Something I've realized about Somali DNA in Ancestry tests.

you literally never ever find small amounts of Somali DNA. Our DNA is so exclusive due to our nomadic lifestyles. Literally the only people you find Somali DNA in are people who are full Somali or one of their parents are Somali.

It's so rare to find small amounts of Somali ancestry in people that everyone gets surprised and shocked when they see it.

idk, it's pretty cool to be honest, knowing how exclusive it is.

Cerberus

I started my own security company Cerberus.
VIP
you literally never ever find small amounts of Somali DNA. Our DNA is so exclusive due to our nomadic lifestyles. Literally the only people you find Somali DNA in are people who are full Somali or one of their parents are Somali.

It's so rare to find small amounts of Somali ancestry in people that everyone gets surprised and shocked when they see it.

idk, it's pretty cool to be honest, knowing how exclusive it is.
I've seen some Kenyans results with small Somali in them.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
A lot of ethiopians have small traces of somali blood. After the futuh al habash and the oromo expansion many Somalis dispersed all over the horn, some as far as western Ethiopia and eritrea

I’ve seen a few on Reddit. Some Ashkenazi Jews who have trace amounts that is probably noise, some AAs who have small amounts too. I saw a Rwandese who had some Somali dna as well as an Egyptian

mr.overeasy

The most eggcelent member
A lot of ethiopians have small traces of somali blood. After the futuh al habash and the oromo expansion many Somalis dispersed all over the horn, some as far as western Ethiopia and eritrea
based axmad gurey moment, spreading our lands as well as our good looks to the other east africans.

Apollo

VIP
@babooshke

That's because most people on 23andMe are from the Western world like white people, African Americans etc..

You will find people with more than 5% Somali in Eastern Oromos and probably also Samburu Kenyans. The Samburu tribe intermixes with the Rendille and the Rendille have ancient Somali origins.

Hararis are essentially Southern Amharas that moved to the East and mixed a little bit with Oromos, Somalis, South Asians and Middle Easterners, but their core ancestry is Amhara related.
Nope they're probably descendants of Harla people who originally lived in Harar

It is likely the original inhabitants of the region were the Harla people.[11] Harar was part of the Harla Kingdom's domain in the sixth century.

Apollo

VIP
Nope they're probably descendants of Harla people who originally lived in Harar

No evidence for it.

I have seen Harari autosomal results. They look like Amharas with minor Oromo & Somali admixture and also minor West Asian (low though, under 5% generally).

Harlas were more related to East Oromos or Northwest Somalis. They weren't Amhara-like.

Som

VIP
No evidence for it.

I have seen Harari autosomal results. They look like Amharas with minor Oromo & Somali admixture and also minor West Asian (low though, under 5% generally).

Harlas were more related to East Oromos or Northwest Somalis. They weren't Amhara-like.
Nobody knows exactly who the Harla people were. According to historians they were either cushitic or semitic speakers, they have been incorporated in the Harti clan among Daroods and also assimilated into Hararis, Afars and some Oromo clans.
I believe there are no genetic studies on Harlas specifically because their population is completely assimilated into the various groups that inhabit eastern ethiopia and northern Somalia. Some have suggested that Harlas have something to fo with madhibaan communities who speak a mysterious language called "af harlaad" but there's no conclusive evidence on this.

Apollo

VIP
Nobody knows exactly who the Harla people were. According to historians they were either cushitic or semitic speakers, they have been incorporated in the Harti clan among Daroods and also assimilated into Hararis, Afars and some Oromo clans.
I believe there are no genetic studies on Harlas specifically because their population is completely assimilated into the various groups that inhabit eastern ethiopia and northern Somalia. Some have suggested that Harlas have something to fo with madhibaan communities who speak a mysterious language called "af harlaad" but there's no conclusive evidence on this.

The native population of that region must have been similar to Eastern Oromos and Northwestern Somalis. So Harlas would be similar to those two.

Hararis are immigrants from the Southern Amhara region who ended up in the East. Similar to Gurages who moved from the Southern Amhara region into the SNNPR province, but their origins are from the Amhara province.

@babooshke

That's because most people on 23andMe are from the Western world like white people, African Americans etc..

You will find people with more than 5% Somali in Eastern Oromos and probably also Samburu Kenyans. The Samburu tribe intermixes with the Rendille and the Rendille have ancient Somali origins.
Have there been dna tests done on the Rendille showing their relation to Somalis?