South cushitic

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Ancient Somalis. They also used to be around Central Kenya and Turkana. Yeah I know about the coastal traders. Someone once told me Mombasa was Somali. Have you heard about Rhapta? The ancient city in Dar es salaam written about by Greek traders. It was also Cushites
I am familiar with Rhapta and the Azanians. Is this knowledge passed in through oral knowledge? Do they acknowledge their Somali ancestry?

Yes we name clans based on their origin. One of my cousin is from that clan. They do consider themselves Somali. Some are also in Maasai.
Thanks man, this is all very interesting.

I already knew ancient Somali clans are found in the following Horn African groups:

Oromo
Afar
Rendille and Elmolo
Bajun
Saho.

I am sure there might be some lost Somali wayfarers in Amhara and Tigray.

I have seen a video of Masai and Samburu claiming that they are have some kind of maternal Somali ancestry. Do you know the names of the Masai who claim Somali heritage? Do the Himba have Somali ancestry?

I believe ancient Somaloid clans settled in East and Central Kenya and possibly further beyond. Some Nilotic, Masai and other Nilotes are said to have ancient Somaloid loan words (like some of the Masai numerals and I believe some words in the Nandi). Since these words are not found in neighbouring South Cushites, some linguistics have proposed that they can only have come from extinct or assimilated Somali groups, who once settled deep into Ethiopia and modern Kenya.

Thanks man, this is all very interesting.

I already knew ancient Somali clans are found in the following Horn African groups:

Oromo
Afar
Rendille and Elmolo
Bajun
Saho.

I am sure there might be some lost Somali wayfarers in Amhara and Tigray.

I have seen a video of Masai and Samburu claiming that they are have some kind of maternal Somali ancestry. Do you know the names of the Masai who claim Somali heritage? Do the Himba have Somali ancestry?

I believe ancient Somaloid clans settled in East and Central Kenya and possibly further beyond. Some Nilotic, Masai and other Nilotes are said to have ancient Somaloid loan words (like some of the Masai numerals and I believe some words in the Nandi). Since these words are not found in neighbouring South Cushites, some linguistics have proposed that they can only have come from extinct or assimilated Somali groups, who once settled deep into Ethiopia and modern Kenya.

I once asked my grandfather who hasn't gone through European education system about all this. He told me all pastoralists came from the same ancestors.

Yes yes I know there are somali words in our language like "Boqol". But I don't understand kalenjin that much.
I thought Rendille was once Somali?

Southern Africa was once full of Cushitic herders and Khoisan. There was 1500yr Khoisan individual in South Africa tested and found to be half cushite.
There are also Ndebele of Zimbabwe who acquired circumcision practice from them.

I once asked my grandfather who hasn't gone through European education system about all this. He told me all pastoralists came from the same ancestors.

Yes yes I know there are somali words in our language like "Boqol". But I don't understand kalenjin that much.
I thought Rendille was once Somali?

Southern Africa was once full of Cushitic herders and Khoisan. There was 1500yr Khoisan individual in South Africa tested and found to be half cushite.
There are also Ndebele of Zimbabwe who acquired circumcision practice from them.
There are similar Somali loanwords in Masai. As I stated before,some linguistics hypothesis these words were loaned during contact with ancient proto-Somali speakers due to the absence of those in South Cushitic and Oromo.

Rendille were proto-Somalis and were also joined by Somali clans.They are now mixed with Samburu. The only confusion with Rendille is whether they are ancient proto-Somalis who were isolated from Islamic influence or they were partially Islamised Somalis who lost their Islam by settling with Nilotes etc. Some of their own folklore suggests the latter theory.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
No Ancient Somalis. They also used to be around Central Kenya and Turkana. Yeah I know about the coastal traders. Someone once told me Mombasa was Somali. Have you heard about Rhapta? The ancient city in Dar es salaam written about by Greek traders. It was also Cushites

Repta was the capital city of the ancient Azanian civilization located in southeast Africa. Azanians are believed to have ruled the Swahili coast and the interior: Great Rift Valley during the antiquity period.

According to most authentic sources, the southern Cushitic people ancestors were the Azanians.

Last edited:
There are similar Somali loanwords in Masai. As I stated before,some linguistics hypothesis these words were loaned during contact with ancient proto-Somali speakers due to the absence of those in South Cushitic and Oromo.

