Somalis identity STRONG

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
Anyone notice somalia has been colonized by british and italians and these colonizers didn't influence or change us one bit other than having a few loan words from there languages aka italian words and food - pasta.

Most countries colonized lose their culture and identity look at the Philippines they have full on American accents and some have spanish last names, even congo majority speak french.
Somalis had to much pride they didn't bother learning English ( majority).
Even the Italian language didn't last long in Somalia because parents didn't pass it down to there Children.

Last edited:

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
I would love for us to claim credit but I think the type of colonialism we experienced has more to do with it. The French use a lot of soft power to culturally assimilate their colonies. The Brits/Italians didn’t, and I think the British couldn’t, because of some treaty with the Darwish. I’m not sure, but I remember reading about it. Part of keeping the peace meant Brits couldn’t have kids in Somali territory ( and there for lay claim to the land like they did SA).

Apollo

VIP
Somalia had its own lingua franca (Af-Somali), countries where colonial languages became dominant were due to the lack of a national language.

If Italy managed to colonize Ethiopia earlier, I think the Italian language would have been widely spoken in Ethiopia like how French or English are today in countries colonized by them.

QueenofKings

Somalia had its own lingua franca (Af-Somali), countries where colonial languages became dominant were due to the lack of a national language.

If Italy managed to colonize Ethiopia earlier, I think the Italian language would have been widely spoken in Ethiopia like how French or English are today in countries colonized by them.

good point!

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
good point!

India was colonized by britain, they didn't have a national language too but are strong with there identity.

Apollo

VIP
India was colonized by britain, they didn't have a national language too but are strong with there identity.

English is huge in India.. especially among the educated classes. Lots of major companies put their customer service centers or IT help desks in India because so many of them speak English. Moreover, India does have a national language (Hindi).

I don't think it has anything to do with pride or strong identities why some countries took on foreign languages. It is a matter of pragmatism.

That is true I had a Nigerian classmate who said English is their national language. As their are so many languages, English is the only one spoken across the board. .

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
English is huge in India.. especially among the educated classes. Lots of major companies put their customer service centers or IT help desks in India because so many of them speak English. Moreover, India does have a national language (Hindi).

I don't think it has anything to do with pride or strong identities why some countries took on foreign languages. It is a matter of pragmatism.
They're bilingual , they use it for only work. But still fluent in their native language
The language isn't lost like the majority of these colonized countries .....

I think some countries got sent violent cadaanst like the ones sent to New Zealand and Australia , the natives were raped, forced into marrying white men, weren't allowed to speak their language or would get beaten up to the point they lost there whole cultural history. They're close to being extent.

Apollo

VIP
They're bilingual , they use it for only work. But still fluent in their native language

I think some countries got sent violent cadaanst like the ones sent to New Zealand and Australia , the natives were raped, forced into marrying white men, weren't allowed to speak their language or would get beaten up to the point they lost there whole cultural history. They're close to being extent.

If Dir, Isaaq, Darod, Hawiye, and Raxanweyn all spoke different languages.. I think we would all be speaking English, Pasta, or Arabic.

QueenofKings

But African languages are not lost either. Those people are bilingual. Don’t you see Nigerian and Ghanaians dipping in and out of English and their tribal language.

Apollo

VIP
But African languages are not lost either. Those people are bilingual. Don’t you see Nigerian and Ghanaians dipping in and out of English and their tribal language.

There are some though who only speak creole English or creole French as their native (first) language.

Apollo

VIP
There's some I know who only speak english they mentally enslaved

I think some second/third gen diaspora Somalis will be raised in European languages soon, even with two Somali parents. Especially once the zoomer diaspora Somalis will start having kids.

Some Western Somalis speak Somali so bad, they will be unable to pass it on to the next generation.