Something I've realized about Somali DNA in Ancestry tests.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
@convincation I have seen people mention Karanle are haplogroup T, but still have not seen any of their results. A Murursade his sub clan is reer israfil sabti sub clan he is on FTD he is EV32.
There’s a lot of theories regarding israfil not really being murusade. I’m in the process of convincing my cousin who’s forculus to take the test, if I get him to do it I’ll post his results here

I've seen some Kenyans results with small Somali in t
@Cerberus ^I'm of Kenyan descent (non-Somali, Kalenjin to be specific). I took an ancestryDNA test and got 7% Ethiopia/Eritrea and 3% Somali in my results. I have no family from the horn, and doubt that the 3% is from a real Somali ancestor. However, a small number of my family/friends appear like people from the horn of Africa. My guess is that (minor) ancient cushitic ancestry is being detected, as I have seen Kalenjin results on ancestry with about 8% Ethiopia/Eritrea & Somali scores on average. Also, I was on an anthrogeneca forum the other day, looking at some Tutsi, Masai, and Kalenjin results. The Masai results had the highest Ethiopia/Somali scores (about 50%) and Kalenjin had the least (around 0-20%). We either absorbed some ancient cushitic group (ie Iraqw or Yaaku), or intermarried with tribes that already had cushitic admixture, a long time ago. The thing about Kalenjin people is that we are a very heterogenous group that has adopted/intermarried with neighboring tribes over the centuries (Masai, Kamba, Kisii, Kikuyu, etc.). So, you will find Kalenjin people that look Bantu, Nilotic, and sometimes Cushitic. It really depends on the clan & sub-tribe. Most major Kenyan tribes of Nilotic/Bantu origin have at least minor ancient cushitic ancestry. And that is probably why we get small Somali scores on dna tests.

Last edited:

Pre-frhnn

Sheikh Faarax
There’s a lot of theories regarding israfil not really being murusade. I’m in the process of convincing my cousin who’s forculus to take the test, if I get him to do it I’ll post his results here
If that’s true, then the Murusade would be T and therefore Samaale would not be a real person as Murusade is Hawiye, so Hawiye wouldn’t be a real person either. Best bet would be just saying Murusade is either non-Hawiye or it’s full E-V32

Nobody knows exactly who the Harla people were. According to historians they were either cushitic or semitic speakers, they have been incorporated in the Harti clan among Daroods and also assimilated into Hararis, Afars and some Oromo clans.
I believe there are no genetic studies on Harlas specifically because their population is completely assimilated into the various groups that inhabit eastern ethiopia and northern Somalia. Some have suggested that Harlas have something to fo with madhibaan communities who speak a mysterious language called "af harlaad" but there's no conclusive evidence on this.
I always wonder who the decendants of the harla are. I thought hawle and harla were the same but was told they were not. The harla seem to be a harari somali afar connected people who were one of the groups that fought along Ahmed gurey. I’ve thought of the so called hidden language people say the Madhimaan speak and how maybe it’s origins are an just an old Harari or afar language.

I found this interesting piece online. Copied and pasted some of it below.

“ Among the texts collected by the Dardortì branch, a new historical source has also been retrieved during the field mission29. It refers to the genealogy of the family and to their migration to Awsa, their territorial expansion in search of grazing and to the war arisen against the Awsa people. The text confirms that they dried the lake which in the time of their arrival occupied the region of Awsa, to farm30.

The lineage from the Ḥaralla tribe is well attested in this text: the name of the tribe is given in the two variants Ḥarallā and Ḥarla that in the text are reported by a certain Yūsuf, collector of the mosque of Šayḫ Ādam which is situated at the border of Yemen, on the seaport of Moḫā.

The eponymous founder of the clan, Ḥarallā, is said to have three brothers: all their children scattered between Awsa, Harar, and Berbera. Going back to the ancestors of the clan, a forefather of Ḥarallā, Dārūt, eponymous founder of the famous Somali tribe of the Darood, is said to be from Mecca in the text, and then to have moved to Zaylaʻ. His father was the well known Ismāʻīl b. Ibrāhīm al-Ǧabartī, from Zabīd, whose ancestors are believed to descend directly from the Banū Hašim and the Qurayš.

The Kabirto and the Dardortì, descendants of the Ḥarallā, seem to consider themselves ʻAfar and speak ʻAfar language, so it’s somehow surprising to see in their genealogy the presence of the ancestor of one of the major Somali clan. In the Chronicle of ʻAmdä Ṣəyon (14th century) the Ḥarlā are mentioned as an independent and sedentary population.

In the Futūḥ al-Habaša, many names of Ḥarlā’s clans are still understandable in ʻAfar and the group is always distinguished from the Somali, so it is possible to suppose that their integration in the Somali lineage is later than the 16th century (date of the redaction of the Futūḥ).”

Would be great to test these afar harla groups.

Last edited: