somalia was defeated by Soviet Union and Cuba, nobody can denies that. Ogaden was a military defeat for Barre.

Check out this video:

Nabeel786

Southie pride
Ogaden war was stupid act, we shouldn't go for fighting, we would have waited and give time.
BTW, I've lost my beloved uncle Ismael in that war on 1977. Allah yaa rahmo.

Somalia was defeated by Soviet Union and Cuba, nobody can denies that. Ogaden was a military defeat for Barre.

Check out this video:

But we know from Galal that it was the Russians who started the war and that the Somalis had already defeated the Ethiopians by the time they switched sides. The video gets this very wrong.

Grant:

But we know from Galal that it was the Russians who started the war and that the Somalis had already defeated the Ethiopians by the time they switched sides. The video gets this very wrong.

But Somali Army was defeated in Jijiga and Harer by Cuban troops and Soviet advisers.

L
This war was unforgettable for all the armies which were there. Somalia vs the communist world. The best somali chance to create Greater Somalia. The war that began with many somali victories on the battlefield ended in a total political and military disaster for somali people. Somalia would never be the same after this war, the hopes of this great nation were shattered by the Soviet Empire. When the war began in 1977, everybody was happy and hopeful, one year later, the greater somalia dream had turned in a nightmare.

The Ogaden War & the Shifta War (NFD KENYA) destroyed the Somali peoples lives, but the Siad Barre regime paved us with more than a loss. In the future when a Somali leader decides to take back the Ogaden, NFD, Djibouti then we would look at why and how the old government failed. SIMPLE, so the war did kind of destroy Somalia but the habashi/ethiopians will get their lesson with a mighty Somali army INSHALLAH.

This war was unforgettable for all the armies which were there. Somalia vs the communist world. The best somali chance to create Greater Somalia. The war that began with many somali victories on the battlefield ended in a total political and military disaster for somali people. Somalia would never be the same after this war, the hopes of this great nation were shattered by the Soviet Empire. When the war began in 1977, everybody was happy and hopeful, one year later, the greater somalia dream had turned in a nightmare.

I believe the Ogaden War and Shifta War paved a way for the future Somali generations. we can learn form these wars and the reason why Somalia lost. Many kings/sultanates in the 13,14,15 century where at similar war with Ethiopia and sometimes won or lost. I believe even though these wars destroyed Somalia we can learn from this and in the future INSHALLAH we will resume the wars and make them habesh and Kenyans BEG FOR MERCY.

SOMALIA WILL BE THE 10th BIGGEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD / AND WE WILL BE AN OIL SUPERPOWER

INSHALLAH

Greater somalia.jpg gretaer somalia 2.jpg

Hi Grant

Thanks for the article, especially the last one

Could you tell me what the somali colonel is trying to say here?

In 1977, Somalia was involved in an all out war with Ethiopia over the Ogaden region, and the Somali conquest of the Ogaden would undoubtedly have been successful except for foreign, particularly Russian, intervention

Cuban troops from different places, but mainly from Angola, South Yemeni troops, Libyans, and East Germans were in preparation for conducting the final and fatal blow to Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending