Some questions about genetics

greyhound stone

The Boss💎
VIP
If somalis have nilo Saharan blood then why do we not carry any of their haplogroups??? Maternal or paternal

How do some Europeans have e1b1b if its an african haplogroup??

How did our middle Eastern ancestors arrive in sudan??? Because I'm guessing cushites were born in sudan.
How old are somalis the ethnic group???

greyhound stone

The Boss💎
VIP
I'm a novice btw ?? Don't know much about genetics. Ngl I was kinda disappointed when I found our cushites were anciently admixed because I was kind tired of bantus saying somalis are mixed but I guess it was true :mjcry: :mjcry:

If somalis have nilo Saharan blood then why do we not carry any of their haplogroups??? Maternal or paternal

How did our middle Eastern ancestors arrive in sudan??? Because I'm guessing cushites were born in sudan.

Somalis do not carry Nilo Saharan admixture in the modern sense. The African admixture in Somalis is ancient and share common ancestors with modern day Nilo Saharans. You can clearly see this with many of the maternal lineages Somalis carry.

Based

VIP
I'm a novice btw ?? Don't know much about genetics. Ngl I was kinda disappointed when I found our cushites were anciently admixed because I was kind tired of bantus saying somalis are mixed but I guess it was true :mjcry: :mjcry:
Who do they think we're mixed with loool:silanyolaugh:

greyhound stone

The Boss💎
VIP
Somalis do not carry Nilo Saharan admixture in the modern sense. The African admixture in Somalis is ancient and share common ancestors with modern day Nilo Saharans. You can clearly see this with many of the maternal lineages Somalis carry.
So you are saying that our african ancestors and modern Nilotes share ancestors

I've seen studies on this, most African Americans still carry west african haplogroups, it's not surpassed by R1a/R1b or the european Y markers

@greyhound stone

Resource acquisition was likely the main motivating factor for our Ancient North African-Middle Eastern ancestors to migrate along the Nile River. It's highly probable they came into conflict with Ancient Nilotes as they travelled South & proceeded to annihilate the Nilotic Male population in the areas they conquered & procreated with the local females over time. Hence why the vast majority of North-Eastern Africans have Eurasian Paternal Haplogroups.

Apollo

VIP
Haplogroups are not the same as autosomal/genome-wide ancestry, especially not paternal HGs.

Somalis have bottlenecked/founder-effected paternal haplogroup frequencies that do not represent their total ancestry. This is called a founder effect, use the search tool for this word, getting kind of tired of explaining this.

E1b1b1 (E-M35) is a North African origin haplogroup. The oldest sample of E-M78 were found in Northern Morocco very close to when this lineage emerged (Somalis have this variant of E-M35). Virtually all populations who carry this lineage got some North African autosomal ancestry.

The people who spread E-M35 into Europe were genetically like Natufians/Arab-like, they weren't like Somalis. It got into Europe via Levantine origin farmers moving through Anatolia into the Balkans.

The maternal haplogroup ratios of Somalis are a better representation of the autosomal/genome-wide ancestry. Somalis are about 60% maternal L, which is associated with Sub-Saharan African autosomal ancestry and the remaining 40% are various subtypes of N and M1 which are associated with North African and Middle Eastern autosomal ancestry. This ratio is nearly identical to the autosomal ratio. Female lineages tend not to undergo founder effects.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
The people who spread E-M35 into Europe were genetically like Natufians/Arab-like, they weren't like Somalis. It got into Europe via Levantine origin farmers moving through Anatolia into the Balkans.

Do we know what these people looked like? Can we make any guesses about their skin-colour? I read somewhere that the ancient admixture which produced Somalis took place before the mutation for light skin, is this true?

This is a meme btw. Every group is mixed, there is no such thing as being 'pure' genetically speaking. West African Bantus may even be mixed with anything from non-Homo sapiens to north Africans. https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-in-west-africa-reveals-ghost-human-ancestor/

Apollo

VIP
Do we know what these people looked like? Can we make any guesses about their skin-colour? I read somewhere that the ancient admixture which produced Somalis took place before the mutation for light skin, is this true?

The earliest farmers who went into Europe are closest to today's Levantines (especially Samaritans and Negev Bedouins). Modern-day Levantines have more Sub-Saharan African autosomal ancestry than those Ancient Levantine farmers did. So it is highly unlikely that they looked anything like Somalis. More likely they looked like some prehistoric pseudo-Arab types.

Go read up on Awale Anthromadness blogpost. He will explain Somali & Horn African genetics in a easier way. https://anthromadness.blogspot.com/2015/07/horn-africans-mixture-between-east.html.

Som

VIP

1)We have a high percentage of subsaharan african maternal haplogroups which we share with other africans including nilotic people and Bantus
2) E1b1b has many subgroups, the original form probably originated in north east africa(sudan/Egypt) or in the Horn , white people (greeks,albanians, some jews etc) who have E1b1b have a different subgroup than Somalis
3)our ancestors came back to africa by foot probably
4) the earliest written historical evidence of a modern somali clan dates back to the XII century when arab geographers mentioned the Hawiye clan living in Merca, of course somalis are much older than that. My uninformed guess would be that modern somalis as a distinct ethnic-linguistic group probably originated somewhere between the 1st and 2nd century AD.

1)We have a high percentage of subsaharan african maternal haplogroups which we share with other africans including nilotic people and Bantus
2) E1b1b has many subgroups, the original form probably originated in north east africa(sudan/Egypt) or in the Horn , white people (greeks,albanians, some jews etc) who have E1b1b have a different subgroup than Somalis
3)our ancestors came back to africa by foot probably
4) the earliest written historical evidence of a modern somali clan dates back to the XII century when arab geographers mentioned the Hawiye clan living in Merca, of course somalis are much older than that. My uninformed guess would be that modern somalis as a distinct ethnic-linguistic group probably originated somewhere between the 1st and 2nd century AD.
Yup. Somali ancient origins are already settled at this point.
Somalis are an ancient mixture of Ancient North African (prehistoric-Egyptian-like)(~40%), Ancient North Sudanese (prehistoric-Dinka-like)(~50%) & Ancient Paleolithic Horner Hunter-gatherer (prehistoric-Somali-like)(~10%). This admixture primarily occurred during the Mesolithic/Neolithic Eras (~20,000 - ~15,000 years ago). These are all the ancestral components present in ALL ethnic Somalis (& to varying degrees in other Cushites) since all Somalis are autosomally admixed in the same proportions. Somalis also carry the lowest (~1-5%) Omotic/Mota Southwest Ethiopian autosomal admixture.

Somalis ancestors also evolved in a dry-semi arid climate of Soomaaliweyn hence why most Somalis are Dolichocephalic (long-headed), narrow-nosed, soft-haired, ectomorphic-framed, & have pseudo-Caucasian physical features. Somalis are also multigenerational admixed hence why their facial features lay on a physical spectrum & gradually blend together ranging from North African/Mediterranean Caucasoid to sub-Saharan East African/Nilotic Negroid, with skin tones ranging from olive, caramel, reddish/golden brown, & jet-black. Somali hair textures ranging from very-fine wavy/straight, curly, to Afro-textured hair, 2A-4A hair texture range.

Only 'we wuz pure Somalis' who don't understand genetics & anthropology try & deny it.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I also have a question. E-v16 is native to East Africa and is rare. is it present in some somalis.

Trending