Somalis in Mocha, Yemen in the 18th century

This is a map Mokha from 1764 made by the french cartographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin. It shows that the city had a sizable Somali quarter outside the city walls . Mokha was the major port for coffee in the world at that time and as the coffee beans came from Ethiopia, it was Somali traders who lived between the Ethiopian highlands and the Yemeni coast that shipped the coffee beans to Mokha. In fact the european explorer who visited the town George Annesly said that up to two thirds of the coffee beans in Mokha came from Berbera. He also wrote on Somalis in his book:

The Samaulies, who inhabit the whole coast from Gardafui to the Straits [Bab-el-Mandeb], and through whose territories the whole produce of the interior of Africa must consequently reach Arabia, have been represented by Mr. Bruce, and many others, as a savage race, with whom it would be dangerous to have connection. I think that this is an unjust accusation, and is sufficiently disproved by the extent of their inland trade, their great fairs, and their large exports in their own vessels. A great number of them live close to Mocha, and are a peaceful inoffensive race."
1681682798615.png

Source: Voyages and Travels to India, Ceylon, The Red Sea, Abyssinia, and Egypt in the Years 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805, and 1806, by Goerge Annesly

This is a map Mokha from 1764 made by the french cartographer Jacques-Nicolas Bellin. It shows that the city had a sizable Somali quarter outside the city walls . Mokha was the major port for coffee in the world at that time and as the coffee beans came from Ethiopia, it was Somali traders who lived between the Ethiopian highlands and the Yemeni coast that shipped the coffee beans to Mokha. In fact the european explorer who visited the town George Annesly said that up to two thirds of the coffee beans in Mokha came from Berbera. He also wrote on Somalis in his book:

The Samaulies, who inhabit the whole coast from Gardafui to the Straits [Bab-el-Mandeb], and through whose territories the whole produce of the interior of Africa must consequently reach Arabia, have been represented by Mr. Bruce, and many others, as a savage race, with whom it would be dangerous to have connection. I think that this is an unjust accusation, and is sufficiently disproved by the extent of their inland trade, their great fairs, and their large exports in their own vessels. A great number of them live close to Mocha, and are a peaceful inoffensive race."
View attachment 267161
Source: Voyages and Travels to India, Ceylon, The Red Sea, Abyssinia, and Egypt in the Years 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805, and 1806, by Goerge Annesly
The coffee trade from Harar to Berbera to the world. Us Somalis don’t get the credit for coffee like we should have unfortunately.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Somalis were everywhere in Aden back then as well and doing everything imaginable work wise while supposedly being the best policemen and being so crucial to the economy that a mass exodus on their part would be unacceptable:

s1EB3TE.png

OoezgWn.png

Not sure about the population but they also held a strong relationship with Mukalla to the east and Oman as I mentioned elsewhere:

The reverse also happened. You will find Omanis and some eastern Yemenis with names like

-insert first name- bin -insert aabo's name- al-Daroodi
-insert first name- bin -insert aabo's name- al-Dishishi

And so forth. Northeasterners had very strong ties with Oman and eastern Yemen like the port of Mukalla:

2bDr9Qv.png

Here they are basically making an agreement that anyone who is a criminal in either the ruler of Mukalla's lands or the Harti Suldaans' lands is a criminal on both sides. Since I was quite young I've had relations tell me about places like Salalah and implore me to go because there are Carabs there who look Carab but are supposedly tribally Somali (like Harti subtribes) and they fully remember their genealogies and overflow with joy whenever they get to meet "kinsmen" from Somalia and welcome you graciously.

I remember seeing this map on the thread Shimbiris made on Somali seafaring & boats thread. Very valuable information there, I would recommend everyone read through it.

Trending