Rendille were proto-Somalis and were also joined by Somali clans.They are now mixed with Samburu. The only confusion with Rendille is whether they are ancient proto-Somalis who were isolated from Islamic influence or they were partially Islamised Somalis who lost their Islam by settling with Nilotes etc. Some of their own folklore suggests the latter theory.

OOH now I get it. But I also found we share names with Rendille despite being far from them. I'm familiar with the somali loanwords in Maasai too.

Repta was the capital city of the ancient Azanian civilization located in southeast Africa. Azanians are believed to have ruled the Swahili coast and the interior: Great Rift Valley during the antiquity period.

According to most authentic sources, the southern Cushitic people ancestors were the Azanians.

Those were the good days. Azania will be restored. More Cushitic people are getting conscious about their identity.

I reckon this man could pass as pure Somali.
I will have to caption this video for them.

Some Iraqw elders learning to read and write.

Mr. Yohannes Amnaay attends an event to share his contentions. He looks similar to my grandfather, very strong facial structure.
0:28

I reckon this man could pass as pure Somali.
I will have to caption this video for them.

Some Iraqw elders learning to read and write.

Mr. Yohannes Amnaay attends an event to share his contentions. He looks similar to my grandfather, very strong facial structure.
0:28

Teach us some words in your language. I thought you niccas were dead. We need to document this shit. How do you say these words for example:

Sun

Moon

Cat

Dog

Sea

Rain

Star

Tree

House

Door

Bread

Numbers 1 to 10

Teach us some words in your language. I thought you niccas were dead. We need to document this shit. How do you say these words for example:

Sun

Moon

Cat

Dog

Sea

Rain

Star

Tree

House

Door

Bread

Numbers 1 to 10

I am curious to know if we have any similar words or phrases to Somalis. Iraqw, Gorowa have quite a few borrowed terms from Nilotic Maa, Barabaig and Bantu Kiswahili. I had done this with my friend here @Pirate , but it was so different sounding from what I remember.

Sun - laanta or for when in reference to our primary god it is looaa
Moon - slahhaangw
Cat - nyaaqu
Dog - taweer for wild and seeaay for domesticated ones
Sea - tlabeemo is for any large body of water like a lake, but we never lived near any ocean, so we also use bahaari
Rain - depends on type baafay drizzling , tluwaay general
Star - tsatsee
Tree - xaano
House - doo
Door - piindoo
Bread - mikaate, obvious loan word from Swahili mkate
1 - waak
2 - tsaar
3 - taam
4 - tsiyahh
5 - kooan
6 - lahhoo
7 - faanqw
8 - dakaat
9 - gwaleel
10 - mibangw

Some Datooga
862-03355179em-a-datoga-young-man-spear-in.jpg

tanzania-serengeti-plateau-lake-eyasi-datoga-tribe-woman-with-scarifications-F335W7.jpg

TA-HA-Barabaig-020_large.jpg
a486dde21d645cd27d27aa321627d66a.jpg

Last edited:
I am curious to know if we have any similar words or phrases to Somalis. Iraqw, Gorowa have quite a few borrowed terms from Nilotic Maa, Barabaig and Bantu Kiswahili. I had done this with my friend here @Pirate , but it was so different sounding from what I remember.

Moon - slahhaangw
Cat - nyaaqu
Sea - tlabeemo is for any large body of water like a lake, but we never lived near any ocean, so we also use bahaari
Star - tsatsee
Tree - xaano
House - doo
Door - piindoo
1 - waak
2 - tsaar
3 - taam
4 - tsiyahh
5 - kooan
6 - lahhoo
7 - faanqw
8 - dakaat
9 - gwaleel
10 - mibangw

Wow, it's very different from Somali. The only word I recognised is your word domesticated dog which sounds like the Somali word for dog which is 'Ey'.

Moon - slahhaangw
Cat - nyaaqu
Star - tsatsee
Tree - xaano
House - doo
Door - piindoo
1 - waak
2 - tsaar
3 - taam
4 - tsiyahh
5 - kooan
6 - lahhoo
7 - faanqw
8 - dakaat
9 - gwaleel
10 - mibangw

It sounds like some Bantu/Swahili is mixed in with your language? For example your word for cat sounds “swahilish” with the double consonant at the beginning. Sounds kinda like the southern Somali word for cat “yaanyuur”. Nvm just noticed u said u had some Swahili loan words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts