Some Kikuyus/Kenyans have a strong Cushitic look

Status
Not open for further replies.

World

VIP

This got retweeted on my TL, RIP to his daughter. She is full Kikuyu but has very strong Cushitic features.

Dalmoor

Hiatusβœ… 1/18/21- ?
VIP
Kenyans and other cushitics in the horn have got strong white teeth unlike the Brits.:siilaanyosmile:

Apollo

VIP
But is the term Nilotic correct?

Basically non-Afro-Asiatic indigenous Sudanese peoples. Whatever label you want to slap on it. Proto-Nilote, Nilotic etc.. most people get the idea while it isn't perhaps completely correct.

That is e1b1b Somalis.

T Somalis carry the exact same North Sudanese whole genome/autosomal ancestry as E1b1b Somalis. Nothing different about them besides a another Y-Lineage.

Bohol

VIP
Basically non-Afro-Asiatic indigenous Sudanese peoples. Whatever label you want to slap on it. Proto-Nilote, Nilotic etc.. most people get the idea while it isn't perhaps completely correct.

T Somalis carry the exact same North Sudanese autosomal ancestry as E1b1b Somalis. Nothing different about them besides a different Y-Lineage.

Is that true intermarriage with the E1b1b Somalis or same immigration pattern?

Apollo

VIP
Is that true intermarriage with the E1b1b Somalis or same immigration pattern?

Most ethnic groups have several haplogroups. Whole genome/autosomal ancestry goes by ethnic groups, not paternal tribes.

An E1b1b Albanian and a J2 Albanian have the same overall ancestry for example and look similar

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Kikuyus there is strong evidence they were originally a cushitic tribe.

You mean some of them absorbed the Nilos and South Cushites that once lived there. Claiming they are a Cushitic tribe is akin to me saying Turks are Polynesian. :siilaanyolaugh: Sit this one out James.

FYI she looks more Rwandan like.

She's probably mostly West-central African with some Nilosaharan and minor South Cushitic affinities. There might be some in-group variability among them but I'd ask @Apollo.

You mean some of them absorbed the Nilos and South Cushites that once lived there. Claiming they are a Cushitic tribe is akin to me saying Turks are Polynesian. :siilaanyolaugh: Sit this one out James.

FYI she looks more Rwandan like.

She's probably mostly West-central African with some Nilosaharan and minor South Cushitic affinities.

It's not just looks and language though, Kikuyus have age sets and age grades, that's a very strong indicator of cushitic. Their worship of Ngai has all the markers of being Waaq worship and that they call Waaq Ngai. They worship Ngai under sycamore trees and consider the wagar tree to be holy. They are clearly a Cushitic tribe that has drifted away in terms of language and lifestyle, adopting a Bantu language (albeit with strong Cushitic substrate) and Bantu agricultural practices.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
It's not just looks and language though, Kikuyus have age sets and age grades, that's a very strong indicator of cushitic. Their worship of Ngai has all the markers of being Waaq worship and that they call Waaq Ngai. They worship Ngai under sycamore trees and consider the wagar tree to be holy. They are clearly a Cushitic tribe that has drifted away in terms of language and lifestyle, adopting a Bantu language (albeit with strong Cushitic substrate) and Bantu agricultural practices.

Dear James,

:farole: Why am I not buying it. I will defer to the denizen of DNA and the story it tells. Kikiyu might have Cushitic inputs and some similarities more so than other Bantu-speakers in Kenya but they aren't Cushitic. I would claim the Ethio-Semetic speaking Ethiopians as more Cushitic as there is legitimate evidence for a language shift. Anyway, this is not my wheel house.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
I don't have all the answers but I think the Kikuyu ancient Cushitic connection merits further investigation
kikuyas are not cushites their mostly Bantu genetically speaking they are just another bantu group they did not speak or have previously spoken cushitic they allways spoke bantu and they are not made up of cushites but made up of bantus from west africa

they are primarily bantu with minor nilotic and minor cushitic input probably around 14 percent

ethiopians spoke cushitic before and are probably around 70 percent cushitic genetically and are regarded as a sub group of cushites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts