The 8 original Somali provinces

1707237896761.jpeg

I found this online what do you guys think should these provinces have been left as is ?

I think it’s better when the leaders are closer to the people they govern. Garowe is more in tune with what the local people need, Xamar imo is too far away
I support federalism especially when it comes to local develoment this is more of a discussion about whether the 18 current provinces we have now are viable currently

Last edited:
Federalism has its benefits especially when it comes to local develoment this is more of a discussion about whether the 18 current regions we have now are viable
Yea but with Puntland the borders make more sense. My family in Sanaag have history with Bosaso. It’ll make more sense to build on those historic connections. Those borders are more natural imo

Federalism has its benefits especially when it comes to local develoment this is more of a discussion about whether the 18 current provinces we have now are viable currently
Yea my first answer was kind of irrelevant since this wasn’t about federalism vs centralism. My 2nd answer was more relevant

Which option would you prefer?

I will agree that places with shared history of economic and social connections should be united
Also I think the gobols would be too weak since our populations isn’t that large so there would always be a threat that some MSB like person could take over. FMS are strong enough to resist another dictatorship

Also I think the gobols would be too weak since our populations isn’t that large so there would always be a threat that some MSB like person could take over. FMS are strong enough to resist another dictatorship
Majority of FMS are strong enough to resist centralization but even then every FMS has their own dynamics on the ground which could be exploited by any leader Somali politics is a slippery slope

Majority of FMS are strong enough to resist centralization but even then every FMS has their own dynamics on the ground which could be exploited by any leader
That’s true, tbh I don’t think we’ll know what the true Somali government will look like until Al Shabaab is gone, and we have a final deal with SL that everyone agrees on. Until then, any government we have is just temporary and is subject to change imo. A lot of the alliances we see could change once there’s no al Shabaab and a deal with SL is reached