Surveillance Capitalism documentary has me shook

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
I always wondered how does Facebook and Google etc become billionaire companies if their products are free to use. They sell all our data to third party companies. Watch the documentary if you have 50 mins to spare Wallahi it blew my mind :guccishock:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I always wondered how does Facebook and Google etc become billionaire companies if their products are free to use. They sell all our data to third party companies. Watch the documentary if you have 50 mins to spare Wallahi it blew my mind :guccishock:
I'm shocked that you are shocked by this fact

The Somali Caesar

VIP
I'm shocked that you are shocked by this fact
I always kinda knew that some data would be a trade off for a free app. What I naively didn’t know was the extent of the data collected. For example mentioned in the video:

Nest Cam a Google owned surveillance camera for homes has a hidden microphone that can pick whatever you say without you even knowing about it. Or what you’re listening to on your TV etc.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I always kinda knew that some data would be a trade off for a free app. What I naively didn’t know was the extent of the data collected. For example mentioned in the video:

Nest Cam a Google owned surveillance camera for homes has a hidden microphone that can pick whatever you say without you even knowing about it. Or what you’re listening to on your TV etc.
Yes and more!! Alexa and Google were listening to costumers conversation with activating them, basically hidden spies.
These privacy issues and data collections aren't limited to giant companies. There is short podcast called "how to destroy surveillance Capitalism" divided into short parts, you can listen to them on Google podcasts.

The Somali Caesar

VIP
Yes and more!! Alexa and Google were listening to costumers conversation with activating them, basically hidden spies.
These privacy issues and data collections aren't limited to giant companies. There is short podcast called "how to destroy surveillance Capitalism" divided into short parts, you can listen to them on Google podcasts.
They probably have hidden shit on our smart TVs, smartphones,cars like Tesla (which I drive unfortunately). We’re basically like their lab rats. I can’t lie I metaphorically shit myself :snoop: