Some Thoughts on Dark Skin & Somalis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not always . Guys don't throw around claims with no sources. Standards of beauty are dictated by those in power. I do know that in Somalia skin colour wasn't as important as your qabiil because reer xamar's weren't seen as superior. However now colourism /shadeism is becoming huge. Girls put white powder on their face for makeup during wedding ceremonies. It's ridiculous. White supremacist notions are global.
Lightskin has pretty much always been the benchmark for female beauty in all cultures not just ours. As for us males, skin tone doesn't matter at all.

Not always . Guys don't throw around claims with no sources. Standards of beauty are dictated by those in power. I do know that in Somalia skin colour wasn't as important as your qabiil because reer xamar's weren't seen as superior. However now colourism /shadeism is becoming huge. Girls put white powder on their face for makeup during wedding ceremonies. It's ridiculous. White supremacist notions are global.

So r u saying in todays Somalia Reer Xamars are considered superior to ethnic Somalis due to their lighter skin?

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
I'll read this more thoroughly later but you are generally correct about beauty ideals but I think you're simplifying the implications a tad.

We do have some misguided folk who liken our beauty ideals to the west but that doesn't stop the perplexity of why they exist in the first place. The end result is still the same often times.

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
In what ways does it manifest itself? Give some examples.
Well for starters anyone light skinned is considered beautiful even if they have ugly features or jarer hair. I've seen this within Somalis and on this very forum too. I've also heard the phrases "he/she is so light and beautiful they look arab". Not to mention the diana epidemic and every wedding I go to females are wearing foundation 3+ shades lighter than their actual skin tone.

When girls are getting married they are told "iis nuuri" and most brides almost always bleach for their wedding day. Why do you think Somali girls are running off with rogers and falafels? To have light skinned good hair kids duhhh! And the ones who marry tyrones are rare and are less accepted in the Somali community compared to the ones who marry white, arabs, asians etc.

Lets be real and stop thinking you're above colourism because Somalis arent. The only good thing Somalis got going is their strong culture which is why they hardly accept interriacial marriages.

The only reason you're denying colourism exists is because you want Somalis to not come across as self haters and to be different to AAs. The only difference between Somalis and AAs is the culture differences. Somalis are coons for Arabs just like AAs are coons for whites which is why Somalis always claim a mythical arab daddy.

The SJWs on twitter know nothing about somali culture. They have been raised in western environments where race and skin color are big deals. It's understandable why they act the way they do but to an extent. How can skin color be a problem in our community when in every somali family, there is usually a divide in the number of people from dark to light? this goes for the faaraxs too because it seems many of them have been brainwashed into 'light skin' only whereas back home, men are usually indifferent to the color of the women and are more concerned with other things, like the ones you have mentioned.

If you listen to old somali music, men praised women for the length of their necks, hair, having small waist, having big eyes, having full lips etc..skin color was hardly a thing until recently.

I agree with everything you wrote.
The SJWs on twitter know nothing about somali culture. They have been raised in western environments where race and skin color are big deals. It's understandable why they act the way they do but to an extent. How can skin color be a problem in our community when in every somali family, there is usually a divide in the number of people from dark to light? this goes for the faaraxs too because it seems many of them have been brainwashed into 'light skin' only whereas back home, men are usually indifferent to the color of the women and are more concerned with other things, like the ones you have mentioned.

If you listen to old somali music, men praised women for the length of their necks, hair, having small waist, having big eyes, having full lips etc..skin color was hardly a thing until recently.

Well for starters anyone light skinned is considered beautiful even if they have ugly features or jarer hair. I've seen this within Somalis and on this very forum too. I've also heard the phrases "he/she is so light and beautiful they look arab". Not to mention the diana epidemic and every wedding I go to females are wearing foundation 3+ shades lighter than their actual skin tone.

When girls are getting married they are told "iis nuuri" and most brides almost always bleach for their wedding day. Why do you think Somali girls are running off with rogers and falafels? To have light skinned good hair kids duhhh! And the ones who marry tyrones are rare and are less accepted in the Somali community compared to the ones who marry white, arabs, asians etc.

Lets be real and stop thinking you're above colourism because Somalis arent. The only good thing Somalis got going is their strong culture which is why they hardly accept interriacial marriages.

The only reason you're denying colourism exists is because you want Somalis to not come across as self haters and to be different to AAs. The only difference between Somalis and AAs is the culture differences. Somalis are coons for Arabs just like AAs are coons for whites which is why Somalis always claim a mythical arab daddy.

Non of those are examples of colourism, ur just telling us Somalis think being light skinned is attractive that's all. Colourism by definition necessitates a social hierarchy based on skin colour which doesn't exist within Somali society.

Reign

VIP
Non of those are examples of colourism, ur just telling us Somalis think being light skinned is attractive that's all. Colourism by definition necessitates a social hierarchy based on skin colour which doesn't exist within Somali society.
Thinking lighter skin = more attractive is colourism. There is no social hierarchy based on skin colour accept with south Asians in Asia not in the west. In Somalia and the middle east its more of social hierarchy based on tribe or family background, but thats not to say colourism doesnt exist there.

Thinking lighter skin = more attractive is colourism. There is no social hierarchy based on skin colour accept with south Asians in Asia not in the west. In Somalia and the middle east its more of social hierarchy based on tribe or family background, but thats not to say colourism doesnt exist there.

Lol Well big eyes are considered attractive and so is a well shaped nose, why dont u problematize that as well since not everyone is blessed with nice eyes and a nice nose for example?

Colourism means we hold prejudice and discriminate against darker Somalis. We absolutely do not do this. Give one example of discrimination based on skin colour.

First of all stop generalizing UK minority phenomena onto the wider Somali collectivity. Majority of Somali women from anywhere else are not running off to marry abu roger or a falaafel. Certainly not because of ''Light skinned Babies'' which is nonsense.

Let me correct you on this one. It is true many women think that lighter skin is attractive or appealing. Thats because after the civil war the majority’s understanding of beauty has been depicted by the TV, Arab, Indian and American shows. There are no Somali/African TV cables in Somalia.

However people don't equate skin color to social status. Higher status in Somaliland/Djibouti is determined by Wealth and Lineages. You are not going to get any priviliges, jobs oppurtunity, high positions due to your skin tone. Nor are people going to marry you for skin color.

Also bleaching the skin is not about appearing white to copy the white man’s claim to superiority. Its just ignorance!

It is lack of culture and identity. Them emulating what what stupid Arabs and Indians do ,then exporting norms and costumes and beauty ideals alien to our culture.

They think Cad iyo Diana is just Hip and cool.

Somalis are coons for Arabs just like AAs are coons for whites which is why Somalis always claim a mythical arab daddy

Somalis are not coons for Arabs. Claiming symbolic descent from the Prophet (PEACE BE UPON HIM), is religious symbolism, that holds no practical or political importance. It has nothing to do with Arabs and has everything to do with Islam. It is the product of islamization of Somali culture.

''This aspect of their genealogy has little practical or political importance. In traditional Somali culture it is important for each child to learn his genealogy up to the level of clan family, beyond that no real significance emerges.''

23sitj.jpg

Use your brain why else have we retained our unique culture ,language, ethnic make up and overall separate identity despite the the close proximity if we want to coon or claim Arabs?

What you are saying is as stupid as saying Japanese coon for the Chinese because the latter influenced the other. Any influence we accepted , we did so by our own terms.

Last edited:

Reign

VIP
Lol Well big eyes are considered attractive and so is a well shaped nose, why dont u problematize that as well since not everyone is blessed with nice eyes and a nice nose for example?

Colourism means we hold prejudice and discriminate against darker Somalis. We absolutely do not do this. Give one example of discrimination based on skin colour.
No race hold prejudice and discrimination against their darker skin people, they just simply think they are less attractive. Dont get me started on the nose thing. Long slender nose is a european standard of beauty where a more black nose is seen as ugly. Even beak nosed Arabs are obsessed with long slender noses.

First of all stop generalizing UK minority phenomena onto the wider Somali collectivity. Majority of Somali women from anywhere else are not running off to marry abu roger or a falaafel. Certainly not because of ''Light skinned Babies'' which is nonsense.

Let me correct you on this one. It is true many women think that lighter skin is attractive or appealing. Thats because after the civil war the majority’s understanding of beauty has been depicted by the TV, Arab, Indian and American shows. There are no Somali/African TV cables in Somalia.

However people don't equate skin color to social status. Higher status in Somaliland/Djibouti is determined by Wealth and Lineages. You are not going to get any priviliges, jobs oppurtunity, high positions due to your skin tone. Nor are people going to marry you for skin color.

Also bleaching the skin is not about appearing white to copy the white man’s claim to superiority. Its just ignorance!

It is lack of culture and identity. Them emulating what what stupid Arabs and Indians do ,then exporting norms and costumes and beauty ideals alien to our culture.

Somalis are not coons for Arabs. Claiming symbolic descent from the Prophet (PEACE BE UPON HIM), is religious symbolism, that holds no practical or political importance. It has nothing to do with Arabs and has everything to do with Islam. It is the product of islamization of Somali culture.

''This aspect of their genealogy has little practical or political importance. In traditional Somali culture it is important for each child to learn his genealogy up to the level of clan family, beyond that no real significance emerges.''

23sitj.jpg

Somalis have never been coons for Arabs. Use your brain why else have we retained our unique culture ,language, genetic make up and overall separate identity despite the the close proximity if want to coon or claim Arabs?

What you are saying stupid as saying Japanese coon for the Chinese because the latter influenced the other. Any influence accept we did so by our own terms.
I agree with this. The Arab "bootyclapping" bs is not just SJW phenomenon though it's all over this forum.

Reign

VIP

23sitj.jpg

Somalis have never been coons for Arabs. Use your brain why else have we retained our unique culture ,language, genetic make up and overall separate identity despite the the close proximity if want to coon or claim Arabs?

What you are saying stupid as saying Japanese coon for the Chinese because the latter influenced the other.
The Japanese and Chinese are essentially the same people and look the same. Somalis and Arabs arent the same in any sense except religion. And yes people do actually get married based on skin colour. No one bleaches to look cool or hip they do it because they think it's more beautiful. I'm tired of Somalis putting themselves on a pedestal and acting like they don't face the same problems as other communities do. Somalis are too effected by the european standard of beauty just like other races are. It might not have been there a few 100 years ago but it sure is there now.

No race hold prejudice and discrimination against their darker skin people, they just simply think they are less attractive. Dont get me started on the nose thing. Long slender nose is a european standard of beauty where a more black nose is seen as ugly. Even beak nosed Arabs are obsessed with long slender noses.

So the brown paper bag test among African americans is not clear discrimination against their darker counterparts? Asian cultures regarding someone with darker skin as lower and unsuitable for marriage is not discrimination? These are examples of colourism, we have no such notions in our society alhamdulillah. I can marry an ethnic Somali girl as dark as the night and no one in my family would blink an eye, but if I married a reer xamar they may have issues with it.

As for a nice nose being a European standard of beauty loool that's just preposterous. So Somalis are not able to like something on their own without it being based on what Europeans like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending