SOOMAALI and OROMOO SAME SAME

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Curious how Af maay and the hypothetical languages/dialects of Af garre, Jiddu and Tunni relate to Afaan oromo. Are some closer to it or further away from it is the question.

Somali itself should be a language group( lets called somaloid) with Af maxaa tiri ( the most common one) af maay and the af rendille.

Language diversity in the horn is mad,

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Curious how Af maay and the hypothetical languages/dialects of Af garre, Jiddu and Tunni relate to Afaan oromo. Are some closer to it or further away from it is the question.

Somali itself should be a language group( lets called somaloid) with Af maxaa tiri ( the most common one) af maay and the af rendille.

I used to hear that Af-Maay and some of the others largely owed their differentiation from Af-Maxaa due to Oromo influences but I consulted some linguists and that doesn't seem to be true, though I do think they have some actual Oromo loans and evidence of contact. Af-Maay seems particularly closer to Oromo cos its lost consonants like "Xa, Kha and Ca" unlike Af-Maxaa. It's literally in the name differentiation between the two, lol. Even our own people noticed these consonants were a major difference between the two.

And there is a "Soomaali"/Somaloid grouping, walaal:

QiNXBNi.png

Look at "Proto-East Omo-Tana".

Ditto that. One cool thing I noticed, by the way, is that the word for "mouth" and sometimes also "language" in many Cushitic languages is the same:

Af Soomaali
Afaan Oromoo
Sidaamu Afoo
Qafar Af

The word is even present in Beja ("Yaf") as well as in Amharic (Afi/አፍ) and Tigrinya (Af/ኣፍ) as likely substrates from Agaw.

@Apollo What do you think of renaming "Cushitic" to be "Afitic"? It feels almost like destiny. Such a fitting word to have developed such a deep root within the branch as well.

Last edited:
I used to hear that Af-Maay and some of the others largely owed their differentiation from Af-Maxaa due to Oromo influences but I consulted some linguists and that doesn't seem to be true, though I do think they have some actual Oromo loans and evidence of contact. Af-Maay seems particularly closer to Oromo cos its lost consonants like "Xa, Kha and Ca" unlike Af-Maxaa. It's literally in the name differentiation between the two, lol. Even our own people noticed these consonants were a major difference between the two.

QiNXBNi.png

Ditto that. One cool thing I noticed, by the way, is that the word for "mouth" and sometimes also "language" in many Cushitic languages is the same:

Af Soomaali
Afaan Oromoo
Sidaamu Afoo
Qafar Af

The word is even present in Beja ("Yaf") as well as in Amharic (Afi/አፍ) and Tigrinya (Af/ኣፍ) as likely substrates from Agaw.

@Apollo What do you think of renaming "Cushitic" to be "Afitic". It feels almost like destiny. Such a fitting word to have developed such a deep root within the branch as well.
"Afitic"

CrZ8.gif

QiNXBNi.png

Af Soomaali
Afaan Oromoo
Sidaamu Afoo
Qafar Af

@Apollo What do you think of renaming "Cushitic" to be "Afitic"? It feels almost like destiny. Such a fitting word to have developed such a deep root within the branch as well.
Afitic sounds pretty

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@Apollo have the bejas and Somalis ever contacted before?
Why you asking him like he would know and I wouldn't?

york cries GIF

Jokes aside, I think most contact with Sudan was done by way of proxy through the continuous belt of Coastal Cushites from Southeastern Egypt down to our own coastline. Bejas, Tigres (Ethiosemitized Beja), Sahos, Afars and us:

sW0H6L6.png

Ideas clearly traveled up and down this continuous block. And I wouldn't doubt some Somali merchants and even Beja merchants made contact and went to each other's regions or met on the Arabian Peninsula but, for the most part, I don't know of much of direct. Would have to do some digging, wallahi.

Feel like @6:50 she missed a chance to say the Somali sentence like "Sagaal ilmo be qabta" which is very close to the Oromo "Ilmaani sagalii qabdi". It's too bad their language lost consonants like xa, ca and kha like Af-Maay did but unlike Canfar and Rendille or it would probably seem even more similar to Somali. Lots and lots of cognates with Afaan Oromoo:

0oMym2H.png

Depending on the dialect, the X, Kha etc are still visible. For example both Hararge and Boran use kha and Hararge also use x.

Trending

Latest posts